Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Suggestions for horse training?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Suggestions for horse training? Next Topic  

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  2:12:01 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Back in January in my guy adopted a horse, Henry. Henry had been dumped with several other horses outside of town. He seems to be in pretty fair health now. Henry has some meat on his bones and my guy is ready to start training him. The gal that is boarding Henry is also trying to help. But Henry has been abused in the past and he just doesn't quite trust this lady and her husband, but he's gotten used to my guy. She said it's a shame he doesn't know more about training horses, cause Henry would take to learning from much better.

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice or tell me of any good horse training dvd's or books. I'm clueless when it comes to horses.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile
100 years ago when we had a horse We spent a lot of time just getting him to know us and then would do things in steps, blanket on back, next saddle, and on and on. Of course this poor baby has been abused so I don't know other than trust.
We have gotten dogs that have been abused and once they trust us and know we are here for the long haul they have become the most loyal and loving animals. Not sure if it is same concept, been along time since had any horse around.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

arabianhorselover
True Blue Farmgirl

422 Posts

Jennifer
Bedias TX
USA
422 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  4:12:37 PM  Show Profile
Do you have the RFD Channel? They have alot of horseshows with Natural Horsemanship. Pat Parelli, Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Dennis Reis to name a few. They are all basicially the same but they use their own technique. You can also look their name up on the web for all their websites if you like.
They all work if you just take the time and you need to be consistant in everything you do with them. Good Luck but most of all have fun with it.

Breeder of Straight Egyptian Arabians and SportHorses
www.whisperwindsarabians.com
Farmgirl Sister #561
Never squat with your spurs on!!!
http://twitter.com/arabhorselover
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile
I'd spend about ten minutes a day just sitting with him. Let him look at you, inspect you, smell you, etc... That's what I do when I get an abused dog or cat. Eventually they'll come around. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  4:53:01 PM  Show Profile
Bless your heart! You've been given great advice. I just wanted to chime in and congratulate you for openning your heart to a horse who needs you. :) Horsey hug! Love to see before/after pics.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Jul 07 2009 4:53:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  6:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I'll have to remember to take my camera next time I go out to see Henry. Thank you for the help and encouragement!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  7:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Of the RFD TV guys, I like Clinton Anderson and Dennis Reis the best. I would read a lot of books as well and try to watch some videos about round penning and body language. It is very important to use the right body language and to watch for body language with the horse as well.

Never let the horse get away with things. They are dead smart and if they learn they can barge past you, they will push that limit time and time again. It's really hard to re-train but easy to prevent. I guess that is the best advice I have ever gotten about working with horses.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SandyJ
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Sandra
Waitsburg WA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Amen to Alee. Read, read, read. and know that the time has got to be spent.

Sandyj
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:34:06 AM  Show Profile
I work for a horse rescue and I have horses of my own. The idea of sitting with him to get him use to you is a great idea, doing things like brushing and bathing is a great place to start building trust. As far as trainers and videos etc. Clinton Anderson is really great. He took one of our rescue horses and is working with her. He does great video's and has a website it is downunderhorsemanship.com or something like that. Just Google Clinton Anderson and it will come up. He is an excellent trainer and his videos are very easy to follow.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

KansasConnie
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Connie
Atchison County Kansas
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  11:30:36 AM  Show Profile
Henry is one lucky fellow! And your guy will do just fine training him! The relationship is the part that is most important!! Like the other girls said just bonding with the horse and understanding him is invaluable!!

Kansas Connie
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  9:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, what does your guy want to do with Henry? To my mind, if he knew what he was aiming for, it'd be easier to go thataway. I agree with letting the horse get to know you but then the ball is in your court. Your fella has to lead the way and Henry is to follow. In my experience, be sorta careful with all the Natural Horsemanship stuff out there. You want more natural styled horsemanship, there is a difference. I like Anderson and McNabb a lot as they are more traditional/classical type trainers and that has been around for years. Just cuz it's old fashioned doesn't mean it's abusive or mean. If done properly, it's the best way to go.

If youre guy just wants to plunk around, he can do that. If he wants to properly train him, he'll probably need some hands on help with reliable trainers, not just someone who went to a clinic and calls himself a trainer.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
All he's focused on at this time is getting Henry trained for trail riding. I know in the past he had a horse that was trained for roping and I know he'd like to get back into that someday. I don't know if he wants that for Henry yet.

His old horse, Blackie, he had to sell due to finace problems. Blackie was already trained when he got him.

The boarders, husband and wife, they have at least 6 other horses at their place. I know there were a couple of others out in the field that I didn't get to see up close. But there were 6 in the barn that the couple has trained. I don't know how many they trained or how long they've been working with horses. They seem like they're really good with the animals and seem to know what they are doing, but like I said I know absolutley nothing. So.....

Right now I think he's just ready for the busy farm season to hurry up and get done so he can spend more time working with Henry.

Melanie

Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile
As a horse trainer myself, I suggest that if you and your guy have never trained a horse before that you enlist some professional help with your Henry. Horses can be dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced person, and you can get seriously hurt. I did, over and over, and I was doing it for a living.
I suggest Natural horsemanship training, especially John Lyons, whom I have seen in person. he had books, magazine, dvds, clinics, etc.
But please, get help; and don't get hurt.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:21:43 PM  Show Profile
It's so wonderful that you took Henry into your family. Makes me so angry when people just dump animals and leave them.

I agree with Winona whole heartedly! I've been to Clinton Anderson's workshops and Monty Roberts and a whole slew of other people's workshops. I have worked and trained my own horses but I wouldn't in a million years call myself a professional trainer, though there are many with similar experiences that would. Clinton Anderson has a very straight forward, direct approach and what he does is easy to understand. Anderson is also really good with ideas to get horses used to spooky things which is particularly good for trail horses. Read as much as you can, but you won't really grasp the full concept until you actually start working with Henry. Sounds like the couple he's boarded with will be a huge help to you. You've got a wonderful resource on your hands. It just takes time and patience, trial and error. But it sounds like you and your guy have big hearts. I'm sure you will be successful with Henry.

Edited to say - Hosana is absolutely right. It's one thing to have love and patience, but don't put yourself in a position where you can be really hurt. Contact a professional or someone with experience that you can trust. A horse that is afraid will very nearly kill you trying to save themselves.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Jul 09 2009 12:24:49 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Suggestions for horse training? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page