Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My 2009 Farm Fair Experience *long with pics!*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My 2009 Farm Fair Experience *long with pics!* Next Topic
Page: of 2

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  11:43:50 AM  Show Profile
It is probably absurd to speak the obvious, which is that I've been underground for the better part of 18 months. This underground world I've been witness to is the world of cancer and I can tell you that it is a dark place but the light that shines through is blinding, uplifting, inspiring and beyond one's imagination. It casts shadows the likes of which are unique to this world and it offers perspective found nowhere else. This is the foundation upon which I now stand and see the world as it is.

It was about a year after Aria got sick that I began sewing again. I had been nervously stitching this's and that's every time she was in the hospital desperate to find some solace and peace with the project I wanted to throw myself into. It was a feeble attempt to escape the reality surrounding me but I persevered nevertheless. I suppose I did find a peculiar sense of calm but the strangeness of stitching under those circumstances and in that environment is hard to describe. Can the sound of thread being pulled through linen be louder in a hospital room? I'd swear it is true.

In mid winter I began sewing in earnest. My sewing machine and I had daily interactions and the healing power of distraction, creation and inspiration is beyond my words. As Farm Fair drew nearer and nearer I could hardly believe that I might actually be able to go. You see, I never lost hope but coupled with hope is a kind of acceptance that it might not work out. Aria might be too sick and my presence, thus, needed elsewhere. Even though this isn't the way Life will be for us forever, it is what it is for us now and I have to learn the grace of being hopeful and accepting simultaneously. I'm not very good at it I'm afraid but I am trying! I wanted to be able to go Farm Fair so badly I could almost taste it but looming was the reality that I might not be able to and that had to be ok as well.

For months I'd been holding my breath. I'd been sewing what inspires me and heals me to show whomever came to my booth. All of it in honor of Aria. For months and months farmgirls from all over have been sending gifts, cards, prayers, thoughts, well wishes. The generosity of complete strangers never ceases to amaze me. So many beautiful caring people taking me and Aria into their heart and lives. It is a staggering thing to experience. To imagine that I was going to meet some of these people..to put faces to names...it was quite frankly almost too much. I could hardly contain myself.

So you see Farm Fair was very personal. I felt like this dormant little wrinkled ugly seed planted deep within the soil of the farmgirl spirit and Farm Fair was my sunshine, my water, my fertilizer. Suddenly, I grew and I flowered waving in the gentle breeze that was MaryJane every time she wandered by.

2 of my closest friends helped me set up my booth, something I would not have been able to do alone. They stayed with me in the sweltering heat of day. They interacted with people from all over while I wandered to other booths and met farmgirls from all over. It was completely overwhelming and wonderful beyond what I could have possibly imagined. The collective spirit of so many people from all walks of life, coming together to celebrate, to enjoy, to be. I loved every minute.

My entire family came including Aria wearing a MaryJanes Farm red baseball cap hand-stitched with the words "Jane Deere" across the top given to me to commemorate when I received my Jane Deere tractor for my 40th birthday. She was also wearing her favorite T-shirt with the words "Peaceful Warrior" across the chest. This is Aria, truly. We had water balloon tosses, and ate a lovely lunch. I spent a small fortune at the pony stalls so Aria could ride horses. This is hands down her favorite thing to do. I can not tell you the depth of my joy seeing her being able to enjoy a Fair. A real live fair. Last year at this time we had to keep her inside much of the time for fear of naturally occurring bacteria that reside in our world that she was not able to resist and fight being so immuno-compromised. This is one of the weird and dark realities of cancer treatment. But this year, Aria rode horses, ate fair food, threw balloons, danced to music and was a sweaty exhausted little girl by the time she left a few hours later. Reo, my son and my daughter Rianna were also so completely elated to be there following everything Aria did.

I want to extend a personal Thank you to Heide who took my children under her beautiful wings and showed them a time they will not soon forget!

I want to extend a 'from-the-bottom-of-my-heart' thank you to everyone who stopped by the booth and said hello, introduced themselves and spent some time with me. The summer heat was true to form and was intense and I sensed a restlessness in the air. There was a need to seek water and shade and no one seemed to stay in one place for too long. That, and there was so much to see. The creative genuis of the vendors was something to behold. I wasn't able to spend time with everyone regrettably and I hope everyone returns next year so I can grab those I missed or didn't get to visit for very long.

Alee's booth was incredible and her mom's jewelry is just breath-taking. The color is almost surreal in her fused glass work. Alee's sewing gems are just like her; whimsical, fun and colorful!

Sherri's work (Mikesgirl) well...someday I hope to be more like her! Her display show-casing her clothes is so sweet and pretty and appealing. Hold onto you creative hard hats but she makes all her own hangers! I was blown away.

My friend Renee who makes waldorf type dolls always has the softest cuddliest displays too. I love her work.

There was another vendor I got to meet who sews cowgirl type clothes. Her business is cowgirl cottage, I believe, and her work was extraordinary. We may be able to see more of it in MaryJane's store.

There were countless other vendors whose names I can't seem to conjure. There was a stained glass artist, someone doing exquisite woodwork. There was a group of women selling their quilts and incredible aprons made from dishtowels. There was a pen-maker as well as the woman who does all of her work with flour and feed sacks. She also makes these incredible journal/books filled with all sort of interesting tags and book marks and bits and bobs. I've seen her work 3 times now over the years and she is just incredible. I was never able to introduce myself because her booth was always packed!

Oh My I could go on and on. I wished I could have spent hours and hours talking to different people but it just wasn't quite the venue for that. I was not able to take the tour of the Mill so the pictures I've seen have been amazing and wonderful. But I tell you, having that Mill as the backdrop to this event was magical. Really and truly, the spirit of that place, the history, the mingling of old and new was palpable.

I was able to meet Amy Warwick and buy a few of her books. Let me say very simply that she embodies what it means to be generous. She is one of the most genuine people I think I have ever met and I feel changed having met her somehow. I don't know...there are just some people that resonate so deeply that when you are in their presence you are somehow, better, happier, perhaps even closer to your true self.

I was able to check out the fabric, buy some and buy some Miss Wilma pillows and bags too. It was lovely. The colors and patterns of the fabric are vibrant and yet somehow muted. The are soft and welcoming. I can't wait to create.

Everyone working the fair was tremendous and the seamlessness of how everything came together and stayed together is a testimony to the countless hours of work it took behind the scenes. Rene, you were just incredible. Heide, as I mentioned, you are a personal favorite and I can't tell you how much I appreciated you being so available. Katie, I don't know what to say other than you remind me of a brilliant flower. I hope you and Rebekka Mae can get together and teach a tatting class. I would love to spend more time in your presence.

Carol Hill is such a magnificent soul. the genuine-ness of this person, ladies is what we all ought to aspire toward. Carol, your laugh rings in my head and I'm thrilled you scored the Play fairy blessing bag for Eric. Be sure to say Hi to Sparkle for me!

MaryJane, what is there to say? How does one describe awe? How does one articulate the wonder of the sky during sunrise and sunset? How does one express the majesty of the tree just outside the Mill casting enormous shade to cool the mind body spirit of the masses? You, MaryJane, are a gift. Thank you for you.

I know this is a very long-winded way of saying that it was a great time. It was beautiful and breath-taking. I just hope it brings those of you who couldn't attend just a little closer to the experience. Even though many of you couldn't attend this go-'round, the collective energy of this farmgirl spirit really does transcend time and physical space. Until we meet again! ~julia

Me

Picture of the Fairy Blessing Bags. My best sellers.

Aria on her first pony ride of the day. I think she went 8 times!

Reo on his pony ride

Is Rianna a parade princess or what?!

Aria doing what she loves!

Water balloon fun

A great shot of Aria. Heide is in the sombrero holding that beautiful little girl!

I love Heide's expression!

Classic Aria. Even in a cast, she can dance!

Reo and Aria hurling water balloons. What you don't see is that they are trying to get ME!

Just the joy of being able to be there!

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  11:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Well, that last picture says it all, doesn't it, Julia?

I'm smiling from ear to ear, and felt like I was right there with you all...thanks.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Wow, what fun, I hope they got you!!! lol I just do not know how I missed you but I did! I just love your dress, so perfect for the day. You have adorable children, soooo cute, what are their ages? It sure was a fun weekend and I just love the way you write, it just sums up everything in a nut shell. Great job! We will have to get together some other time, I hope.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Julia, it looks like ya'll had so much fun. I could only see til the water balloon fight. The rest of the pics have an x in a box next to them. I sure wish I could have been there. The kids are too cute. And all the beautiful things you have made.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

SandyJ
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Sandra
Waitsburg WA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Julia, Your remembrances of the fair are special and I hope Maryjane knows what wonderful people with such awesome stories she attracts. My memories are great but to see your baby that has been so sick out playing with the big guys wow. Hang onto that whatever comes. Thank you for letting me play along to pictures.
Sandyj
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the wonderful gift of your words and photos!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:51:26 PM  Show Profile
It was truly a pleasure to meet you Julia - you are an inspiration. I enjoyed talking to you very much.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Awesome, Julia. Love your get-up, girl! And Aria is the only girl I know who rode a horse/pony 8 times in a cast no less. Uh-oh...think you might have a little horse crazy girl there! Watch out, next thing she'll be wanting a pony.

Thanks for sharing! So glad it was all you had hoped and more.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  1:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful! Simply beautiful.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  1:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Julia, did I ever mention that you are amazing?

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  1:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julia- It was a blast seeing you again! I loved your booth! Thanks for the kind words about mom and my items! It was a wonderful weekend. I was right by the pony rides and got to see your kiddos riding. It was so great seeing them enjoying the day so much!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  1:33:45 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Julia, can't tell for sure which woman is you?
I love the pics...thanks so much for sharing with us!!
luv ya, Linda

Linda in Scranton, PA

GOD BLESS AMERICA. Our FREEDOM is not free.

The soldier in my family is often saying that they could not do what they do without the support of their families and the sacrifices the families make.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, If you have a PC you can right click on the photo that doesn't come up--a box will pop up and then you go to the line that says "show picture" and left click it the picture should show up. JoAnn

Edited by - Mountain Girl on Jul 07 2009 2:35:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  2:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia.....love, love, love the gown!

What a time you must have had. I am sooooo envious. Maybe next year?? I was there in spirit and smiled all weekend long thinking of the fun that you and the girls were having.

And the pictures...oh the pictures!! Thank you dear for sharing!

Talk to you soon!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  3:06:59 PM  Show Profile
Julia, Thanks for the pictures and the review, It's easy to see a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharing.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  3:16:02 PM  Show Profile
Julia, you make my heart smile!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  8:12:41 PM  Show Profile
FABULOUS!!!! Just wonderful, whenever you share what's in your heart and your beautiful family, I feel refreshed and overjoyed!! I hope you sold a lot in honor of Aria, and you look beautiful and happy! Wish I could've been there.

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  02:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Julia, you write beautifully and how very special it must have been for little Aria and your whole family to have such a wonderful time. While unable to attend I am so grateful to you ladies who are writing and posting pictures so that those of us less fortunate are able to get a feel of what fair is all about. Astounding fellowship! Thank you so much for sharing the day with all of us.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  04:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julia for the inspiration and for the pictures, so glad all your family had much needed fun.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Julia, what can I say, 'cept just being in your presence makes me feel happy....you are my "happy fairy"
hugz & luv ya.
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Julia, it was such a treasure to meet you. I felt like I'd known you forever. Hugs again!
Blessings and sweet wishes for you and your family to continue to prosper and grow.
Til we meet again, I'll hold you dear in my heart =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  9:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see you had such a great time! I love Aria's little hot pink cast. Wish I had been able to have something like that when my ankle was casted several years ago, but then it wouldn't have gone very well with my camouflage BDUs.

I wish I could have made it, but I've been out of work and just couldn't go. I will say that I am somewhat envious but maybe next year because I do start a new job next week.

I will live vicariously through all of you who got to go. And, Julia, you look wonderful in spite of everything else. I don't know if I could have held up as well, and I've thought at times the my life was something else.

Best wishes to you and yours. Your kids are adorable.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:17:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia..you have such a wonderful way with words..and pictures too!! It was like being there. I am SO glad you were all able to go..what a delight!
Your children (and YOU) are beautiful!! Thanks for posting!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Julia,
Thank you for the pictgures. I was so busy that I didnt get to take as much in as I thought I would.Seems I never left the info booth on sat. Love you.. Thanks for just being you! Miss Liberty!!!! :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  07:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Julia, thank you for your beautiful post. The kids put a huge smile on my face. Seeing Aria with that water balloon made me giggle. You look very festive :) Thanks for sharing the pictures!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

It was such a treat FINALLY meeting you. Heide sent me this link and I am OH SO GLAD because I finally got to see the beautiful Aria as well. You are a gem and you brightened my day when you walked into Ditzy's. You are a wonderful writer and I am honored to say that I know you!

Best to you and yours and good luck with your writing in the future. As I said before, you really have something here and someday I will be the one that gets to say, "I knew her when..."

Amy

please visit amywarwick.com for more information on Amy's writings and upcoming events.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic My 2009 Farm Fair Experience *long with pics!* Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page