Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Felt Stockings and Tree Skirts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Felt Stockings and Tree Skirts Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  08:21:22 AM  Show Profile
My mother made felt Christmas stockings and a tree skirt in the 1950's. I still have my stocking but the skirt was lost. Do any of you remember these? I am going to make a skirt from wool felt. I am going to hand draw the figure patterns on cardboard like my mom did and embellish with sequins and glitter ala 1950's. I am thinking of a red backgound with white poinsettas and green leaves. I am also going to make stockings for gifts.

Time Flies

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, what a memory you brought back for me. My mother still has our Christmas stockings, which she made. Some are red felt and some are green felt, with white and contrasting felt cut outs of Santas, stars, trees, etc on them. Doesn't seem like Christmas unless we have those out... and these are 50 years old by now!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  11:00:01 AM  Show Profile
I remember those from a friends house. We had a lace tablecloth that mom put around the tree and we hung up the biggest stockings we could find in our drawers. One year my oldest brother put up an old silk stocking he found in moms drawer. None of us had ever dared do that before!
The thing that takes me back is remembering the smell of the tree after we had frosted the branches with an ivory snow merangue that my mom would whip up in the mixmaster. Dad would wire the lights on the tree and we all would begin a section of the tree putting or rather smearing this white fluff along the branches trying not to get any on the lights. Inevitably some would get on them anyway and we could smell warm ivory soap all through christmas. Funny, it wasn't an unpleasant smell. All the glass decorations that have survived still have remnants of this substance on them.
Jenny your felt tree skirt sounds beautiful! I have all of my mother in laws old workbasket magazines back as far as 1939. There are several december issues with these types of things in them.
As for me, My daughter sent me 6 lovely counted cross stitch old world santas that she did last year from some craft books I had given her from my library. She didn't frame them so that I could make a tree skirt with them inset. I will be working on that after my second knee surgery on the 6th of december. Saving my hand work for then.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Felt Stockings and Tree Skirts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page