Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Growing Mint in Containers? Help Please!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing Mint in Containers? Help Please! Next Topic  

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  1:29:07 PM  Show Profile
I SURRENDER!

That's what I told the catapillars that decimated my nice big patch of spearmint. Soap water, Cayenne Pepper water, didn't work.

So now I'm thinking about trying growing it in a pot. Any hints on doing that? Oddly enough there isn't a sunny spot in the house till the afternoon and not in the kitchen either. I'm not a consistant waterer. I'm very hit and miss about it. I need help please.

I'm missing my moroccan tea.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  1:53:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am very hit and miss about mine too- My plant did not do very well this winter until my roommate's dog ate all the leaves! now it is growing back in full force AND taking over the rest of the pot.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  3:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Susan -- mint is very hardy. It grows by underground runners and is very invasive. It will do fine in containers given the proper light and moisture. If you want to grow mint in the ground put it in a large plastic pot (the kind that trees/large shrubs come in from the garden center), cut the bottom out, and place in the ground. Fill with dirt and plant your mint. The mint will do great but it will help to contain it from taking over. It needs quite a bit of light and be careful not to overwater. Just use the finger test in the soil to see how dry it is.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  3:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I love growing mint and usually have several kinds growing in pots on my patio area and front porch...but I have no luck at all overwintering it in the pots here..ad it dosn't usually come back after a winter either..I replant each year...it does grow well in pots though..I have planted it in just about every possible pot or container..I like the tiny leaved varieties and the spearmint, I love pennyroyal too..there are so many choices!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  4:56:51 PM  Show Profile
Susie, you fought a good fight. Those critters must be hardy to not respond to the pepper treatment!

As for the watering schedule....we could set up an alert system....kinda like the fly lady does with organizational stuff....We can have a post that says, "Today is water your plants day...this means you, SusieQ!"

Hey Lori!! Back in town yet? I love the groundcover idea. In fact, I just transplanted a whole bunch of runners from a mint plant that was taking over another area and put the runners in a spot that desperately needs something green. It gets spackeled light during the day, so I'm hoping it'll get enough.

You're right, Jenny....so many choices. Have y'all ever tried Chocolate Mint? It smells just like a Peppermint Patty or those little mints you get at restaurants. I don't like it so much in my tea but it does great in Christmas cookies!!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  8:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody. I'll give it a try it outside in a container where it will get some sun. I think I'll put it next to the kitchen door so I'll see it as I go out or come in.

Does anybody know of anything I can put on top of the soil or on the pot so the bugs can't crawl to the stalks and leaves?

THat's one thing about plants even if you kill them or they get eaten you can always plant again.

THe only thing I can manage to keep alive are my lemon trees, my tangerine tree and my mothers wild violets that she brought from Missouri about 40 years ago.

My grandfather would dig up a patch of them when he was out fishing and plant them in the garden for my grandmother. My mom when she moved out here she brought a clump of them with her and they have been planted every where we've lived. They have always thrived. I put a bouquet of these dried violets in her urn when we burried her back in Missouri.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  9:18:13 PM  Show Profile
alot of times I put crushed (finely) egg shells. I always dry all my egg shells to spread in the garden...I think that helps with slugs and snails...which we don't have a huge problem with here...they were a nightmare when I lived on the pacific coast though!
I love wild violets..what a neat thing for your grandpa to do!!! And how special for her to have a bouquet of them for eternity...I love that! I have found some hiding under my old old lilacs on the west side of our property. they did better year before last than this past spring. I look forward to seeing them this spring again!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  07:20:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm loving today. It's raining and the violets will get a good slow soaking.

This is the time of year that violets bloom out here. I keep the watering up especially so that I'll have violets to put by her picture through to her birthday in mid March. They seem to do best when it's really wet. My area of California is coastal desert (the lavendar love it). Water is expensive, so in the summertime the violets are the one thing I MAKE SURE to keep watered. The biggest patches are under the citrus trees so both get water at the same time.

I'll try the egg shells. I was amazed at how they went after the mint. It was their own personal salad bar.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  09:54:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You might be surprised- The mint will probably come back this year. Their roots are hard to kill if they are well entrenched.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Q
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Susan
So. California
USA
122 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:55:27 AM  Show Profile
We got some rain yesterday. I'll see what pops up!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Growing Mint in Containers? Help Please! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page