Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  8:52:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hate tension on my machine. I always seem to get loops on the bottom side of the seam. I just re-oiled my machine and it seems to be doing better now, but ARGH! I wish the machines would self adjust or something!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  9:46:30 PM  Show Profile
I hear ya! I've been fighting with my machine for several months now. It seems like my problems got more noticeable when I started to learn to do more complicated techniques and I was changing settings more often to do what the manual said to do based on the type of fabric and whatnot. So now I'm thinking the whole thing should go in for a tune up or something.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  05:24:27 AM  Show Profile
The rule of thumb is...if the problem is on the bottom of the fabric the upper tension is off....if the problem is on the top of the fabric the lower tension is off. Make sure you are using a new needle and the right one for the fabric that you are using. A 70 for lightweight fabrics, 80 for medium weight and 90 for heavy weights. Hope this helps
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

When I saw this post, I thought "Oh no, did something happen where Alee is stressed?" Then I remembered the post was in the stitching and Crafting Room :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:31:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The machine says to increase tension if there are bottom loops- unfortunatly it is on the highest possible tension. The needle is only a week old and should be fine for the fabrics. Oh well- the machine probably needs servicing. It hasn't been the best maintained...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:52:18 AM  Show Profile
Alee you are not alone. My Small Singer was doing the same thing and no matter what I tried it was still doing the loops on the bottom. I was so mad I left the silly thing alone for months because I was tempted to chuck it out the window. Then two nights ago I wanted to sew a silk shawl for my sons wedding at thought I would give it another try before moving on to my fancy machine. I worked with a zig zag stich and perfection. I have no idea why or what happened but I was sewing perfect stitchs. Maybe my promise of throwing it out worked. Anyway, when all else fails - Yell - that is my way of handling bad machines - Childish yes, but effective.

Good Luck

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:11:58 AM  Show Profile
I had a machine that couldn't keep a proper tension just about all the time. No matter what I did to make it happy, it was always a problem. I finally got rid of it. Now, sewing is happy again!

I started saving money, a little at a time, and received money as birthday and Christmas gifts until I finally had the funds together to buy a new machine. Best decision I ever made for my sanity.

Joyce

Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Lol..that is what I was thinking too. It didn't occur to me that it was in the Stitching section until after I read to post..LOL

I get those bottom loops a lot on my machine too. I find that when it is dusty inside the bobbin shuttle area, that it gets worse. There are machines out there that self adjust tension, but they are killer expensive and if something does go off with them, its just as expensive to have them serviced..
YIKES!!

Take heart!! :)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Alee
That is one of the reasons I saved my money and brought my first computer machine a basic elna.
I love it and still have it
I also saved for years and get a embrodiery/ sewing computer machine
I love it too.
They are getting cheaper and cheaper.
Sometimes, they have them in the paper where people are selling them ,
I would check in to them
They are easy to use.
I thought I would never learn ; but they are easier to use and a lot less frustration. hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  3:50:45 PM  Show Profile
Tension? Yes, I've got tension, but my sewing machine is working quite nicely thank you!

I too have an Elna and have never had a tension issue with it (knock on wood). My old Singer, now that was another story and it did get retired. Finally sold it for $50.00!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  8:32:24 PM  Show Profile
This may sound goofy but do you have the needle in facing the correct direction? and the bobbin inserted so that it feeds the correct direction. It is so easy to get the bobbin in the wrong way.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  9:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Kathy's idea is good but there is one more thing to try. Take both threads in your hand and pull gently.The tension should be the same on the top and the bottom. There is a screw on the bobbin case to make the ajustments with. It may not take much. Hope this helps.
Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile
I had a good natured chuckle with your comment, "the needle is only a week old".
With as much as some of us sew, a week old needle is too old!
I don't know how many projects you have worked on recently, but you'd be surprised how quickly a needle dulls sewing through cotton.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  11:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lizabeth- you know, I had been doing a lot of sewing, but it turned out to be my bobbin tension!! Mom fixed it in about 2 seconds! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  04:57:48 AM  Show Profile
I love reading what all of you have to say!! You make me smile! Alee, for your tension problem here are a couple of things to do. First, if your tension is at it's highest setting that is a problem to begin with. Take everything off, all tread, bobbin, needle etc. Back the tension down to were it would normally be ( my singer it is at 3.5)

Clean all the dust and lint out of your machine. Be sure to loosen the tension disk enough to clean in there too. Be sure to clean in the bobbin case as well. Oil and lube again if needed.

Now put in a new needle ( not the one you just took out even if it is new!!), a new spool of thread( sometimes it is a bad spool, it does happen ) and wind a new bobbin to place into the bobbin case.

Now make sure you have reset your tension to where it would normally be and do a few test runs sewing through a couple layers of scrap fabric. Sew a long row. Check your stitching to see how the tension looks. If needed, adjust it just a little at a time until you get it just right. Be sure to sew a long seam between each setting, this gives the machine a chance to reset itself so to speak.

Hope this helps!! Happy sewing!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy