Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Penned chickens and possums - should I worry?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Penned chickens and possums - should I worry? Next Topic  

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:02:40 AM  Show Profile
We have four chickens who roam outdoors either in a stationary, totally enclosed wire pen that's attached to their coop or in another totally enclosed pen that we move around the yard. We just yesterday discovered a mama possum and her five(!) wee ones wandering into some bushes by our house. I've heard possums may kill chickens but am wondering if I should be concerned since the chickens are penned in well. Will possums dig to get at chickens? I hate to try to trap them in case one or more of the wee ones doesn't make it into the trap. (I'm a very sensitive vegetarian farmgirl who wants to do the best by everyone concerned). Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Savor Happy Accidents...

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:19:49 AM  Show Profile
Yes they will dig. It is recommended that you bury the wire at least 6 inches around the pen. Especially since she has babiesshe will likely be looking for food. Another option is to get a good guard dog.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:31:37 AM  Show Profile
And they climb, too, Faith. You could do the live trap and relocate them. You might have to do it several times if the babies are past a certain age.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  11:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info. It looks like I'm headed to the store for a live trap then. I think we should be able to get them all together, since the little ones are still piggybacking (although it looks like only four fit at a time)! Wish me luck!

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  11:44:26 AM  Show Profile
Absolutely! We've had really bad experience in the past with penned chickens and all kinds of diggin predators. They will stop at nothing to get at your chickens!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Pinkyatmoosehollowfarm
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Josephine
Albany New Hampshire
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile
Well a bear just tore apart our feed bin this weekend in daylight! and later that night a fox or something got into the hen house and killed several chickens, leaving some and carrying off some. There was a trail of feathers across the field. We've lost 15 chickens in the last week!

We need a new dog! (my dog was put down last year at age 15-1/2). We just put up new hardware cloth around the coop, and are keeping them in for awhile. We need to find a way to turn off the "free Buffet" sign.

Pink is not just a color...it's an attitude!
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  3:52:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry about your bad luck; that sounds like my idea of a nightmare! Our chickens are more pets than anything and my son will be devastated if anything happens to them. I didn't really think I was going to have to worry too much about predators, with the shelter and the fact that we live in the VILLAGE; this is ridiculous! And I agree; you should get a new dog right away - every home needs all that sloppy love!

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  03:22:42 AM  Show Profile
Without a doublt. Possums kill and eat chickens

Trap and relocate if you can.....like 10 miles away!
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  05:01:20 AM  Show Profile
Well, last night I put out the trap w/ fish-flavored cat foot in it (stinky enough to get noticed) but no critters yet. Will cross my fingers again tonight...This is a bit depressing!

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  05:44:14 AM  Show Profile
Faith. I grew up in Quechee VT. What part are you from?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  09:29:15 AM  Show Profile
Faith, be careful, possums are known to carry rabies.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Mad Typist
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Faith
Vermont
55 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile
Willowtreecreek - We're in Swanton, up by the Canadian border, in the west corner of the state. I think it's about two hours to Quechee from here...
And not to worry about the rabies, I've got my hubbies promise to release them if I can ever catch the darn things! (Just kidding - actually, the Rabies Hotline said we were allowed to do a live release on possums because the risk is low around here). Thanks for the wisdom everyone!

Savor Happy Accidents...
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Penned chickens and possums - should I worry? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page