Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Greetings from a newbie in Maryland!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Greetings from a newbie in Maryland! Next Topic  

yarmiah
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jen
Hampstead Md
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Hello folks!

My name is Jen and I found this site while searching for information about farming. You see, I was born and raised in the city but moved to the "burbs" when I got married. I've always thought how nice it would be to have a little land and be "away" from the hustle and bustle of today's world and all of its electronic gadgets. Now that I'm 40, I've done some reflecting and decided I would like to make that dream a reality.

My hope is to purchase some property in a few years. I would like to have a farmette mabye 3 acres or so. Would be nice to have a small garden, a few chickens, maybe a goat or 2, and if I could afford it, a horse. I would also prefer an older farmhouse as opposed to a newer dwelling. Here's the thing . . I don't know the first thing about how to run a farm/farmette. I am up to the challenge of the physical work- I am pretty active (including going to the gym 5 days a week) and understand there is a huge time commitment invovled. I have visited a few farms, but have no real experience of the day to day. I don't even know if 3 acres is enough for what I'm looking for. I have ridden horses now and then, but have never cared for one, nor goats or chickens for that matter. I need a basic farming 101 course to truly understand what living on a farm is like and if it really will be something I'm truly want and am capable of.

Does anyone know of any books/websites that can help me out?

FYI about me: married 20+ years, 2 girls ages 9 and 13. My husband is not as excited about the concept, but the girls seem genuinely interested. Realistically, I won't be financially ready for 2+ years which is why I want to start the research now.

Thanks for any input!
-Jen

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  5:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jen:
Happy you found the MaryJane Farmgirl/Citygirl site. These girls will and can give you the best of information! You will love it here. Nice to have you on the site. I love out in the country, and my husband and I have a garden. No barn or barnyard animals. Wish I did! We do have 7 cats, and one dog. Give me the country live any day! I grew up in the city. We have a vegetable garden this summer. Producing greatly! Good luck with your dreams.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  6:17:57 PM  Show Profile
I don't live on a farm either (wish I did) but maybe you can find part-time work on a nearby farm or community garden. summer is the busiest time on a farm and what's needed most is a willingness to work hard. Most of my "farm" experience is limited to working at a petting zoo and some stables--it's hard work but the rewards are worth it. Good luck!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  6:38:35 PM  Show Profile
Welcome! I'm a newbie too and these gals have already made me feel so welcome! Each state has a "land grant university" and one of the jobs of that university is to have county extension agents. I would contact your county extention agent to find out about courses that they may offer. There are often courses about gardening, small animal husbandry, small sustainable farming, farm to table, etc. It's worth a try. Another job of a county extension office is to oversee the 4-H program. Getting involved with 4-H provides you with in instant network of other families that are learning about "farm" things (as well as other stuff) together.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  9:20:43 PM  Show Profile
Welcome~~ you will love it here!!
You know what? I don't live on a real farm either. I have a little farmette in town (very small town) and I love that. I would say to for sure start with chickens...so easy to care for!
I recomend Carla Emery's Encyclopedia of Country Living, Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot Gardening, and if you decide to get a milk cow (and I totally think you should...I love mine) Keeping a Family Cow by Joanne Grohman. All really really helpful. I love the books Raising milk goats the modern way, and raising Sheep the modern way also. Can't remember the author of those. I agree that you can find alot of info (and cheaply too) in the 4H leaflets and info...lessons I learn along with my own kids all the time. I am not new at the farmette thing by any means but there are always new things to learn. It will be fun to get to know you here!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  06:12:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jen! You have come to the right place. As all the other girls have said you will love it here. You can ask away and one of these gals can surely have you an answer. Blessings, Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Jen! The girls are so right...you will love it here!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  4:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Jen! As the ladies above have given you many wonderful hints I'll just 2nd everything they've said and agree a small flock of chickens would be easiest to start with. Hens are wonderful and you'll get fresh eggs once they're grown. Plus your kids will love them as chickens make incredible pets too. I grew up in the country but now live in a small cottage in the burbs. I so miss being able to have livestock and a bigger garden. I'm doing square foot gardening this year on our small lot. The women on this site are awesome and so full of knowledge. You'll learn amazing things here. Once again, welcome!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jen! The info given I would ditto. I don't have a farm, but you will find lots of rich and good advice here. I have fun just reading about their farms.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jen,

I hope you enjoy it here as much as the rest of us do. You may have your farm yet, but you have it in your heart. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

yarmiah
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Jen
Hampstead Md
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I will certainly look into the 4H thing, it's a pretty big event in the county I live.

When my husband was a young man, he worked on his uncle's dairy farm. He is already being very negative about my idea- saying that I don't know how much work is involved etc etc. But I am a hard worker and love to work outdoors. He on the other hand is a couch/computer potato. Without the help of my husband, I know my possibilities are limited, but starting with a house and some land, I would like to start small with the garden and chickens and see what I (myself!) am capable of. I for one, when I retire, dont want to sit around on my butt all day- I want something to do- that will give me satisfaction!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Jen! You will love it here!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Greetings from a newbie in Maryland! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page