Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  9:03:46 PM  Show Profile
We like beef. I have been thinking about going organic on the meat here; however, the cost just shocks the socks off of me! Is it really worth the extra $$ for organic grass fed beef?

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I raise my own, and everything I raise and grow is organic. It kind of makes me laugh, cause its cheaper to raise beef organicly, than use all that chemical/drug laden feed. But I have tasted the other kind, and to me it tastes "FAKE", so in my honest opinion, it is worth it.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4219 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4219 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  04:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Teresa. Look around and see if you can buy some home grown beef. No growth hormones. Talk to a county agent, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  06:44:11 AM  Show Profile
I try to buy locally grown organic beef. I live in a very small town (3,000) and there is a farm that sells organic beef and pork. Their prices are maybe $1-$2 more a pound than the local market but it is much, much tastier and much better for you. And it supports the local economy.

Patsy

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)

Edited by - Patsy on Jun 27 2009 06:44:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  07:28:39 AM  Show Profile
I buy organic too. In fact when I buy meat (not very often) I like the local organic buffalo meat. Kinda like Patsy says. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
We don't raise organic beef, but natural. I'm not sure if the cost would be any cheaper since I don't shop for meat. Some help huh?! But.. if you live near a Whole Foods they sell natural and organic products. Check out my blog and read an article from the local paper about our boss. Most of the beef we raise is sold through Whole Foods there in Colorado, or to the brand Coleman Meats.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  11:01:50 AM  Show Profile

We buy half a cow each year (this is our fourth year doing it). NOTHING compares with locally grown organic beef. You can smell how good it is before it's even cooked. After processing fees we end up spending about $2.50 a pound. So total cost ends up being about $800-1000.00 dollars for half a cow, whatever cuts, ground or sausage we want. There are only two of us and it usually last us a year and that's after sharing plenty with others ( and living with a beef guy who could eat beef 3x a day every day :))

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Oney, we raise our own beef also, don't know if it's classified as "organic" or not, but it's grass fed/range fed beef without hormones or any of that stuff. We only give a couple preventative shots so they don't get disease or worms, that's it!
I would rather turn vegetarian than have to eat store bought meat again. The flavor just can't compare in my opinion. Our meat is RED when you thaw it out, grocery store meat is not the same color after you thaw it that it was when you bought it. That alone tells me somethings wrong with it.

Oney, I agree with Michele about checking with you extension office to find someone local who sells beef, you won't be sorry. You could also go to the 4H auction at your county fair and buy one that way. The money helps the kids with their project for next year. That's a win-win way to go!

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  12:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Be careful of just the organic lable, You want to look for organic Grass-fed as that is the stuff that is higher in good proteins and lower in bad fats. There is a great website called www.eatwild.com that is worth the time to check out. They also list some of the producers in your area. But please check out MaryjanesFarm's organic grass-fed beef here is the link http://www.rockymtncuts.com/maryjanes/ and right now there are some really great specials so there is no better time to try this.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jun 28 2009 12:30:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  5:20:55 PM  Show Profile
We buy 1/2 beef each year, local but not neccessarily organic...natural though, and grass fed. I wish we could afford the organic beef I have found in our area..but it is so much more! But...I am happy with knowing exactly which farm the beef (and we buy pork there too) was raised on, what it ate and all the details as well as knowing the butcher personally. Huge better feeling than just picking up packages in the market! I would say if you can afford the organic grass fed to go for it...way better for sure...if not...try local for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  04:33:44 AM  Show Profile
I'll echo everyone else

Start by asking around to see where you can buy locally.

This may mean going in 2 or 3 ways with relatives if they are nearby or splitting it with friends. It will also help if your friendly farmer uses a local butcher

If you want the wole cow, that's A LOT of meat. So of course, you'll need one of the large chest freezers if you don't have one already.

Starting locally will really help. You can delve into organic as you find the resources.

Might also want to loook into a local food co-op too.

We go in 4 ways on a whole cow each year. It will last generally 'till February. And that's when the next order comes in.

And I whole heartidly agree, you really can't beat the taste and quality as compared to store bought. Tat alone is well worth the cost. The orgainc aspect is an added bonus.

And our farmer does the same thing. No hormones, just vitamines and a few boosters to the calves to give them a good healthy start.
Newborns of any domestic species sometimes get scours. So the vitamins help prevent this.

Good luck and happy eating!
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:07:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by windypines

Talk to a county agent, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Michele

No pun intended, right? LOL

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:13:10 AM  Show Profile
Sisters, thanks so much for the information. My dad is foreman for a farm/ranch so I'll start there. He's been there for 3 years now and it's beyond me why I never thought of this before.

~Oney~
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile
We raise our own grass fed beef. Buy that if possible. Steers that are fed in feed lots get fed bubble gum and other left over products from factories. (potato chips, etc.) You need to check with your local farmers also, because some of them feed stale bread from bakeries or rotten fruit. Consumers really need to ask questions before they buy.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile
Does your dad get beef as part of his pay Oney?? Because if he does, maybe you can see about buying from the ranch. Most ranches provide beef and may even feed the cow out right there. You could pay for some of the feed or the butchering cost. We've worked on places before where we feed the 1 or 2 steers ourselves so you know what the steer is getting. One place we had to butcher ourselves.. Here we just drive to the locker, much nicer! lol
Anyway, check there or the local extention office like the other gals mentioned. Also, fair time is coming up, maybe you could buy from a 4-H'er or FFA'er.. Don't know how expensive that gets in your area, but you'd be helping out that way too.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  11:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I haven't heard that cows/steers are fed bubblegum, but I do know a number of them are fed ground chicken parts - the feet, beaks, etc. that are not edible for people. Calves are sometimes weaned on cow's blood, and a good lot of the feed is genetically modified corn. They have stopped the practice of feeding cows leftover cow parts, as that led to mad cow and Crutchfield-Jakob disease. Whatever makes them think feeding cows chicken parts will make a difference in that, I've no idea.

Also - there was a whistleblower scientist who worked for Monsanto who was fired when he questioned that the practice of "splicing" plant DNA with another species might also create unstable prions - the underlying cause of CJD.

Hence why I never eat meat anymore - but if I were to do so, it would HAVE to be organic, grass fed beef or a free-range chicken that ate bugs all its life!

Edited by - greyghost on Jun 30 2009 11:29:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:15:35 PM  Show Profile
We didn't eat meat when we lived in the city because I couldn't find a good source for it. Now we buy our eggs, milk, chickens, and meat from a family farm here in our town, it's even slaughtered at a "certified humane" local slaughterhouse, I've toured the farm and know the people who run it, we're all 3rd generation locals so I trust them. Now we buy meat only from them or go in on a cow raised by one of us. It's the only way to eat meat!

The turning point for me was when we had run out of ground beef one year, and I bought some at the store, it's grey!!!! My grandma said they add blood to it sometimes so it will look as nice as our home raised meat! EEEWWWWW!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  05:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info on feed lots

that's just gross

one more reason to buy locally!

I can drive past the pastrue, and we personally know the farmer were our beef comes from

all grass fed that's for sure
Go to Top of Page

Georgia
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Angie
ballwin mo
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:33:35 AM  Show Profile
I just saw the movie Food Inc. and it has changed the way I will buy food for my family FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is amazing what goes into the food that you buy. If anyone gets a chance to see the movie do,it is worth it. and go to their web site and there is a ton of info about where and how to buy local and or organic food.

dreamer
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile
There is a web site called localharvest.org , they list all that are in your areas

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Tell me about organic beef Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page