Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  7:24:10 PM  Show Profile
I just dug out my ice cream maker and wondered if anyone had any recipes they would like to share? My Donvier freezer makes 1 quart.

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Not any kind of exotic or unique recipe, but our favorite is 3 c skim milk, 3/4 c sugar, and some vanilla. Let ice cream go till almost set, 30 mins on my machine and then mix in whatever you want to flavor it. Favorites here are pureed fruits, mushed up cookies/brownies, etc., peanutbutter, whatever is on hand :) Oh, forgot to check if you said it was electric or crank--ours is electric
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  06:38:27 AM  Show Profile
We just made vanilla gelato yesterday. Here is my recipe

6 Large Egg Yolks
3/4 Cup Of Granulated Sugar
2 1/2 Cups Whole Milk
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Tbs. Real Vanilla
1 tsp. dried lavender (optional)
Pinch of Salt
In a large bowl, beat together the egg yolks and sugar until light and thick. Add the lavender to a mesh tea ball and place in a medium saucepan. Add the milk, cream, vanilla, and salt and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to form around the edges. Remove the tea ball. Remove from the heat. Take 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture, and slowly whisk it into the beaten eggs. Next whisk the egg mixture into the saucepan. Cook over low heat stirring continuosly until the mixture thickens, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a metal bowl and refrigerate until cold. Once the custard mixture is cold, transfer it into an ice cream maker and churn following the manufacturers instructions. Serve immediately, or freeze in an airtight container until you are ready to use.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  08:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Those sound yummy. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a good one I got from a woman I knew in Wyoming.

6 eggs
1 quart 1/2 & 1/2
1 pint Heavy Cream
1 cup (more if you like it sweeter) powdered sugar
1 tsp real vanilla

The controversial part of this recipe is that the mixture is not cooked. Beat eggs then add the rest of the ingredients and mix together until smooth. Mixture can be poured into ice cream maker immediately. And I learned from this woman that using table salt instead of rock salt in the ice made the icer cream turn out with a smoother consistency. Also, this is the only ice cream recipe I have ever found that stays creamy and smooth even if leftovers have been put in the deep freezer. It is truly the best home-made ice cream I've ever had.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  10:34:07 AM  Show Profile
The recipe i use is similar to yours Sarah - and we use raw eggs too. We feel like if the eggs are intact, no cracks or imperfections, and they are home grown eggs, they are safe. We've never had any problem with it.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I am shopping today for ingredients!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  10:53:04 AM  Show Profile
This is the recipe I used last night. It turned out yummy!

3 C greek yogurt (mine was non-fat so I added cream)
1 C heavy cream
1/2 to 3/4 C raw honey
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

I mixed it all together and put it in the freezer. It was so good and rich. I might put less cream in next time. One scopp is about all you can eat.

Tonight we are making nectarine frozen yogurt!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ice Cream Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page