Author Reading Room: Previous Topic "One Thousand White Woman" Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:37:45 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone read this book? I just started it. So far, so good. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, for those who have read it, what would you number it? Thanks for any returns.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:42:43 PM  Show Profile
I just found it in a used bookshop and haven't read it yet. It looks good, I'll post what my thoughts are once I've gotten into it a bit =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  3:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Annika:
Thanks for your post. You sure are a sweetie, always trying to answer my post and questions. So far, the book is interesting.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  3:36:05 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of it until now. Is it still available or is it out of date.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  3:43:32 PM  Show Profile
OH. I have that book. Its currently shelved right now but I think I will take it down and check it out. Thanks Marly!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile
I read that one, probaly 2 years ago or so. I would rate it a 7, in my opinion. I don't remember the auther, but one of my favorite pioneer books was , " These is my words", written like a diary/journel, great, realistic book, one I wish had gone on to a lot longer.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Theresa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"These Is My Words", IS MY MOST FAVORITE BOOK. Now that was a book!!!!!!!!!!! Did you read the sequels? Good, good, good. I can't think of the authors name, but I wish she would write a book a month.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  7:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Marly, there are sequels???? I need to remember the authors name and find the sequels, I told my dad, who also is a major book lover, she needs to write on about this story. When I finished that book , The first time, and loaned it to my dad, he brought up a point, that I did'nt notice til he said something, as time went on in the story, the grammer, and spelling got better, (remember it was written like a diary), it was a work of fiction, but it was written like it was truth.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile
Teresa:
Nancy E Turner is the great author!
The sequels to "These Is My Words" are "Sarah's Quilt", and "The Star Garden". Do let me know after you read them. I just love those books. The sequels are really good books.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  8:21:47 PM  Show Profile
Teresa:
Nancy E. Turner has also written "The Water and the Blood". Another super good book. Have you read that one?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  06:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I read One Thousand White Women a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I'd even put it on the "books I'd read again" list!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!

Edited by - sleepless reader on Jul 01 2009 06:45:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  8:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Sharon: I am almost finished reading "ONe Thousand White Women". I am really enjoying this book. I find myself slowing down on my reading, because I hate to finish it. LOL
Marly

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  03:51:29 AM  Show Profile
I have One Thousand White Women on my shelf. Found it at the resale shop. Perhaps I'll move it into my to-read pile for this summer!

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  04:29:29 AM  Show Profile
They all sound wonderful. I just checked out Nancy E. Turners webpage, HHHMMM have to try and find these books, if ever :)
And also One Thousand White Women, sound interesting. Love these kind of books

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:44:42 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading, "One Thousand White Women", by Jim Fergus. Really, really good! I would recommend it. Now I have to look for a new read.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks for the heads up on the Turner books....I am going to have to get them.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic "One Thousand White Woman" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page