Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 We may have found some land
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We may have found some land Next Topic  

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  10:12:44 AM  Show Profile
DH's coworker's parents own some land in the area we want to buy in. They have 40 acres for sale with some blacktop county road frontage and a well pretty far back from the road. They were going to build but started having health issues and changed their minds. Anyway, we're just in the talking-to-them stage, but keep your fingers crossed for us.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile
That is exciting. Congrats!
GL

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2006 :  10:29:25 AM  Show Profile
How exciting~~ Best wishes and good thoughts~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  9:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I hope this turns out to be just what you want. Good luck!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  4:44:42 PM  Show Profile
Dh came home yesterday with information on yet another place in the same general area. So now we're really torn, plus we have to wait for our house to sell.

One property has 40+ acres, much of it wooded, with electric run to the back part of the property and a well dug there. No house, but a travel trailer the owners were going to stay in while building. There's a small, very small, creek that runs through the property somewhere, and the property is fenced. It has blacktop road frontage. Asking price $60,000

The other property has 50 acres, almost all pasture, fenced, with a 3 bedroom modular home on it. The property is on a gravel county road (which doesn't bother me) about 3.3 miles from blacktop. It has a much larger creek/mini river that runs either on the edge or very close (the realtor is checking) to the property. The house sits right up on the road and is in very good condition. Asking price $139,000

Each property has it's pros & cons, so . . .

I'm just praying that we get a contract soon and trying to be patient.

Go to Top of Page

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  10:43:49 AM  Show Profile
Holy smokes! What choices you've got. Fencing ain't cheap, but also, the way our economy is headed, I myself would like to own some land with wood on it to keep warm for the winters ahead.
Well, if you skip thru the land, take that one lol....that's what I did. It was just so fresh, crisp beautiful day that I skipped thru the fields and my husband said if his girl was skipping then we had to get it haha.
Lots of luck and some prayers too!

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  11:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Dh is really torn. He loves the idea of having woods (deer hunting & firewood), but the river/creek is really attractive. We don't want a modular house, but it would be nice to have it to live in for the time being. On the other hand, I hate to pay $60,000 more just to have a house we don't plan on keeping. Decisions, decisions. I'm just thankful we have options, and I'll be even more thankful when our house has sold and we have secured financing on the new place. Oh well, it's always something, right?

Thank you for your warm words & encouragement. It's so great to have a place to come and talk, where people really understand your dreams.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Wow Patti, I can't believe the price of land up there, both sound kinda high? But of course down here land is going for about $1000 a acre, cheaper the bigger you go. Keep us posted and will keep our fingers crossed here!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  2:31:15 PM  Show Profile
I lived on a gravel road (house close to the road) and the only little thing I didn't like was
the dust everytime a car went by - and no, there weren't alot of them, but any car sends dust. The road commissioner did oil the road in front of homes, but that doesn't last but a few months. I think you shoudl look around and find what you want. Somewhere out there, there's something just as you want it - or pretty darn close. Good luck - it really is an exciting time for you!!! I can feel it in your posts here!

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  4:05:26 PM  Show Profile
Junebug, normally land in the county we're looking in has been around $800 an acre, which would have been great if we'd been in a position to buy up until about 2 yrs ago. In the last couple of years, though, people from outside the area have been buying up land wherever they can -- mostly doctors and businessmen -- and then doing absolutely nothing with the land. Gorgeous farmhouses sitting empty and starting to deteriorate, land getting overgrown with no animals on it, etc. Anyway, as a result, land prices have gone up significantly in the area. It's a real shame, too, because people like us who would love to have a family farm are now competing with those bottomless pockets and then watching the land sit there idle. Very saddening and all-to-typical in other areas as well, from what I've been reading.

Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  4:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Junebug, I forgot to add this. I have a friend from West Plains who has been living here since college. I don't know how old you are, but she's 44. Sometime I'll have to email you and ask if you know her -- I hate to post her name on a message board.

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile
Well that makes sense Patti, I just hate it when the rich folks come in and buy up land and develope it later on and not taking care of it at all. Have you checked into farm loans through the Farmers Bureau? Maybe you can save one of those empty farms? Sure, email, I might just know her, you never know?

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We may have found some land Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page