Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Use those garden onions! Carmelized Onion Pudding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Use those garden onions! Carmelized Onion Pudding Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  06:07:41 AM  Show Profile
Our favorite restaurant in Louisville, Kentucky, Lilly's, focuses on farm fresh, local, seasonal ingredients, and on their website, they posted this recipe which was featured in Southern Living a few years ago...I have some vidalia's that are just about ready to harvest, so I made this pudding, along with filet mignon and roasted sweet potatoes for Justin's special Father's day dinner.

It's like corn pudding, only with onions...WONDERFUL, and oh so sweet. When I went to the kitchen this morning, Justin was eating the leftovers for breakfast, if that tells you anything! I halved the recipe for just the two of us, and there was still enough for leftovers, and it turned out beautifully. The recipe written below serves 8-10.

6 cups of onions, sliced thin
8 tblsp of butter
6 eggs
2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tlbsp. flour
2 tblsp. sugar (or to taste)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350

Slice onions, thinly
Melt butter in larger frying pan. Turn to medium heat, and saute onions until rich brown to carmelize. Remove from heat.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs.
Slowly add cream, continuously mixing
Then add dry ingredients one at a time, stirring after each addition

Pour onions into egg mixture, stir well.

Pour into buttered 9 X 13 casserole and bake 45 minutes or until center no longer quivers and edges are brown and bubbly.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  06:57:00 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the recipe Jonni - it will be part of my menu for the week - we love onions.

Have a great day!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:05:43 AM  Show Profile
I hope you and your family like it, Gail...it was soooo good, and I ate mine too quickly! I had to go back for another piece because I didn't have anything to accompany my meat!

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Jonni, this looks divine! Thanks for sharing it with us. Hugs to you three. Nance
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Nance--hugs to you and your love, as well! It was a wonderful way to utilize the early garden stars, for sure, and will be in my repetoire from now on :)

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:57:26 AM  Show Profile
That sounds wonderful Jonni! I haven't grown any onions but could probably pick up some Vidalia or Walla Walla at the store or Farmer's Market. Thanks so much for sharing. Hmmm, maybe I will make my honey a brisket with this on the side :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:01:07 AM  Show Profile
That sounds super, Sharon--brisket's are yummy!!! Let me know how you like it.

The filet's were a perfect accompanyment (and it was Pop's day, so I splurged). We did them on the grill, topped with fresh garlic and s & p, and then made a foil packet and put cubed sweet potatoes, fresh herbs, sea salt, cracked pepper and olive oil and put it on the grill, too. That way the kitchen wasn't so warm because it's VERY humid around here!!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jonni! You are making me hungry!

You wouldn't happen to have a good Brisket recipe would you? I tried Pioneer Womans but it was so salty and overpowering. Usually her recipes are awesome but I was disappointed in this one.

Oh did you frame the photo of Violet? Just curious :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  08:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Me too and there were no leftovers (for me, anyway :))...I make this brisket recipe, and I love it. I think brisket should be very basic--it's always better that way. I do add some red wine and beef stock to the water for a richer flavor (The recipe calls for 3 cups of water, I usually do 1 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup red wine, and 1 cup beef stock). This brisket came from Gourmet Magazine around 1995. My MIL gave it to me and I've used it ever since.
Ingredients:
a 5- to 6-pound first-cut beef brisket
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large yellow onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 5 cups or 3 pounds)
2 or 3 large garlic cloves, or to taste, minced
1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Hungarian
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a Dutch oven or other heavy baking pan large enough to hold brisket heat 1 tablespoon oil in oven 10 minutes. Pat brisket dry and season with salt and pepper. Roast brisket in pan, uncovered, 30 minutes.

While brisket is roasting, in a large heavy skillet cook onions in remaining 2 tablespoons oil over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened and beginning to turn golden. Reduce heat and cook onions, stirring occasionally and reducing heat if necessary, until deep golden, about 20 minutes more. Stir in garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper and cook 1 minute. Stir in 3 cups water and bring to a boil.

Spoon onion mixture over brisket and bake, covered, with lid 1/2 inch ajar, 3 1/2 hours, or until brisket is tender. (Check pan every hour and if necessary add more water.) Remove brisket from oven and let cool in onion mixture 1 hour.

Remove brisket from pan, scraping onion mixture back into pan, and chill, wrapped in foil, overnight. Spoon onion mixture into a 1-quart measure and chill, covered, overnight.

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Discard fat from onion mixture, add enough water to mixture to measure 3 cups total, and in a blender blend gravy until smooth. Slice brisket against the grain (thick or thin, as you prefer). In a large ovenproof skillet heat gravy until hot, add brisket, and heat in oven 30 minutes.

Oh....yep, I did frame the pic of Violet on her daddy's leg. He loved it...I set the breakfast table with all his cards, the picture and his "personal" homemade apple pie that I put in a heart-shaped mini pieplate. He was very happy!

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jun 22 2009 09:00:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  09:07:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jonni, this looks good too!

I'm so glad the photo idea worked out so well. When I first saw the photo, I immediately thought of Father's Day :) I make Michael personalized heart shaped cookies, cakes, marshmallows, brownies, etc. too!

Have a blessed day!

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  6:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Three things I adore - onions, butter and cream! Can't wait to try it!!
Thank you very much,
Pamela Joy

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Use those garden onions! Carmelized Onion Pudding Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page