True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  5:56:02 PM  Show Profile
Do you, did you, have you ever?

I started when I was in my teens quit when I got Pregnant and started again when I turned 35. Quit for good Nov 11, 2006
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  5:57:49 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
No, NEVER...because both my parents do and it destroyed my nasal passages. I can't even be within the vicinity or else I start sneezing and my nose runs something awful. Congrats on quitting. Scott quit 5 years ago...it is tough but SO good for you.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  7:56:05 PM  Show Profile
I quit with each baby, my youngest is 28, then started again after each, never smoked in the house or car. Quit about 18 years ago, then started again when my husband was diagnoced with pancriatic cancer, that was 3 years ago. He passed away 2 years ago this Aug 27th. I have quit and started again several times, but this last time (6 months ago) that I quit, I have not started back. I hope I never do again, its taken me 6 months to get my wind back.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  8:00:14 PM  Show Profile
Teresa,

I am sorry to hear about your husband. Good for you for quitting. Both of my inlaws passed away with complications from smoking. My husband smoked for years and quit about eighteen years ago. I am so glad he did.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  04:37:56 AM  Show Profile
I started smoking when I was 15 and quit when I was 21. I smoked about a pack a day.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  3:21:19 PM  Show Profile
I started smoking a little bit when I was 12, then by the time I was 15 I smoked regularly. I quit when I was 26 for 11 years. I smoked agian for one year when I was 37, after my youngest daughter died. Then I quit agian and have mever smoked again. 22 yrs. now.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  5:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Never!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  6:50:12 PM  Show Profile
Same with me Heather. I have always had sinus and ear problems growing up and it carried through my adult life.

Congratulations to those who have quit! I know from watching my parents struggle how hard it can be. Great job!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  05:21:08 AM  Show Profile
I started in my teens because I *thought* it was cool. I was hypnotized to quit and it worked. It just so happens that my quit date is my oldest daughters birthday! I quit exactly 1 year before she was born and have been smoke free for 12 years.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  06:18:04 AM  Show Profile
I never did or have--not even tried it. My father was a heavy smoker and died at 69. It just always grossed me out, and I used to put towels under my door so the smell wouldn't get into my room when I was a young girl. I hated the ashtrays on the table...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes, briefly. it was the "cool" thing with the kids I hung out with at the time. Thank you God that I quit. I saw Dad go through all the goodies of emphysema at the end of his life as well as watching an aunt die. I applaud Dad for quitting; when he died he had been off cigarettes for 13 years. That was mostly likely the reason we had our good times during the last five years of his life. We became best friends then. He smoked for 44 years, from the time he was about 10. So I know anyone out there CAN quit.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  10:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes. I started when I was 18. Stopped 17 years ago but started again last year :( Been through so much lately, just need it. I DO want to stop again, some day, but now now. I know it is bad.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:14:15 AM  Show Profile
I have to laugh. The flames coming up on the folder for hot topic :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:22:22 PM  Show Profile
I smoked in order to get a break. The non-smokers all worked harder and longer than the smokers. So I decided if that was the only way I could get a break I would start smoking, and I did. So I started at 18 and quit at 28 when I got pregrant. Transfered to an easier job site. Medical Surgical, I'm 57, retired and thankful I never went back to smoking. My dad quit 36 years ago and the Dr said his bladder cancer could have been caused by his smoking 36 years ago. Strange as that seemed to me I just nodded my head and thought should I find another dr or could this one be right?

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:33:41 AM  Show Profile
I smoked from age 18 to 24. I quit shortly before I got married, and then started up again shortly after. Then Grandaddy died, and I quit that very day. Haven't smoked since, and that was about six years ago.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:52:43 AM  Show Profile
Started at 15 and quit 35 years later. Been smoke free for 6 years now. It was hard, but worth it.

Both of my parents and my stepdad smoked those awful red Pall Malls. That's not what they died from, but I'm sure it didn't help.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  11:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Started when I was 18 and smoked 2 packs a day for 20 years. I quit in 1997 and haven't had one since although I've been known to inhale deeply when I'm around someone who's just lit a fresh one! Best thing I've ever done for myself!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  11:58:24 AM  Show Profile
Never have...never will. We are a family of with lung issues. My mother and sister are chronically asthmatic. My DD and I both have smaller than normal lungs. Doesn't really cause us a problem, but it's quite interesting to doctors.

Allergies to just about anything you can name are also very common in my family. I'm even allergic to camels!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  02:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Started smoking in nurses training....LOTS of us did.....that was back in '76. Quit when I got pregnant with my oldest son through hypnotism then started again after 2nd son was born. Quit several yrs later..then started again....then got a divorce...then quit and haven't smoked since 2002. Started into menopause and was having heart palpitations and the scare factor sure helped. A few really hard flutters and you realize ...It's time. Nicorette gum made it easier.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  03:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Started in college and stayed with it through my single party years. Stopped just b/c I didn't like the taste anymore back in '97.

I still get cravings for it if I;m really stressed or after a fantastic meal.
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  3:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Congrats to all those who quit and to all those you never started. I started in my late 20's and quit many times for long periods of time. I have been smoke free for about a year and a half and have no desire to start again. It has aged my face so much and is a very dirty annoying habit. I always felt so incomfortable around non smokers. Glad I am free.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Smoke Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page