Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 Vacations Where, When , How, and Why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Vacations Where, When , How, and Why? Next Topic
Page: of 2

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile
I thought it would be kind of neat to find new places to go on vacation, or just another way for everyone to share. Where do you go on vacation, when do you go, summer fall, spring, etc. how do you get there, places you stay, with freinds, or hotel, family. and Why did you choose the place, and did you have fun, what did you do?
Every year my family goes up to a little cottage near Honor, Michigan. The cottage was bought in the 30's and was renovated, by my great grandfather who was a master carpenter but was a penny pincher which I love but find humorous when I lift the large area rug in the livingroom to find the floor varnished only on the outside edges of the room, not under the carpet! My mom aunt and two brothers share time, and the cost of the cottage. My aunt and uncle, mom, dad, myself and daughter squeeze into the 2 bedroom cottage in late august early september, it is wuprisingly roomy for being so small. Everyone goes fishing, usually my dad and uncle go salmon fishing in lake michigan, from Frankfort or platte river. Fishing, canoeing antiquing, driving around to small towns like Lelanau for cheese and fresh bread, and visiting all the unique craft and art galleries fill the days. My daughter is content to just wade in the water by the dock and look for freshwater clams and crayfish. She caught two last year without getting pinched. She just plucked them out of the water! There is no heat in the cottage except a fireplace, but it is a wonderful place to toast marshmellows! Unfortunatly I will not be able to go with the rest of my family this year, as I have two new schipperke puppies, and my daughter starts kindergarten and I don't want her to miss the first week. So I am staying home this year but at least we won't have to find a animal sitter for the farm! that gets expensive.. I can't wait to hear about all your adventures!

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  4:40:44 PM  Show Profile
I know Honor MI!!! That's a wonderful area. Of course you have been to Gwen Frostic's in Benzonia right? Beautiful art prints/stationary/and what not. Lot's of fun stuff to do in the "pinky". I grew up on that side of the state. Now I'm closer to Lansing and a few years ago discovered the "sunrise side" of the state. I love the Harrisville area.

This summer we are doing more "field trips" to local sites. But, I did decide to take a few days and hit the UP. We'll drive straight up to Sault Ste. Marie and stay in a motel....do a boat tour of the locks and then head for Tahquamenon. A couple of days there in a tent and exploring White Fish Point and Lake Superior, and of course, the falls area. Then we're going to head back down to Oscoda (another motel) and do a short canoe trip. Maybe kayaks. Last year we tubed it. It was so cold that day....we were blue. BUT I did see a bald eagle. He was young but really beautiful. Flew right down the river just above the trees to us, circled and did it again...3x!!!! I was so geeked!!!

Then the following week, it'll be off to Kentucky to visit relatives and a family reunion (with family we've never met....) That's just a quick 4 day trip. I've been thinking about turning into something a bit longer with some white water rafting at Cumberland Falls but we'll see. Then there is still August! :-) I've been meaning to go to Chicago via train. There is a Harry Potter exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry. I remember really liking that coal mine excursion as a kid.

Last week we went to the Detroit Science Center for the day and caught the Star Trek exhibit there too. It was a fun (but expensive) day. We caught the electric show which was way cool to see actual lightening generated indoors!!!! Then there are a couple of local zoos we might take in this summer too. I love the Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek and the Toledo Zoo can't be beat either for a fun day! At Binder Park it's the African outback that's a ton-o-fun...at Toledo, don't miss the polar bears and the penguins. Oh and we need to spend a day at the MI historical museum in downtown Lansing.

Summer is our time to explore. I try to either prep the kids for the next year's subject areas or reinforce something they may have learned this school year. I was tempted to just throw them in the car and take off for Maine again. I think the drive through upstate NY, VT, and NH would be amazing. I've been/lived in upstate NY but the kids have never seen the Adirondacks. But, 4th grade is when our district focuses on MI, so I opted for the UP. To me, there is nothing better than an afternoon by one of the "big" lakes finding petoskey stones and "stuff" that has washed ashore. Your cottage sounds like a divine place to grow up in the summers! I love the Glen Arbor area too. We had friends that got married on North Manitou. What a trip. I was sooooo pregnant with my oldest for that one! I wasn't sure I was going to handle the boat trip over. Another friend had gone over with the wedding party and greeted us as we got off the boat with fiddle playing on the beach. Too cool.
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  05:32:46 AM  Show Profile
What a fun topic! This summer we're sticking close to home - mostly camping weekends. But that's fine by me!

One of our favorite vacations is a week of houseboating. We rent on Dale Hollow Lake (although we've done other lakes) - this one is our favorite. http://www.hendrickscreek1.com/ There are no homes on the lake, it's so big you rarely run into another houseboat when you're tied up for the night. We tie up way back in an inlet for a few nights. The animals & birds you hear are incredible. You don't even hear signs of man - no airplanes, no cars, no boats - nothing! Unless you head out into the main lake. The stars! Oh, my! Breathtaking!

We fish, hike, have campfires, bathe in the lake! Swim all day long. It's so relaxing. Nothing like being out on the lake all week long listening to nature. My girls are begging to go back.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

paintnpencils
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

jessica
glen rock pa
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  3:43:22 PM  Show Profile
wow a house boat, that sounds like alot of fun! I love the peace and quiet too. And yes I do go to gwen frostics every year and buy cards and stationary, with the most beautiful wildlife prints!

each day is a new oportunity to create,improve, expand, and share.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  6:18:45 PM  Show Profile
I've thought about a houseboat vacation....very cool. I'll check out that website. I kind of shied away from that when the boys were young fearing one or both overboard....you know. These days I'm thinking I could use a quiet little inlet ALONE.... LOL

I love Gwen's. She is so amazing. One year I asked her to be a guest speaker at a conference I was helping organize and she traveled to Grand Rapids (where the conf was), spoke, and even donated one of her beautiful prints (signed) for my group as a fund raiser. She talked about disabilities and creativity (it was a special education conference). It was standing room only! She was truly amazing.
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Here is one!
Coeur d alene Idaho and MaryJanesFarm 2009 Buggy, Barter and Boogie July 3,4,5 :)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  4:55:48 PM  Show Profile
Sat down for a break. Saw this forum. Had to respond. Trying to get all the cherries picked from 1 of my 2 trees.

Leaving (driving) in the morning for Santa Cruz, CA. My old stoppn' ground. Have not been back in 4 years. Boy, do I miss the ocean.

Attending a wedding, then staying for the week a block from the beach in Capitola. Family and friends will visit. We can walk to everything. No driving. (for the most part) Yea!!! My older kids can go and come as they please. Usually we camp, we'll be spoiled.

Check out my blog on Cherry Time.

Simple Living With Nature........Farmgirl #157
www.beyondagarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  08:38:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Santa Cruz and Capitola! I lived in Boulder Creek for a few summers and that was out big "get away" from the summer camp where I worked! Go by the ice cream place in Capitola(Polar Bear??) and have a chocolate-raspberry cone for me!

We are heading up to Washington and Oregon see my folks and all of my and my husband's siblings in August.Who knows, maybe we'll detour through Santa Cruz on the way home....

Have great vacations/staycations girls!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  12:20:55 PM  Show Profile
We live in a remote part of Northern Michigan, so we're all ready camping. May camp out at the back of our land to watch the meteor showers in Aug. but mostly just napping on the front deck!
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  5:45:01 PM  Show Profile
We are planning on going to Chicago on my birthday weekend August 16th for a Bonsai Tree exhibit and show at the botanical gardens. It will be a little bit of a drive but, I just love Bonsai trees...wish I had that talent and the patience to do the art form.

That's where we are going this summer.
Too poor to go any further!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  5:46:45 PM  Show Profile
Happy Daze...Remote part of Northern Michigan...Upper peninsula?

Whereabouts??

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  7:33:41 PM  Show Profile
What a GREAT topic! We are looking forward to our annual trek to Priest Lake which is in the very northern part of the panhandle. We meet up with 3 generations of cousins that come from CT, IL, TX, CA, WA, and MT. I come from a very strong matriarchal family (maybe that's why I'm so drawn to MJ?) which has been compared to a "lion's pride" of females...great role models for my own teen daughters. Anyway, after spending 10 monthes teaching high school science to teenagers, I LIVE for that week of comradere, family, fun, rest, relaxation, and good food and beverage. I call it my re-charge week

One of my favorite things about "The Lake" is that I'm in charge of planning and cooking for our two cabins (10-14 people) and I love it! It's the one time that I can try out new recipes and have loads of fun. This year I get to incorporate some homemade goat cheeses into the menu because a couple of my cousins have recently started a goat dairy and have been making yummy cheeses.

The other "vacation" we take is the County Fair each year. Since my girls have loads of animals and projects there, it's easiest just to pull the camper into town and hang out for the week with other like-minded folks...fun fun fun!!!! It's such a great micro-community of really good people!

Ok, I've rambled enough...I just think it's a fun topic

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  2:57:13 PM  Show Profile
I am on a "vacation" right now. I am in northern Idaho visiting my grandma. I have been here over a week already and will leave in another week. I always love coming up here to visit her! She is such a wonderful woman and I love hanging out with her. The area is wonderful as well! Beautiful lake, mountains, nature... ahhh just great!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  6:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey, where in Northern Idaho are you? You're having excellent weather too!

Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  05:01:11 AM  Show Profile
My husband is using his 2 weeks to stay home and help me when our baby arrives, so we are just doing local day trips with our kids! We went to the National Zoo a few weeks ago and we'll do other day things!! I look forward to being able to go on trips when my kids get a little older!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:39:11 AM  Show Profile
Misty - When is your baby due? Congratulations!

Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  5:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks...November 07. We are having a girl, who has no name as of today!!!
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  5:54:21 PM  Show Profile
I have 2 girls (15 and almost 17). Picking names was fun, but frustrating too. You'll find the perfect name for your new little one...be patient! :)

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:13:38 PM  Show Profile
BBB is our vacation this year and then maybe a weekend at a nearby lake with our RV if we can get in.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:24:29 PM  Show Profile
There are lots of nice lakes in Idaho...you probably already know that! Have a great vacation!

Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  4:16:37 PM  Show Profile
We are currently on vacation in beautiful Lakeside, Ohio. It is on the shores of Lake Erie and is a small community with cottages built from the late 1800s through the 50s.Was faounded by the Methodist Church as a Chautauqua where people could come to take classes to enrich their mind, body and soul. It still functions that way today. There are lots of classes. My sister is teaching a kids class on recycled art projects. Entertainment every night. Family movies at the theater. It is like living in "Leave It To Beaver"'s home town. It is truly like something from the 50s. Kids everywhere on bikes and at the beach. Lots of walking, biking and just doing nothing if that's what you choose. This is the most family oriented place I have ever been.
We have rented a little cottage for 2 weeks, My mom, sister, daughter and granddaughter.
They have a parade on the 4th and Alyssa will be in it with her wheelchair all decked out in red, white and blue.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  11:00:17 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a GREAT place! Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  06:22:32 AM  Show Profile
We actually go on "vacation" to our farm! It is in western Michigan, we rarely go anywhere else. Two years ago we took a vacation from our vacation and drove up to Traverse City, hit the cherry festival, went to Mackinac Island, and an overnight stay at a B&B at a winery. Wonderful relaxing vacation, lots of local fresh food.

The firsts posts in this topic took me back to a vacation in northwestern Michigan. Many years ago I went to the Frankfort, Benzonia, etc. area on a bicycle trip. We saw Gwen Frostic's studio, visited a chocolatier that made the most amazing hand-dipped chocolates, and also went to Terri Haugen's gallery. Terri uses a batik technique to do wonderful art, I bought a couple of her prints, and they remind me of that vacation every time I look at them.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  7:11:57 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a Teardrop trailer and were off for MJ's farm!!!Instead of just Hoteling it or B&Bing we'll get to take it to camp sites we find on the way.
It's a big deal for us to leave our farm and garden and we pay dearly for sitters.What about getting a web-site started that's like homeexchange.com, but instead Farm Exchange.Maybe we just get to share farms that are willing to have visitors on this web-site.I like the way people coming to Mary Jane's Fourth of July party pitched in and put people up.
I'd be willing to have visitors,we live on Mendocino coast near Gualala.We have camping available or a large trailer people can stay in.Let me know.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  05:12:44 AM  Show Profile
I won't be going away at all this year. In fact I am working through my holiday, so no extra days off. But that is oke. I love my job (still YAY)so don't mind the working through the vacation period. I don't have to deliver any junk mail this week, only today. And the mail is slow due to the vacation period, so will be a short route the rest of the week. And then have the rest of the day of to do what i like :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  05:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Dutchy, why don't you take 2 weeks off for Christmas and come visit me in New Delhi---we could have a lot of fun lol.....think about it-----there's a lot of pink things there.

Beverly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Vacations Where, When , How, and Why? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page