GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I need your help farm girls. My grandmother made a dressing for garden lettuce that created a wilted lettuce, so I think it was cooked, then put on the greens when still warm. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Would love your help if you have a recipe that sounds like what I'm remembering. Thanks.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  09:45:56 AM  Show Profile
I love wilted lettuce and haven't had it since I was a kid. My mother made it all the time. Here's a recipe that I found on the internet.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Wilted-Lettuce-Salad/Detail.aspx

I think we're going to have to have some of this for supper.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rusticcottage
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kay - don't know why I didn't check All Recipes, I use that site alot. I'm going to try this for supper.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:43:35 AM  Show Profile
Well, I sortof just make my own, Gail...I use vinegar or apple cider vinegar, whatever I've got on hand, and bacon grease and a little brown sugar. I put some pepper in it, too, then warm it up on the stove so all the flavors meld, and then pour it over the greens.

I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to do it, but I've never had a complaint :P

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Jonni - I think you should move closer to me LOL - I would love sharing a cup of coffee, tea or glass of lemonade with you.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I would love it, Gail! We could tabletalk (and eat) our way through the afternoon!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  08:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi Gael,
My Gramma used to make wilted lettuce and I would look forward to it every spring when the leaf lettuce was ready! She would fry her bacon bits and then remove the bits and let them drain. In the meantime, she would "measure" how much bacon fat was in the pan and use that to make her dressing. She used a 1:1:1 of bacon fat, sugar, and vinegar. I've modified it a little these days and use rice vinegar and pour it over a salad of fresh spinach, chive flowers (pulled apart into individual little florettes), and very thinly sliced baby onions. Sprinkle with the bacon bits and sometimes homemade chevre cheese.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kelly - I ended up doing just that - I used apple cider vinegar - a little brown sugar, the chives and cheese sound like a great addition, I will try that. Thank you so much.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile
When my Mom made wilted lettuce, she just fried up the bacon, crumbled it up and while the greese was sizzeling hot, poured it over the lettuce/green onion/radish salad. It would snap and crackle when the hot grease hit the damp lettuce. When I was in the 9th grade got into it with the home eck teacher, she insisted that Momma put vinegar in it. NO she didn't.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:58:15 AM  Show Profile
How funny! I thought Granny INVENTED this recipe!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  08:50:01 AM  Show Profile
When I make this for my husband I fry the bacon, crumble it up over the greens, then add cider vinegar, sugar and salt and pepper to the grease and pour it over the lettuce. Not much different from what everyone else is saying, EXCEPT, my husband likes to eat it over cubed, boiled potatoes. I do not know why buy he loves it. I boil the cubed potatoes and add a little butter and salt to them then he mashes them with his fork. But doesn't want mashed potatoes. Men are weird, but apparently that's how his grandmother used to serve it, so I just follow suit.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  09:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Sarah - I don't think your hubby is weird - this is a little off the subject, but my mom when we were kids always peeled and sliced cucumbers, soaked in cold salt water, drained off water, added sliced onions and poured a can of evaporated milk over the cukes and onions. To this day it is how I prefer cucumbers, but I like them with potatoes that I have mashed with my fork, added butter, salt and pepper and then mix with the cucumbers. Yummy - and now I have made the wilted lettuce as you and others have suggested, we love it and yes, I can see it with potatoes. Tonights menu, wilted lettuce, cucumbers, potatoes and maybe some sweet corn. Thanks for the ideas.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wilted Lettuce Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page