Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic WooHoo! Improvement! Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I just wanted to share my excitement.

See, 21 days ago, I thought I was Superwoman. I push mowed the lawn. I loaded and unloaded 20 bags of mulch from our old 86 F-150, which has no shocks and the seat is miserable. Then I drove said truck 20 miles, loaded four 50-pound bags of manure in the back, then had 2 scoops of mulch dumped into the back. It was hot, I got a little dry - but drove back up the way to my place. Did grocery shopping. Then I thought I was going to do some landscaping.

Well halfway through that hole, my back had another idea. I was smacked by a spasm so strong it took me straight to the ground with such force I will NEVER get the grass stains out of those pants.

From there, I was not able to walk. I started to get better, then had a setback. I have tried medical drugs (ew) to reduce the inflammation and muscle spasms. Eventually I had to stop those - I was getting bad drops in blood pressure, my heart rate was low low, and my stomach hurt. So I said, am I much of an herbalist or not?

I started chugging tumeric. Added my dandelion tincture to every beverage. Arnica, both internally and as a salve. Valerian at 1/3 dose helped me sleep and keep some of those spasms in check.

I can honestly say, now that the spasms are gone, that something is wrong - I can see the right hip is higher than the other, and I can only manage to walk around for 30 minutes before I start getting sharp pains that tell me to lie down again. It even shows up in how I can walk - like I have to swing the right side a little further, sorta like wearing one shoe and not the other. I'm seeing a highly recommended chiropractor on Tuesday, hopefully he can straighten out those hips.

But the HOORAY is that I can FINALLY do the acute and sub-acute back strengthening anti-spasm exercises, all ten of them, without pain! I'm also able to do two of the three exercises from previous physical therapy that may help my SI go back into line. YAY! Small victory, but for 21 days, this was impossible. I'm feeling like healing is on the horizon, and that I may be able to salvage my summer after all.

So WOOOHOOOOO! I just had to share.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:12:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Lynn: Even wonder-woman must have had spasms at one time or another! Happy to hear you can exercise! Take care of yourself and keep us posted. You are a true farmgirl!!!!!!!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:40:20 PM  Show Profile
That has got to hurt bad. I know what you mean about wanting to do it all and right away. I have had to learn to take things slower and take breaks. I have to lift several 50 lb bags of grain all the time. There's 2 in the back of the car right now that I'll have to get out sooner or later. Probably later. But all the bean picking I do is really hard on my back.

So take it easy and I hope the chiropractor can help.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn, glad that superwoman is back on her feet even if a bit crooked. LOL. I'm impressed that you have healed more with the herbs than prescriptions. I too am trying to get off the drugs as much as possible. still finding my way around. working on the blood pressure at the moment. I have so much more confidence in herbs that the latest chemical concoction. take care and keep us posted on how you are doing. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  7:13:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm healing, that's the good thing. I see a well-known chiropractor on Tuesday - been waiting for ever it seems - hopefully he can straighten those hips out and *maybe* the pain will go bye-bye. Maybe. *crosses fingers*

Phyllis, I discovered that the prescription meds work at first, but before too long they are too strong and are not worth the damage they are causing - then your body has to work on the damage instead of focusing so much on the original injury. Also, I tend to react negatively (so does my mother) to 'script drugs. I was starting to get stomachaches, seeing stars from the low blood pressure and the odd heart rate... not promising.

I think *some* of the improvement was just feeling empowered - deciding that *I* have the ability to heal *myself* and without worrying about getting a GI bleed thanks to some prescription drugs. I study herbs all the time, and I use myself as a big experiment all the time, but somehow being in as much pain as I've been, I didn't initially feel competent enough. I didn't think the herbs could be strong enough. They are not as strong as say, the NSAIDs, and I sure wasn't going to take the narcotic or the painkillers (knowing me, I'd decide I was OK and do something stupid if I wasn't able to feel the pain). Valerian isn't as powerful as say, cyclobenzaprine but yunno - the drug makes me feel soooo tired, I worried I was going to fall asleep on the way to the bathroom! But if i take valerian I just feel very content and a little sleepy. I wish I grew my own, because then I would know exactly how strong each dose is. Oh well.

Broccoli is great for lowering blood pressure. So is celery, garlic, tomato, and carrots. Herbs that are good are saffron and purslane (high in magnesium, which apparently some people with HBP are low on). Since valerian also works as a sedative, it too, reduces blood pressure (but I'd take it before bed).
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lynn, how ya doin? did the chiropractor help get you straightened out, help the pain? sure hope so.

thanks for the info on the blood pressure. I know what you mean about not tolerating the presciption things. I started on blood pressure meds 20plus years ago. I don't know if my body is past healing it's self after all those years of damage but I'm trying to help. back in those days I went from having a normal low b/p to elevated suddenly, don't know why. I was a nurse well steeped in the traditional way of thinking,"the doc says take this so I take it". LOL. those days are long gone.

I have some valerian that I usually take for sleep. boy does that stuff stink.LOL. sure does work though. I have several health issues that can be associated with low magnesium, so I'm working on that. just got back from the farm market with a basket full of goodies.

sure hope you are feeling better today. hugs Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  2:25:07 PM  Show Profile
I have a curve in my lower back because one leg is a fraction of an inch shorter than the other, and it throws off my hips and everything. I wear a little lift in my shoe and it really helps. I do see a chiropractor and he makes all the difference when I'm down in my back. Unless it is truly horrible, I take naproxen for the inflammation and ice down my back for 20 minutes at a time.

I hope you get to feeling better and that the doc helps.

Take care.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic WooHoo! Improvement! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page