Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hydrangea's Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Can I grow them in large pots??? With moving all the time, I would hate to plant and leave them behind but I LOVE them so much. I have 2 very large pots. If I can, what kind of soil should I use and shade/sun???

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hydrangeas prefer more shade than sun - filtered shade or part-shade is ideal.

You want big pots, and whatever soil you use, make sure it retains some moisture. The hardest thing with hydrangeas is they dry out FAST, and when they dry out, they are miserable. They love, love water.

I have three that are just beautiful this year - finally! I too love these plants, they didn't grow well in Florida (too hot and sand doesn't retain water at ALL). I get a smile every time I manage to limp out to my deck and see them.
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
I love hydrangeas! They're so beautiful. I've been growing mine in pots for about a year and half, now because I don't own the land and do not want to leave them behind. I have two that I did put in the ground and they are a bit bigger but they are also a year older and different varieties than my ones in the pots. I keep mine in filtered sun because the sun is just too much right now. That's another good thing about pots- you can move things around if need be. Here's a link that will help you out hopefully.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/staff/rbir/hycontainer.html

When I'm planting things in pots that need a lot of water such as these, I throw some used tea bags in the pot, I think it helps keep the soil moist. During those really hot days, I irrigate my pots by filling up soda bottles, water bottles, juice bottles...whatever I can get, and turning them upside down in the soil. You can make drip irrigators from old milk jugs too-just put a couple holes in the bottom and sit on the soil surface. It may look like heck for that time but the plants sure do appreciate it. Good Luck.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
THANKS!! The house we are moving into has a partially shaded front and that is where I want to put them to spruce up the place. Kentucky has been getting a lot of rain so I think I will be alright, not like dry dry dry Texas right now!!! : (

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  6:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a hydrangea bush on the north side of my house and that is where they seem to do best. We've had lots of rain this year and it has more blooms than it ever has and they're all the pretty blue color they're supposed to be. I don't know what the secret is--a combination of the right soil, lots of water, and limited sunlight. I guess I just lucked out this year. Good luck with yours.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hydrangea's Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page