AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:18:19 AM  Show Profile
So we moved onto our little farm late last year and this is our first year with our garden plot. Needless to say since this plot is recently converted from a hay field, our weeds are running rampant this year. Our sheep seem to enjoy eatting some of the weeds, but not Thistle, (which we expected). I've heard this shouldn't go into the compost heap as it might just sprout our compost with more thistle seeds. What should we do with the all the pulled up thistles? I have them by the wheelbarrow full - no kidding, and a ton more to get out of the ground.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:44:50 AM  Show Profile
Take them to the dump or if you are at area you can burn put in you burn pile. To really get rid of them easy I have a garden tool that is shaped like a horse stirup and is sharp on both sides so that when you either push or pull it will cut it off at the root top and that will kill them quicker that pulling.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:01:17 AM  Show Profile
gramadinah,
I do believe that you are speaking of my most favorite garden tool ever, a "HULA HOE", who ever designed this tool , was the smartest person on this planet, as far as a weeder goes!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:34:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank you I knew it had a name I LOVE it. My garden looks great with about 5 min with that and the weeds are gone.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  9:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Shoot! if it weren't for the "weeds" I'd never have any fun! lol! I swear I am always pulling 'weeds'...my poor little garden is struggling thanx to all the weeds....I live smack dap tween farms, horse & alpaca ranches so I get all kinds of crazy things growing except the things I plant!!! oh well....maybe next year..
I have a Dutch Hoe that I use to wack the weeds...I think it is much like the "Hula Hoe"...
I love living in my Garden of Weedin....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Back to the Thistles......Years ago when we had patches of thistles in our horse pastures an elderly gentleman told me to cut them down in August and they wouldn't come back. He was right!!! For a few years anyway. The wind carries the seed pods from other places. I went to a pasture management class last year and told my story and the teacher laughed at me. That is why I don't speak up too much. He said thistles grow by root runner and chopping them wouldn't do anything. Well, I'll do what I know and he can ........whatever. The horses won't eat the growing thistle heads but once chopped they will peel back their lips and eat away. Weird.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  10:13:34 PM  Show Profile
I love my hula hoe too..but have a new favorite this year...it is called the "winged weeder". It is AWESOME!! I got the short handled version and have loved making short work of weeds in the garden this year. As for thistle..hmmmmm. My goat loves ANY weed.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:39:45 PM  Show Profile
So I looked it up in the sheep book and apparently thistle isn't toxic to sheep. So we left them out there in a pile and not too long after the pile of weeds was totally consumed by the sheep. I don't think we'll let them eat the flowering plants though since I don't want the sheep manure to just sprout more weeds. But I'll look into finding that hula hoe and see if that doesn't do the trick. My back is pretty sore from the weeding I did a couple days ago and being 5 months pregnant, I'm not sure how much longer I can bend over to pull weeds. Thanks for the tips ladies!

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I have the Winged Weeder too---Love it!! MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  12:30:12 PM  Show Profile
I love the Hula Hoe too, but this year I have a new tool I love. A HoeDag. It's incredible! Perfectly balanced and chops out anything from button weed to dandelions with two swings. Check it out at http://www.hoedag.com

Mine was a gift and I'm buying them for my gardener daughters.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile
AlyssaMarie,
that is tooo funny,,,, I never thought of the "outcome" of what is eaten....hahaha!
One of the ranchers about 3miles down the road had a small herd/flock of sheep but I have noticed there are only 2 left....I am thinking they were for meat & not for their wool.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  9:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Put them into a black garbage bag till they rot, then burn them....

Farmgirl Sister #368
"It is most common for man to value most what has least worth."
My Farm and Garden blog....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  07:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Well I found a generic Hula Hoe at our local hardware store and brought it home to try. My husband got a sharpener and said he'd sharpen it for me to make it work better. Apparently he knew about them from when he was a kid and completely forgot until I mentioned the farmgals suggestions online. HaHa! Thank you ladies and I'll let you know how it works, I have a lot of weeding to do this weekend!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What to do with weeds? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page