Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone had waterlines dug up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone had waterlines dug up? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  05:56:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, it appears that we have had some collapsing in our main waterline, and that is cause for all the backup. They are coming to do an estimate today and I just know it's going to be at least $5,000.00. Um...we can't afford $50.00.

Anyone have experience with this? My husband (who is dear, though not the most handy) thinks that we can cut costs exceedingly by him doing the digging himself. I would agree with that, but my concern is that he doesn't know how to go about it. It's TOUGH work!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile
They usually come in with a back hoe and dig it up, and then hand shovel as they put the new line in so that it drains the right way. If its all one depth the water can't move.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  08:20:02 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking he'd need major equipment. Someone at the office mentioned a "ditch-witch" that can easily be rented and maneuvered. Our water line has been crushed by shifting land (drought + rain = trouble) so they will have to find the point in which it's crushed, they replace that to the cleanout I'd imagine. They will have to also drill through the foundation since it's under the add-on. Gotta love plumbing.

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  05:30:44 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that! I feel for you Jonni. We're about to do the something similar at our house. I actually thank God things happened the way they did. It could've been a lot worse. Dh had the water off to fix the faucet in back. When he turned the water back on, water started gushing down our hall. The hot water tank had busted. Water back off & we have no choice but to get a new tank. After 10 trips to Home Depot the hot water tank was all in. (I'm happy it happened the way it did because we were home. Otherwise the water would just keep coming!)

So, next morning...wake up to water on the floor. (We always had a crack in our floor since we moved in, but it has grown!) Well water was seeping from the crack. Pipe broken too. His plan is to pull up the tile, & replace the pipe himself which he has never done either. So for now, until he does it, we turn the tank on & off for taking showers & dishes. At least I'll get new tile in the kitchen & hall now! But I may have a cement floor til I can afford it too!

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - FarmGirl~K on Jun 16 2009 05:33:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Argh. No advice, but I'm sorry. That sucks. Is this going to be instead of that basement refinishing project, or another big job on top of it?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  08:32:53 AM  Show Profile
This is going to be instead of the basement repair, Amie...what they say is true. When you start uncovering, you uncover problems!!! As it stands, we can't take a shower and do dishes, or you can't flush the toilet all day (and um, that's just gross). And absolutely NO laundry. So, I've been trekking over to my mom's every other night to get some done. Hard to keep up with the little one...she changes clothing more than me :)

Thanks though for the commiserating. Kelly, I'm so sorry you're experiencing something like this too--but I have to say, I for one am really glad I did not see a river of water coming down my hall!!! I think after the weeks we've had with car repairs, I would have just grabbed the kid, dogs and cats, shut the door and drove off into the sunset (heck, I still might do that!!!).

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  05:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Hope everything gets resolved for you soon Jonni! I can't imagine not being able to do some of the things you cant right now. Its got to be frustrating! Especially with a little one & all the messes they can make.
Ours is a hassle right now, but its can be worked around. Dh plans on pulling up the tile today. Then we'll have to rent a jackhammer to dig into our slab. I will say it kinda scares me to do this in the house. One thing you might have your DH do too is look on youtube & see if theres anything on there about doing this. They have all kinds of stuff on there that you never would think would be. At least it would give him a little guidance if he's not used to doing these types of things. I know I will be suggesting it to mine.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  07:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jonni! I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your water! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  2:12:35 PM  Show Profile
Now that is a bummer for sure for you two gals.
Jonni, hauling laundry with little ones is a chore I still remember.
We are having our water lines done in the mobile park we are in, but we don't have top do any of the work. I agree, try you tube and the diy.com. They may have instructions there as well.
Keep hanging in there girl. Home repair...argghhhh, but it is nice when it is all done, or does all done every really happen.....grin.

www.lavendarfieldsdreamer.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  2:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Oooppps signed in as LFD, instead of me....lol

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  2:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Carol Sue...it's a bummer, but it's not going to cost as much as I had thought (thinking $4000-$5000) but it's coming in around $1700. That's doable, though it sets us back for the whole summer really. Jus will dig so that cut some of the cost--whew. It's ALWAYS something!

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2009 :  3:09:52 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
Wish I could help! wish I lived next door, I would at least try to help y'all. Good luck. Maybe if your husband and you help the professional do it, he/she may give you a discount. Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  06:01:55 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marly, you're too kind...it is always something, isn't it? Jus started digging the hole last night and did a pretty amazing job. Will finish up today. It's going to be a scorcher though, here, humid and sticky, but you deal with that all the time in Louisiana, don't you, Marly? By the way, my daddy was born in Tioga...are you anywhere near there? Now, it'd be something if you are, because as I know it, NOTHING is near Tioga :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:18:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Jonni! Jus sure was serious when he meant to do it himself!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  08:21:27 AM  Show Profile
He sure was, Alee...he was soooo dirty! We've had nothing but rain here the last few days (which made for an easier time digging) but he was covered head to toe in mud and sweat. Then he put his clothes on the sink!!! I didn't scold him though, because that was HARD work...he just got a nice homemade meal and a cold beer :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  11:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So he thinks he will be able to finish the digging today? Sometimes it amazes me what the guys can get done! I must have missed the "Digging expertise" gene! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone had waterlines dug up? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page