Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Stockpiling Next Topic  

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  7:33:55 PM  Show Profile
Do you stockpile, especially using coupon deals such as those mentioned on moneysavingmom's site?

I stockpile a little bit, but I have been reading up on a full cup dot com's site. Some of the stockpiles shown on there are hoarding if you ask my opinion.
I think if you can, you should donate those items to those in need.

I was just curious. I don't want to start a huge debate or anything.
How much of your stockpile do you find yourself using versus donating?

I think some of the items you can find "cheap" or free, is stuff I wouldn't buy anyways.

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  03:56:19 AM  Show Profile
I guess you could call what I do stockpiling - I shop for 3 months at a tome. I don't do what they do at moneysavingmom's site or fullcup's - I just took a look-see at some of those pictures. I would have to say it does look like hoarding. Why would 1 person need 92 bottles of salad dressing, 33 bottles of bbq sauce - etc. I know it was a great deal. I would love to walk into my food pantry and hand over 82 bottles or so of that! Wouldn't that be incredible?!

I guess I'm not doing such a great job at couponing. I buy 2 or 3 extra when I find a good deal and leave it at that. We just don't have the extra money for things like that. Plus I'd be afraid it would go bad. And I agree with what you said:
quote:
I think some of the items you can find "cheap" or free, is stuff I wouldn't buy anyways.

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  12:36:42 PM  Show Profile
I just think some of those women have some type of mental issue. I can understand picking up a few extra, or the limit. But a lot of them seem to be proud of the fact that they clear out their local store.
It doesn't leave any for the rest of us that are legit.

It is easy to get caught up in it, but like you said, do you really need 80 something bottles of salad dressing?

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  12:42:20 PM  Show Profile
I don't use that stuff anyway. I make my own dressings and marinades, and I don't need a coupon to do that (mustard, vinegar, mayo, herbs, olive oil--c'mon, use your noggins!). In fact, we don't eat very much "prepared" food at all, so coupons usually don't do me much good unless there rockin', like the one in last weeks paper for Ball canning jars :)

If I had a larger family, I might do Sams or Costco, but I don't. I can see some families buying dairy products like in larger quantities like deli sized bricks of cheese and gallons of milk (to freeze) but that's just not in me. I know you can freeze milk. I know it, but I don't. And I can't bring myself to. Call me stupid or whatever, but I'd just rather buy it.

I get too sick of food to stockpile anything--that's why, when the end of the world comes and I head down into my bunker, there won't be a thing in there! Just kidding, I don't have a bunker, either :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  1:59:09 PM  Show Profile
I stock pile with a few extras of everything, just in case I get laid off. A grim reality in the industry I work in, and we've had a lay off six times in the past year and a half.
I don't want to starve to death or be dirty. LOL

So I have about six months supply of health/beauty items. However on food, I might have a month or so. Mostly due to storage reasons, or I'd bump that up to around three months.
If I do get extra, or bonus/freebies/cheapies, I donate it. But I don't clear out the store or hoard it like a miser either.

Edited by - kissmekate on Jun 15 2009 2:00:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2009 :  4:09:07 PM  Show Profile
The problem with hoarding and sometimes stockpiling is most everything has an experation date on it, and if you don't rotate and use stuff up, you have a good chance on getting sick at the worst, or just plain ucky food. I onlt go to town and shop about every 2-21/2 months, I grow and raise 95% of our food. I have to get staples and sundrys, clothing and things like that. I "can" ALOT every year, fruits, veggys and meat and fish, lots of dehydrating, smoking also.But you have to have lots and lots of storage, and it has to be proper storage, cool and dark and dry. I have 2 root cellars, 4 walk in-coolers, and 6 commercial freezers, on 4 commercial the frigs. Thank God for wind and solar power. I also donate several hundred pounds of "canned" goods, along with meat to a food bank every year.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  06:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
We have always kept some food storage. We have many times live so far out in the boonies it's just not feasable to run to the store when you are out of something. Combine that with the fact that my hubbie has worked construction most of his life, and in construction, it's either feast or famine so you have to be prepared for the tight times. Also my hubbie comes from an LDS family and food storage is like second nature to him.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  06:26:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I very, very rarely use coupons because they are usually for products that I do not use because I cook, bake, can, etc myself.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  06:49:37 AM  Show Profile
Well, let me tell you that I don't know how many times I've walked into my friends closet and just turned green with envy from the stacks of TP and paper towels she had! lol

Stockpiling does seem a little over the top for me. I know I bought bottles of BBQ sauce and salad dressing and canned goods last year for branding planning on using them, then didn't. Thought I would go ahead and use them this year but all of the bottles had expired. I've also noticed that when I buy just regular everyday things that are on sale, the exp. date is usually very near by. I shop at smaller chain stores and the inventory may have all ready been sitting on their shelves for awhile. They won't keep very long on my shelves.. so stockpiling wouldn't do me very good.

My store has case sales a few time a year. I shop thoses for the canned goods. Tomato, chicken noodle soup creamed soups and veggies. I buy enough for a year and that's enough. The store does the same with pastas and frozen foods but you can only store frozen veggies for so long.

It just seems to me someone's idea of spreading hystaria through people who are all ready off kilter. JMO
I mean stocking up on a good sale or for a few months is all fine and good, but you don't need to have 20 boxes of cereal or piles of pasta just because a website says it saves money...

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:00:17 AM  Show Profile
I occasionally buy large amounts if the price is terrific but it doesn't go to waste because one or another of my grown kids is always broke so I gift stuff to them.
They really appreciate it.
Also, lots of canning and freezing. There is nothing better than having one of my son's 20 something friends call to tell me how much they love my peach jam and if I have an extra jar or two, send it their way.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

SpiritedRose
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Chestertown MD
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:03:08 AM  Show Profile
I buy a lot if something's on sale and then I freeze or store it. That way, each time I shop, I stock on on sale items but also only on things I need. Works well for a house of two people. I never like to "run-out" of something. :)

Cheesemaker with a supportive husband,
Registered Jersey breeder, AKC Akita breeder, and friend of two favorite cats!

spiritedrose.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  11:04:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't call it stockpiling, but I guess it really is. We call it our Food Storage.

We have 3 months of what will would usually eat, except that nothing is fresh or frozen. So this means everything is dried, canned, or otherwise preserved. On a daily basis, we use fresh foods and add in some of our foods storage items on a regular basis, so we can rotate them. If there were an emergency, unemployment, etc., we would switch to all food storage items.

Besides food, we have toilet paper, grooming products, cleaning supplies and pretty much anything else we might need for at least a 6 month period.

We don't consider our storage to be hoarding. We look at it more like preparedness. Kind of a form of insurance.

Joyce

Edited by - 1930sgirl on Jun 18 2009 11:04:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  4:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Well it has been shown time and time again that the most economical way to keep inventory (of anything, not just food) is to buy only what you need for the next foreseeable period of use, balancing out the cost of transportation. Inventory is subject to spoilage and breakage and costs you money and time to store (refrigerate, freeze, move around, count, repair, keep from rusting, trip over) and the money you spend on buying things to sit in your cabinet could be in the bank earning interest, or financing some new tools or training (or land) that could add to your earning potential. Especially if you have to buy it on credit, you then are also paying INTEREST on the stuff that is sitting around costing you.

But in order to maximize your savings you have to PLAN AHEAD and know what you will need, and then stick to the plan.

In manufacturing this is called "lean manufacturing"

All that being said, I don't want to bring up my yarn or fabric stashes...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jun 18 2009 4:45:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  7:28:57 PM  Show Profile
We keep a 3 to 6 months (more of some things) food storage. We rotate and use things constantly, and replace as needed. I am NOT great about stocking up on grooming and paper items...but the food storage things we are good about. Like Joyce, we feel it is preparedness and part of our life.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  8:29:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure what we do is considered stock piling. But we do keep a well stocked pantry/ freezer. I buy on sale when I can and stock up but I rarely throw things out. I would love to say I could eat our of my stash for a few months but I'm not sure we could. I do think having a good stocked pantry / freezer is important but I think we each need to consider what is right for our family. I admire woman who have this down. I hope to get there one day.
Tammyb
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  8:39:32 PM  Show Profile
We stock up most of the time. Since we live in the country it makes sense to limit the trips to town. I try to go once a week to get perishable items and once a month to Costco. Our pantry is usually well stocked and the freezer is full most of the time. We really need another freezer because our present one is kind of small and we need to leave room for a couple of bags of ice most of the time. I have a small dehydrater and like to use it. I doubt if we could make it three months on our supply though. We do have chickens, so the eggs never run out. Hmm... stockpiling? How long would one need to survive on the food they have on hand for it to be considered stockpiling?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  01:52:24 AM  Show Profile
My friend and I stockpile using coupons. I mostly get paper items and food items that I know I will use. She has a huge stockpile and will be having a sale in August to sell most of it. There are ladies that make $1000 and up in a weekend selling off their surplus of stuff. I just don't have the time right now but may do it in the future.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rusticcottage

Edited by - therusticcottage on Jun 19 2009 01:55:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile
What an interesting idea! We don't get many coupons in Canada and most of them are for foods or other products we don't use. In her book "Shop, Save and Share" Ellie Kay suggests this sort of idea, except she sort of tithes the items. She gives away a huge surplus of items to needy families. I think, I will try doing this too. We regularly give to the local Food Bank, but I like the idea of an even more regular contribution. It's just a matter of a little time and organization for me.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile
My friend also gives away a part of her stockpile to the local food bank. It's a great way to be able to donate to help others.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rusticcottage
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  3:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Now that is an awesome idea Kay!! I give regularly to our food bank, scouting for food, and the mail carriers food drive, but I hadn't thought about going ahead and getting those nearly free items with coupons that I normally wouldn't get and giving them to the food bank..hmm

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  12:25:07 AM  Show Profile
That is what I do Aunt Jenny. I try to keep it semi-nutritious.
I only get a few things, and don't try to clear the store out.
I also only get items that are almost free, or free.
I figure it is a win-win situation.

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Stockpiling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page