kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  05:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Last night when I went out to feed the chickens and put up the babies I noticed 1 of the chicks didn't come in. It was on the fence. They usually come running and go to their "rooms". And the mama didn't come either. The other 7 chicks went in and ate. I got the Buffs in their house and went back to the others. I noticed the mama was in but she was not being nice to the babies. They are almost bigger than her now and I guess she's trying to get them to be more independant from her. And I guess she just needs a break! So I left the door open a little and I see them out in the yard this morning. I guess they have grown up and mama knows it.

Now maybe she'll start laying eggs again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  1:30:12 PM  Show Profile
I didn't realize that mamas quit laying while they are raising their little ones. I figured they did while they set on a nest, but I didn't know while the chicks were little that they still didn't lay eggs! Good to know.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  2:58:24 PM  Show Profile
They are so busy raising their young and put all their energy into making sure the young are cared for that I guess their body stops producing eggs. Now the chicks are on their own and she can get back into the egg laying business. The chicks are over by the hen house and mama is with the other hens now. It's kind of sad. But I thought they would always hang out together.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mama's had enough! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page