kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  05:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Right now I would just love to take all my cats off somewhere and leave them. I do not like cats right now.

First thing this morning I go outside and there on the driveway is a poor little dead wild rabbit. Just plain ole dead. Not half eaten by starving wild animals but killed just for the fun of it by my good for nothing cats. There has been a wild rabbit out back now for a long time and every now and then I saw Gilbert chasing it. It always got away. So I wonder if it's that one.

And I didn't get it moved fast enough and poor little Kansas saw it and came in the house boo hooing for the poor thing. So now we'll have to have a funeral for a rabbit. I'll put it out in the garden so at least it will do some good there.

But right now I just HATE cats!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  05:58:51 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya, sister! Mine decided to "break out" in the middle of the night before last, and left open both the storm door and side kitchen door for the whole world to come in if they wanted...and then, because they weren't able to repeat the performance last night, someone decided to poop in the tub, and another one decided to start mewing loudly outside our door (and near the baby's door) at about 4 am for no reason at all...

I'm so sorry about the bunny, though, Kris...I hate that so much! You should replace your cats with our Lab, Elie...he brings baby bunnies (alive and unharmed) to you in his mouth but just as a gift, cuz that's the only way he can carry them. :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  06:01:54 AM  Show Profile
Kris

Sorry to hear of the cat issue - I trade you for my Mother's dog who came to live with me. Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Great Pry's but this Yappy little dog is in my house and worthless other then dropping tons of hair around my livingroom. I know what you mean sometimes you just wish them away. Chin up who knows there may be a fox out there just looking for a cat. Sorry that was mean....

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  06:12:40 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I'll pack them all up and send them now for a yappy dog! I have 3 of those right now but they don't kill anything. And I love Labs, Jonni. Mine is a mess but I love him. I really love all my critters but sometimes they are just plain BAD. I don't mind the rats or groung hogs but a poor little defenseless bunny. That's nit nice. And for the fun of it, too. I could see if they were starving and had to kill to eat, but there's always food out there for them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  08:19:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's really sad, but maybe the up side is that they have hunted out all the mice in your area?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  09:00:39 AM  Show Profile
That could be true, Alee. I haven't seen any mice in the house for a long time. So I guess they are after bigger game now. I see birds alot dead in the yard. When there is a sensitive 6 year old around, it's hard for her to see that. But that's life and she knows it. We just go bury them and she's fine later.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  4:44:33 PM  Show Profile
My cats do heartless things like that. I, too, do the funeral thing. I feed them (the cats) so much now that they don't hunt much anymore.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  7:38:55 PM  Show Profile
I just saw the bad cat, Gilbert, outside the chicken yard eyeing something. It better not have been my little bad roo that didn't want to go in with the others. So I called her and she came running into the cat room and I put out extra food. Maybe I'll try stuffing them with food then they might not need to kill needlessly.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  06:37:24 AM  Show Profile
Kris
Gilbert I know is just doing what comes natural but I with you - sometimes you just wished they would "GET IT"

I had a Great Pry named Jaws, he was so cleaver, he would leave just a few bits of his kibble in the bowl and then lay very still. When a bird, voil, skunk or whatever would come to get a piece here this huge dog would react just like an alligator and snap it up. It was quite impressive to watch. My Kasha another Great Pry has her way of getting birds - she just leaps into the air when they swoop down to get bugs. What I think is interesting it to date none of my pry's have gone after rabbits. Maybe it is because we raised them for so many years or because they know I would go nuts and start yelling at them if they did.

I am packing up the yappy dog as I type. The problem is we raised American Eskimo's and this dog is from our original pair but I train differently and expect different things. I keep trying to remind myself that given time but I also admit it has been years since I have had a dog in the house. Now I do bring in my Kasha (she is getting old and had some issues with the blizzards)but for a huge outside working dog she is less problems then this yappy little one. I guess I am getting crabby in my ways.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchetta
True Blue Farmgirl

318 Posts

carol
Marysville Wahington
USA
318 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  6:58:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kristin.....

Felt the same way last week when I found a baby rabbit (actually it was quite large)....I was glaring at my 3 barn cats when I noticed a dead field rat outside the barn door...then it was "good kitties" again! LOL

Yesterday my daughter and I were chatting when we noticed the cats playing with something...well, of course that something was a wee little mouse so we chased the cats away and caught the mouse in a large grain scoop. Luckily the sides were slippery and it kept sliding back to the bottom as I ran to the fence and chucked it into the neighbors pasture. We must have looked ridiculous screeching at the cats and screeching at the mouse as we sprinted around the yard!

http://curlywillowsranch.blogspot.com/
http://alteredshots.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  7:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I suspect your cats weren't killing the little rabbit for fun, it was more likely a gift for you (especially that it wasn't eaten) showing what good providers they are. From a human perspective it's not really appreciated but from a cat's perspective it's a pretty good present.

Our cats used to bring a myriad of "gifts" to the porch. Mice, moths, butterfiles...

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  7:06:48 PM  Show Profile
I know this doesn't happen all the time. But when it does it's sad. I love rabbits. And they are just doing what cats do. I still like the little buggars most of the time. I have 6 of them so I guess this is bound to happen especially when we live out in the country in the middle of hay fields.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cats. Argh!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page