Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  12:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Now that it's that time of year, how do you ladies plan your gardens each year, and how do you keep records to look back on? Recordkeeping hasn't been one of my strong points, and I'm looking to improve. Any pointers?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't record keep! lol
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile
That's probably the least time-and-fuss-consuming method! Neither did I, and now I can't remember a darn thing that worked last year except onions, leeks, carrots and zinnias!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2006 :  9:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Good point. I remember a few things that worked from a garden I had a few years ago- but I think that is because it was the first one I had in this area-- that reminds me- I need to start some carrots too... perhaps after this first batch in the mini green house is done and transplanted to pots. :)
Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  07:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Because I'm SO forgetful, I keep a small notpad from the past years. First it has the seeds bought for that season, dates I've started seeds,& dates they where transplanted to the gardens. I ALWAYS keep track of the weather at those points as well. I'm always amazed at how much I really have forgotten from the year before. I also keep track of all the flowers I've planted in my windowboxes and containers. If there are certain flower combinations that I really like...or if there was a problem with a certain plant...I jot that down. Sometimes I just love certain color combinations so I write those down. I like testing color combinations in my flowerpots before I plant them in the flower beds. I also do companion planting in the veg garden, so I always jot down what's with what..and IF it worked! LOL it sounds Like I do tons of writing, but I don't, maybe just a jot every couple of weeks. I love looking it over during the winter....keeps me sane! :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  09:45:13 AM  Show Profile
I keep a divided binder and do much the same as you Paula. If I don't write it down, it's long gone from memory by seed ordering time the next spring! I write down each variety of veggie I grow and where I purchased the seed. When I order for the following year, I know that the Giant Musselburg leeks far exceeded the Sheriff in size and flavor and the Big Beef tomatoes showed a good resistance to blight..unlike the Celebrity that keeled over and died. In the garden, it is very important that I rotate things as in our mild wet winters every bug, blight, fungus and rust known to man will overwinter. A rough map of my garden will help me make sure that the same things are planted in the same place the following year.
I too keep track of the weather, the date I see the first robins and swallows appear, and what is blooming at what time. It's also nice to read in early January when I can say..."hey, in ONLY four weeks the first asparagus will be peeking through!". Keeps that light at the end of the tunnel when the days are so dark and dreary.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
diane- what a great idea and anothe great way to get rid of cabin fever. I am just starting to plan my garden an your ideas are really appreciated. I have alot of asparagus what do I do with it- is there a special way to take care of it to get a high yeild? I am new to much of this as my garden has been small and not too varied, just tomatoes, peppers, onion herbs.
blessing
beth

A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself. Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz & Gilbertson are Dead"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  10:54:20 AM  Show Profile
Beth you can never have too much asparagus! Well..I can say that now..ask me again how I feel about it in June...lol. Asparagus is super easy...cut it down to the ground in the fall and load on the manure and compost. I don't know your growing season, but here we harvest almost all of it until mid June, then let the remaining spears that appear grow into "bushes" to replenish the roots for the following year. One problem that showed up last year was asparagus beetles...no idea how the buggers found us out here in the middle of nowhere..and I can't find any organic non-toxic method of controlling them yet. Anyone have any ideas??
Don't be afraid to try new things...the only thing you have to lose is an inexpensive packet of seed. I'm sure I've tried just about everything at some point or another...some worked, some didn't. But it's always enjoyable and the bonus is those things that do work. I even find some years I can grow something great and the next year it's a bust.
Oh boy...I can't wait to get outside in my garden again and taste that first, sun-warmed tomato right off the vine!
Diane

Go to Top of Page

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  11:41:59 AM  Show Profile
OH.........fresh asparagus!!! I haven't had that since we lived in Idaho! We'd go along the diches in Spring and pick it. It's grows wild there! NEVER liked it till I did have fresh!! i think it's considered a weed? Am I right??

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  11:47:07 AM  Show Profile
I try to keep records and plans from each year, but I always take pictures for sure! These are a great help in planning and for remembering what I planted where and when and if I like that bed or if it needs changing. I can't wait for spring and fresh produce and flowers!

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  9:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a journal that I have written in since 1994. I write what I plant and where I got it. What worked and what didn't. It is always concise, but clear so I have now trouble remembering things year to year. It is fun to go back and read how my gardneing "prowess" (ha) has changed over the years.
When I was out cleaning up the asparagus bed I notices one green "nose" poking up at me. Whoo hoo! Can't wait for those little spears on my plate!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  04:47:42 AM  Show Profile
One year I kept an excellent journal but that was before kids. I now keep a calendar. On a big calendar I write down when I start things and when things come up and when I begin harvest. I do this for all the vegetables. I even sit down at the beginning of the season and write on the calendar when I should plant second and third plantings of vegetables . I have this calendar where i can see it all the time and can easily jot down things. Using a lot less words and not haveing to write down dates saves time.
I usually do seed orders on the web so I copy the order and save it for reference . As well as at least one of each kind last years empty seed packets for info.
I have found I always keep great records in the spring but by summer when everyhing is coming in and I am going to 2 markets a week I don't have time for much But I can jot down a couple words on the calendar hanging in my kitchen.

We made 30 new permanant beds last year. I drew off a map of the beds and numbered them . I tried to plan what would be planted where and would list "bed 1 Arugala" etc . I keep this on a clip board that can go out in the garden with me while I am planting.

The Garlic I take more seriously and do keep better records. We save our own seed and I need to have good records to make sure I don't sell too much of our seed stock . Also we are usually trialing new kinds and it takes 3 years to usually get adjusted to our soil so I keep notes on yeilds size etc. I do all of this in one spiral notebook.

And finally I too keep records by taking pictures. Great with a digital camera that dates you pictures.
I make a photo album with our pictures so our "city" customers can see how and when things grow!
The garlic lady

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/

Edited by - garliclady on Feb 14 2006 04:57:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  05:24:29 AM  Show Profile
I was given a garden journal as a gift, and have used it for three years now. I jot when I plant, what I plant and where I plant, with maybe a note on the weather. It is fun to read back and see the cycles of the garden and the differences in weather. Looking in the journal, I see for the last two years, I have put sugar snap seed in the ground right about now. Today, it is 27 degrees and we have heavy frost.....I think I will wait a week or so! I do not make it fancy, or time consuming, but I put the date and then an entry for what I did that day and the status of what is growing. The entries are every two or three months apart usually, unless something happens that I want to record. I never would have done it if I had not received that gift!

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2006 :  09:08:13 AM  Show Profile
WOW! There are some great ideas out there, and I'm inspired to become a much better record-keeper. The calendar method is the one I'm going to try this year, as I have a little extra going on on the homefront - new babe, etc. - I so love the idea of being able to go back to the previous years to check on weather, planting times, successful and not-so-successful plants, etc. You ladies are amazing!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Planning - Recordkeeping Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page