Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Been a bit of a trying couple of weeks...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Been a bit of a trying couple of weeks... Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  05:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I'm asking for you good vibes, gals, because I'm doing my best to not feel discouraged, but the feeling sneaks in every now and again, and it kept me up all night last night...

Money is real tight right now...we've had some major car repairs last week ($600+)for breaks, rotors, a tie-rod and allignment, and now, our main plumbing line inside the house is backing up, causing all the water to stand in the tub, the toilet won't flush, and sewage gas is seeping up through the washer hoses. My husband and his father rented a large mechanized snake last night to fix it, but to no avail....so we'll need to call a plumber, and last time it was $250.00. Sometimes I feel like our little old house is retaliating against us for something!

We've been trying to budget, but there is simply no way to when we keep having these large chunks of money to dish out...there isn't anyway to "save" for an emergency fund, so it's coming right out of our bills and income. Frustrating for me, since I'm on this saving/budgeting bandwagon.

So, I'm asking for good vibes--and some prayers that we can get on a budget by the end of the month. I'm really tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I know lots of folks are in the same boat, but I'm sooooo over it!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni
I recently have been hearing some spots on local radio for the Greater Cinci MSD, talking about how if you have raw sewage back up that they will come out & check it out for you. It may be something with the public sewer lines. (I'm assuming you have public sewer since you are in city limits) Anyway, it may at least be a starting point that would not cost you any money, if KY has a similar service.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  10:44:14 AM  Show Profile
You'll be in my prayers Jonni. Hang in there.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile
Old houses always seem to have a few problems that rear their ugly heads just when you have enough stuff going on. Cars! I love my car when it works and get really annoyed when I have problems with it. When I moved into this house, it is an old cape cod style farmhouse, it was starting to crumble in certain areas. My mother had been very ill the last few years of her life and just couln't deal with any of the house decrepitudes (I don't think that is a word but it should be for this house)> My mother left me this house and when my kids and I first moved in i thought it was pretty drafty in the kitchen. I was trying to put a storm window down and my hand went right through the sill to the great outdoors. Every window in this house should be replaced, the insulation is a joke, but at the moment these things can't be helped. I have had the ell to the barn 0pulled down and replaced and the barn roof fixed and the chimney fixed...oh these domiciles of ours.

I feel for you. aren't you and Justin lucky to have the best distraction in the universe, Violet. It is hard to be worrying about so many things, expecially when they have to be dealt with soon, now rather than later. Good luck kiddo.

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  2:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, I feel for you. My truck has been costing me a lot lately but having no payment, I keep telling myself "no payment" so I trudge on with it.

Hope the house gets to "flowing" again. Nothing like plumbing issues to spoil everything. I remember one year living in an old farmhouse our septic went belly up on Thanksgiving day while we had a house full of company. Nothing like having your company outside helping you dig searching for the septic tank on a holiday. Hang in there girl.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  3:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I feel for you too, we had frozen pipes this winter and were with out plumbing for several days. I too hope everything flows smoothly soon and costs less than anticipated...Wishing you luck and sending happy house vibes!

Vi will keep you smiling through the ordeal
*hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  06:03:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much, girls...I really needed to see this encouragement this morning. It's a very grey, rainy day, and both Jus and I are starting to break a little under pressure--you know what that means, "pick pick pick" on just about everything each other does! Violet does, thankfully, give some comedic relief in all this, and that sweet child's laugh could make a monster melt.

Karin, I like that term, "decrepitude"...I think I will actually have it painted on a little wooden sign and hang it in the kitchen. Your place sounds very much like mine, and well, things just have to wait. I think everyday, that it could be much worse. We could have no where to go, or worse still, live in my mother's basement!!!!

Jami, you're right with the "no payment" mantra. It's the same for us, and I do love that little car--never a more loyal automobile. But you do sometimes think, "what did I ever do to you???" when they stop working! Ugh...I'm trying not to laugh about the Thanksgiving septic issue...that is terrible. Housefull of folks and noone can use the potty :) Friday is our magic day--payday, you know, and the day I'll call the plumber. Might as well just give in to the cost now...

Annika, I remember your frozen pipes. That can be the most frustrating thing ever--thank you for the happy house vibes!

You girls rock!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  10:06:09 AM  Show Profile
When it rains, it pours! I think everyone has months, or years like these so just keep reminding yourself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is hard to get going on a budget when such big things are looming. So just try working on what you can now (such as cutting down the food budget) and work on the bigger budget later.
Last year we had things happen one right after another. At the beginning of the year we spent $2,500 on remodeling our tiny bathroom because we figured we had a little extra so why not? Then our van needed $1,200 in repairs, we had to replace hubby's work car but were lucky to find a reliable vehicle for $1,500. Then hubby had to have a root canal and crown so there went $1,000-$1,500 (don't remember how much it was exactly...I'm still in shock). Then we needed a new roof!! So it was an expensive year! This year started our much the same with more van repairs and car repairs but so far everything else is okay (knock on wood). Sometimes you just can't win and I know how frustrating it is! Keep your chin up, this too shall pass!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Been a bit of a trying couple of weeks... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page