Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 etsy advice from those that have been there, done
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic etsy advice from those that have been there, done Next Topic  

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
that!
i know many of you have an etsy shop and wonder if you could give any advice about what you like, what you would do differently etc.
i am exploring the world of etsy, cause i do love to craft and i like selling my crafts, but i know that my days of mass producing or anything like that are just a memory. so i have wondered if selling on etsy might do the trick for me. i would also be selling vintage items as we are down scaling here. i think i am giving up dusting as a hobby, i was never very good at it anyway.
hope you have some good tips for me.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  5:12:43 PM  Show Profile
You have to take GREAT pictures and you need to list DAILY if you plan to sell anything. Otherwise you get lost in the shuffle. It's a full time job!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  7:01:42 PM  Show Profile
I like Etsy...it works for me..but honestly it isn't a big money thing. It always seems to bring in the little bit I need when I need it though. It is VERY cheap and very easy to set up and try...I dont' think you would be out much by trying. Be sure to let us all know if you post some things for sale!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  8:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks aunt jenny and julie,
i think my idea is to just bring in a little money and keep me crafting.
i just needed to know if folks had any big pros or cons that they have discovered and i think, aunt jenny that it sounds like there is the potential for it to work out to whatever you want it to be. that sounds good to me.
i am in the middle of setting up the site now so as soon as i get it posted i will let ya know here.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  07:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,
The things you make are way above average! If you mix the things you make with the things you don't want to dust I think you will do really good.I know I for one will be looking to see what you are selling.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  2:12:53 PM  Show Profile
One piece of advice is DONT undersell yourself. Really think about what your product is worth and charge that price. It is easier to lower prices if needed then to raise prices if you dont break even. Also I find people are more willing to pay more for the product if they get "free shipping". I found if I charged $10.00 for and item and offered free shipping I got more sales than if I had an item for $7.00 and had $3.00 shipping! I know it seems crazy but people work that way. I also offered specials to people who purchased more than one item.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  6:02:13 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the encouragement and great advice.
this is exactly what i am talking about. i need to hear not to undercharge and that people will still buy my items, and i havent figured out the free shipping deal cause shipping from here cost alot!
do you just use the flat rate shipping. what about insuring items, do you do that?

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  07:40:55 AM  Show Profile
Frannie,

I saw the felted horse you made Nancy Jo. It is adorable! great work :) I was wondering if you could make a cow? Thanks :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mandymcar
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Mandy
Montana
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  07:54:59 AM  Show Profile
I seem to sell things when I list a bunch then forget about it for a while and let it stew so to speak.

Good luck,

Mandy

www.haystackstudio.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile
Fran - it depends on what you are shipping on how you want to send it. I did ipod cover for s long time that could easily be shipped in an envelope. So when I figured in cost of envelopes, stamps and trip to the post office I was around $1.00 per item. For larger items I would guess as best as I could. If I knew it would fit in a flat rate I would do that but mostly I used padded envelopes.

I think delivery confirmation at a minimus is a MUST!!! I made a sale on etsy around christmas and the girl sent me an email saying she had received the items. About a week later I got a message from etsy saying they were investigating why I hadnt shipped the items. The girl was for some reason now claiming that she had received an empty box from me. Fortunatly I had the delivery confirmation receipt along with the email when she thanked me for the "beautiful bracelet". It was all taken care of and she ended up having her etsy account closed. It was a mess though. Delivery confirmation covers you in the event that something strange like that happens. Insurance isnt really necessary unless the item is over a certain value. I think delivery confirmation will cover up to 50$ if you can prove what you sent. A printout of your sales slip would suffice.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  9:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks, julie for the great advice!
i knoe i will refer back to it as time goes on.
i do not currently make a cow sharon, but i may look into it. i have made in the past girafees, horses , pigs, etc. i will try to post some pics here of ones i made in the past.

love
frannie in texas
home of "green"crafts,

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  10:33:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Frannie :) My husband likes pigs so if I could see a picture of one (if you have one) that would be great :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic etsy advice from those that have been there, done Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page