kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  05:48:50 AM  Show Profile
MIA hen found! I just knew she was taken up by some awful hawk. She's been missing a few days and I told the SIL this morning and he said she's probably laying on a nest of eggs somewhere. And sure nuf, I looked out in the goat barn under that old shelf thing and there she is pretty as ever. There can't be but maybe 6 eggs at the most under her. I did find a nest of eggs out there last week and keep checking them to gather them. The other day I saw the darker hen go back under there and saw an egg in another spot. When I went to go get the eggs they were gone. I bent down to look up under further and saw something back in there and got scared and ran out! So it must have been her now that I think about it. There's no telling what's out there right next to a hay field. But it turned out to be her.

My other 8 chickies are doing great with their momma protecting them. She's doing a great job even with them being 2 monthes old now. They still follow her all over.

I opened the door of the stall this morning to let the Buff chicks out. Most of them jumped up and sat on the doorway for awhile and went back in. The little roo still has not come out yet. They are so darn cute! I just love their little pink colored combs and his is the prettiest.

I hope everyone else is having good luck with all the babes out there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:14:22 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I let my babies out yesterday for the first time, They were a bit nervous, but had fun pecking around, I have to keep a close eye on them while they are out, I must keep the Lab in check at all times! One of the chicks came over to my foot and began pecking, I said ow! and my Lab lurched for the chick!! I am trying to let her get used to them as pets so she won't "EAT" them!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:24:42 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, she will probably just chase them all over. That's what mine does. He really only bothers them when we come home and there are any on the driveway. He chases them all back in. But the other day he actually had a hen on the ground. I hollered at him and he let her go. He just gets too exited when he sees anyone come up the driveway and that's the only time he does that.

I hope your chicks have a good time out there in the big world! When I let the momma and babies out they go straight for the grass. I love to hear that sound.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:54:15 AM  Show Profile
Me too! I wish I had a mama hen, right now they follow me like I'm their mother!! I love farm life!
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile
I am so happy to hear all is good with the babies. I wish I had a momma hen too. I thought I was gonna get lucky when one of my girls started sitting. The other day I found the hens busting the eggs. Oh man talk about frustrating. Well maybe one day. I am still hatching so that gives me lots of fuzzies to cuddle. And it feeds my fowl obsession (pun intended)....LOL. I am so excited for your little roo. I know you were wanting a roo from that bunch. I'd love to see pics. When I get a chance I will get some up of my new babies.

This month is looking up. Last month it was one thing after another. After I had Sasha put down, I was bit by a black widow. Well, that put me in the hospital for a few days, but left my leg to hurt for a few more weeks. While I was in the hospital it left my DH to tend to the animals. Well needless to say I came home to alot of missing chickens. I lost all my Bantam Barred Rocks, my Mille Fluer D'uccle and some of my Welsummers. Oh and I had turkeys, ducks, and geese in the bator. I could have killed him. He means well but isn't allowed to take care of the animals anymore.
Congrats on all your babies! I know they are having a blast in the grass. I bring mine clumps of grass into the brooder and it's so funny to watch. It makes for a good nap after playing king of the clump...LOL

Have a good day :)

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  08:29:40 AM  Show Profile
Ouch, Christina! I have only seen one BW spider and it's dead now. I can't imagine being bitten by one of them. I am glad you are better. And my hubby would do the same thing. They are just by nature killers, aren't they? It's in the genes. Mine can't be left alone with the weed whacker, either! Way too dangerous.

I am so sorry all those babies were lost. That's why I don't like going away and leaving someone elso to take care of my babies. Last time I went away 2 ducks were killed.

Good luck on all your neww babes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Here we go again... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page