Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salad Tables Next Topic  

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  1:16:39 PM  Show Profile
I finally got a salad table built and liked it so much I built a second!!

They are about 4ft x 2ft and made of thick lumber with harware mesh stapled to the bottom. I spread newspaper in the bottom then covered it with shredded paper that I get at an office where I clean. I covered that with soil from my garden, mixed with soil from my compost heap as well as ashes from the woodstove and some sawdust. I planted several different types of lettuces as well as mesclun mix, radishes, two tomatoes, violas, pansies, beets, onions, cress, and some other small veggies. I put them tight together so I'm hoping we don't get too crowded.

For those of you planning on trying this...be forewarned that they need water EVERY DAY! They tend to dry out (mine are on a south facing porch area and get full sun). I also wish that I had added some sort of support across the bottom. DH will be helping me remedy this as they are sagging sadly in the middle and we are afraid the staples will pop and I'll be crying! But they are HEAVY when full so it would be easier to do this during the building phase or when you set it up. I planned to use sawhorses which would have alleviated the need for supports, but didn't have any (where does stuff go???) so I placed round logs under each corner of the table to bring it up off the ground. This works beatifully, but left the underneath unsupported.

All in all, however, I am soooo very pleased with my tables....I have little plants popping up already and can't wait to pick a salad!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  9:39:15 PM  Show Profile
Your salad tables sound really neat. I have three i made from old drawers. everything is growing OK but something has been nibbling my spinach and mesclun mix. I recently bought some "food tents" at the dollar store and put them over my greens and I clipped them on with some mini clamps. Seems to be working so far, I hope. I've had three salads so far and will probably have one tomorrow. I bought an old wooden antique ladder and put my boxes on it, it's supported by two outdoor plastic chairs. They do require watering daily but we've had enough rain here that it hasn't been a problem. I hope you get enough for a salad soon. I let my greens grow a few inches, then cut them with a small pair of scissors. Good luck and good eating!
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Salad Tables Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page