Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Little kids and needle arts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Little kids and needle arts Next Topic  

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  10:20:25 AM  Show Profile
I am pretty excited! Tommorrow our 4-H girls are having a summer workshop. We have 8 little girls from 8 thru 13 signed up for basic embroidery, toothbrush rag rugs, and then a $15 challenge at goodwill. Should be such fun! Today I have to finish the 8 toothbrush needles. DH found 5 to a pack for $@pack at Dollar Tree. Cool.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  7:32:57 PM  Show Profile
That's great Judith - I wish I had been able to be in 4H when I was a kid. My second cousins in North Dakota were and I remember being envious. Hope it is a good time!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  9:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amy Grace. I never belonged either. But, I'm learning so much now along with the grandkids.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  12:49:17 AM  Show Profile
How fun! I love it when kids learn traditional crafts..sometimes it takes a few to find the one they love the best. Embroidery is my favorite to teach kids.
They will have a great time. Will they get to enter their "results" in the county fair?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Yes, they will enter into the North Iowa Fair. First they will make posters, then do the crafts. Then they will go to Goodwill. There they pull together a complete outfit for under $15. I'll bet they can do it for much less! That is the part they are really excited about. They can enter all of this in the fair. I am so glad 4-H is trying to involve the town kids even more. So many better things to do than "hanging out at the mall". (and, I'll do about anything to support the needle/home arts.)

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  12:48:19 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful thing you are doing. I bet those girls are going to remember this experience forever. I always remember when a neighbor of ours taught me how to knit and crochet when I was young. The goodwill challenge is great too, creative thrifty ideas are always a good preparation for growing up'''

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  09:10:19 AM  Show Profile
Just a follow-up on our summer workshop...We ended up with 10 girls..2 originally signed up and didn't show..but four more did come. About half were really particular about their embroidery, and probably did better than I do..and about half were frustrated. But they all left with dishtowels and patterns, thread and needles. My own dg was frustrated. I think she thought I would sit by her the whole time. Toothbrush rugs went better. The only one truly frustrated was dg. Bless her little heart for patience! They all went home with toothbrush needles and extra strips of fabric to continue. One of dg's friends did so well (she was 13)even bought a sheet at thrift store to finish hers. She loved doing the rug. My dg excelled at thrift store shopping! Each of the girls went home with complete outfits for under $7.50. They were so proud! What a great day! It took me a couple of days to get over the exhuberance of the young ladies. This old granny needs to do this more often.

Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  10:41:24 AM  Show Profile
My kids are in 4-H and it is such a good thing for them. The workshops we have are so great. Coming up this month is a cake decorating workshop and then next month is a basketmaking workshop. I usually join in on that one! Hope your kiddos have a great time! Tammy

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2009 :  2:53:19 PM  Show Profile
Those workshops sound like such fun, Tammy! I'd like to try basketmaking too. The kids are really so proud when they learn these things.

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Little kids and needle arts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page