abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile
Hey Girls, My MIL is having a flea issue with one of her dogs. The poor dog is actually alergic to those darn fleas too which makes this situation especially upsetting. I was wondering if you had a safe, sure fire way of treating your yards for these buggers. Cost is an issue so inexpensive ways would be appreciated. I've heard of using diatomaceous earth but we're into our rainy season and getting storms almost daily so that's not going to work. I read on a website about spraying your lawn with soap water but it doesn't give any advice on measurements in a hose end sprayer. I don't want her lawn to die but she doesn't want everyone to get ate up either. Thanks.

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  11:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm not sure of the best way to do that - fleas don't like Tansy - can she grow a LOT of that? I wonder if it's possible to rub the tansy leaves on the dog too, if that would work as a deterrent. One of my dogs gets super itchy with fleas. We use frontline as sparingly as possible because I have concerns about health effects on them and us, but when flea season is in full swing we haven't found anything better.
Go to Top of Page

happydaze
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

lorraine
atlanta ni
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2009 :  06:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Dont like to do it,but we use frontline also, I'm allergic to fleas bites, and we have 5 dogs and 6 cats.so wouldnt take long for an infestation to really get going strong. also rub peppermint leaves on the animals, it may help, and animals smell good!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Try useing bounce fabric softener sheets, rub your pets down with them, keeps away fleas, skeets and biteing flies, works on humans also. Also give brewers yeast to your pets, that works also

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

abigailc1973
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

abigail
orlando fl
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  11:12:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips, ladies. I'll be sure to pass this on to her. I knew you girls could steer me in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  11:27:46 AM  Show Profile
I use Diatomaceous Earth. Or Red Lake Earth. Basically the same thing. Theres pro's and con's but I I love it for the dogs and the chickens.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic what's your flea remedy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page