kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  06:42:25 AM  Show Profile
One of my little Buff chicks has been just standing around with her head down in her shoulders like she has no neck. I had a hen do that before and she died not long after. What is that and what causes it? Is there anything to do for it? She's just pitiful.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  07:14:00 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I have never seen that! It would be difficult to know what to do, either let nature take its course, or go ahead and put her out of her misery. I know whatever you do, it will be what you thought was best.
I am sorry.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  08:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, is her poo ok? Crazy question I know but it could be cocci. Another possibility is wry neck. If that's the case she needs vitamin e. Is she eating and drinking ok? I had a wry neck bantam that's head would hang so low it threw him into somersaults. After alot of vitamins he pulled through. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't think she's eating because when I go to feed them she just stands in one place unlike the other pig chicks who rush to see who can get there the fastest. I hate to put her all by herself. I have vitamin e gel caps. Would that work to put in their water? Or will electrolytes work?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Yes to both in the water. Also you can make a wet mash and syringe feed or feed with an eyedropper. Is her crop full? Is it hard or soft? How old is she?

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile
Well, I just went out to check on the chicks and I didn't see her. So she's either disappeared or gotten better. I hope she's gotten better. So I gave them all fresh water with electrolytes in all the waterers. I don't think it will hurt to do that for all the chickens right now.

I think I will let the Buff chicks out maybe tomorrow. Some of them do get out and they haven't been bothered yet. They come right to me so I can put them back in to eat. They are so cute when they're little. And so depending on me right now.

Thanks for your help. Christina. Sometimes I just don't know what to do and I know someone here will help me figure it out. That's what I like so much about this place.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  12:05:05 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome. I hope the best for your little guy. HUGS

Christina

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chick with no neck Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page