Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Re enactment business Next Topic  

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:41:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Farmgirls, I need some imput from you. I know we have some farmgirls out there that are involved with different re enactment groups.

I have been thinking of starting a business that makes historically correct re enactment clothing, but taking it a step farther and working with the client to actually develop a "persona" customized to that particular persons tastes, likes, etc. It is one business that I could combine my love of history with my penchant for detail. What do y'all think? Oh, do you think the recession would make this a frivlous business?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  06:15:35 AM  Show Profile
I do alot of costumes for Ren. Fest. It is a difficult thing to do to make period costumes. Sometimes fabrics are hard to find and sometimes people are very hard to fit. It is alot of fun but it is also alot of work. The sewing techniques are often different than what we are use to and those corsets and petticoats take alot of time if they are historically correct. You would need to decide how much you would need to make and often people are not willing to pay for your time. But once again it is way fun.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  06:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Beth, I appreciate your advice. I would probably lean toward the civil war/revolution/mountain man re enactments, but It's just an idea at this point.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  08:16:38 AM  Show Profile
Teresa sue, try the waters. Maybe deciding on one project would give you enough backbone about it, if you want to do it for good. And you would know for sure how much of your time, money, skills it involves. Then you can truly decide what you want to do. Go and follow your dreams, it is so important to be happy doing what we like.
Hugs,
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  05:45:22 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, Maybe if you attend a few of the fairs and "see" what is selling, talk to the folks that do the re-enacting to see where they purchase their items etc. Then maybe, you could make up a few items available for sale at one of the scheduled events and start a mailing list for folks that my be interested in ordering from you. ( sometimes having a ready made item and then offering a service for a custom fitted outfit could get your foot in the door. . . so to speak )

Whatever you do, please keep your dream alive and remember this: " You need to have a dream for a dream to come true! " Wishing you all the success in your new venture!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

gateway girl
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Shari
Missouri
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  8:52:34 PM  Show Profile
Theresa Sue, I think it is a wonderful idea! My husband and I do French and Indian War re-enactments. When we were first starting out, I would have loved to find someone that could help me get my persona outfitted. Instead I had to rely on alot of different people and web forums to get the correct clothing and spent a small fortune on things I really didn't need or weren't period correct before I finally got several correct outfits to wear for events. I say "go for it!" Follow your idea and good luck!

Shari

Life is a chain of moments of enjoyment, it's not just about survival. Live every second to it's fullest!

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for all your encouragement girls, I really appreciate it. I still don't know if I'm going to do this, but I appreciate your input.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:20:24 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, if the reenactors on your coast are anything like the ones around these parts, they'll buy just about anything to keep them "original"...it's BIG business around here, and some of the fellas we know (executives, professionals, etc..) spend buku bucks on their gear and love doing it. The last reenactment we attended (merely as spectators, though my husband caught the bug and for about 2 months that's all I heard about) was Perryville, Kentucky (near Harrodsburg and Bardstown) and there were like, 2-3 outfitters who sold clothing and gear, but it seemed a bit campy to me--they had nice things, but it seemed mass manufactured. If you can market it just right, and play it to the hilt (dress up yourself, and become your own character to draw them in to see your fine product), I think you'd be in business.

Even in this recession, people's hobby's and entertainment is going strong...folks have to have an outlet.

We talked to one guy, who was a lawyer in "real life" but played the surgeon, and also made these GLORIOUS wood field boxes to sell, and he said he spent initially, just to get gear and everything to be historically accurate about $15,000.00, and goes to about 5-10 large reenactments a year and buys new things each time.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  11:28:37 AM  Show Profile
I just did a search for "historical re-enactment societies" on Google and got pages and pages of results. Maybe you can start there...finding out costs, events, etc.?

If you can make a WWII officer's uniform to fit my giant of a father, I might know where you can get your first client! He's already had to alter the steering wheel on his Jeep so he could fit behind it, and he has had no luck finding a good-quality replica. Apparently, they make fellas bigger than they used to!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Edited by - JessieMae on Jun 09 2009 11:32:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  1:39:41 PM  Show Profile
I live smack-dab in the middle of Civil War country, and we have lots of re-enactors here. I'm a professional graphics person and do a lot of design work for two museums. Point is, I'm pretty familiar with the whole community of "Civil War nuts" (they call themselves that) and from what I've seen, they're either pretty well-off, or find a way to buy the very best clothing and accessories for their avocation -- it's much more than just a hobby. They really appreciate authentic materials and workmanship and will pay for it -- they take good care of their outfits and will use them for many years, so I guess they consider it an investment.

I'm pretty sure you could make a "go" of this if you market your historical integrity to the hilt, and cut no corners on being as authentic as it's humanly possible to be in 2009. I love Jonni's idea of creating your own persona (tailor, seamstress, dry goods retailer, whatever works for you!) and using the way you dress yourself to show off the quality of your work. It would be fun if you could have, as part of your ensemble, a pinned-together work in progress using some sort of vintage-looking pins, antique pincushion or scissors, and so on. I'll bet anything there's somebody out there producing good reproductions if you can't acquire usable antiques!

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  3:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
WOW! I have to tell you Farmgirls, you are getting me rather excited about pursuing this, thankyou, thankyou for your input!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile
I love your idea! I'm a civil war reenactor and we are always searching for period-correct items. Let me know when you start, I'll be a customer!

Caron

"Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation".
Farmgirl Sister #254
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  2:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I used to go to alot of fairs, the scottish games, old time reinactments, etc, the booth's that sold the clothes had a lot of business. Make sure you have lots of business cards phot books with some of your past work to give people ides anyway, lots of stuff to sell if you do them!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Pinkyatmoosehollowfarm
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Josephine
Albany New Hampshire
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:19:47 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, I've also considered this as a business. I so sewing for people and their homes. I've thought about join SCA who do Medieval Fairs and gatherings. A friend of mine says the menfolk are especially happy to find someone to sew for them. I think it would be a great way to mix my love of history, genealogy, and costume design. I have a degree in Fashion design. I have my family tree documented and published back to Charlemagne (AD 810)

I say go for it girlfriend!

Josephine/Pinky
The Sewing Room at Moose Hollow Farm

Pink is not just a color...it's an attitude!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  08:32:02 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, I wouldn't worry too much about the business being frivolous. If you start doing it now, you know it can only pick up as the economy improves. And of course, you wouldn't start relying on it too much for income until it was well established anyway.

I like the idea personally. People are not any less busy than they used to be, and I think they would pay a reasonable fee for research and consultation.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I want to thank all of you for your responses. I feel a lot of gratitude for all your ideas and your support, you'all ROCK!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Re enactment business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page