laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1680 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1680 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  08:20:56 AM  Show Profile
My name is Laurie, and I just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just got my first issue of MaryJanesFarm and I love all the articles and ideas. My husband and I live out in the country just inland off the gulf coast of Texas. We own a pecan orchard. Have raised chickens. When my children were growing up they just loved the outdoors learning about chores and the responsibility of taking care of what we own. To this day my children still help us and they along with my grandaughter love the outdoors. I also like to do might near everything from scratch. Baking breads, making jams and canning what I grow in my vegetable garden. I also enjoy my flower beds. Heres to everyone who does'nt mind a little hard work and the outdoors.

suburban countrygirl at heart

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  09:17:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the forum, Laurie! It sounds like you have a great little spot there! A Pecan orchard! Yum! I love Pecans!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laurie, welcome. We have a pecan orchard, well one tree. But it is a Texas pecan. We brought home a bunch of the big papershell pecans and finally got one tree to live and grow. It produced nuts for the first time last year but they were wormie. I am sure there is a way to keep the bugs and worms away, but we haven't found it yet. Any suggestions?

I too grow a big vegetable garden and can, make pickles and jams. Freeze a lot too. I make most everything from scratch too. Make a lot of bread but with the help of a bread machine. We have a bunch of chickens, kids, grandkids and 4 great grand babies.

Looking forward to a lot of posts from you.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  1:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Hey Laurie. Welcome from Ga. I also have 1 pacan tree here. I didn't know it was a pecan tree til I found some pecans on the ground and started looking for the tree. So now I want a few more. How long do they take to produce nuts? We cut down a bunch of cedars so we have room for a few trees.

You sound just like all of us with the gardens and bread and scratch cooking. So glad to have you join us here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1680 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1680 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Here's some of my suggestions on growing pecan trees. Sometimes army worms get onto the branches and leaves. When this happens we have smoked them out. By putting a smoke pot around the trees. We also use an natural fertlizer (when we clean out the chicken coop it makes a great fertlizer and you can add it to your compost and use it that way. It does take years for a pecan tree to develop and produce this takes a lot of TLC. Which all of us girls have to have. You can also graft onto one pecan tree to another.

lol Laurie
patience is a virture

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  2:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laurie. I have plenty of chicken poop now. When's the best time to plant them? And I guess there are different varieties that are best for different climates?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hello to everyone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page