Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Magazine Feedback
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Magazine Feedback Next Topic  

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  3:27:27 PM  Show Profile

I am only half way through the Plum Easy issue and have fallen in love, again, with the magazine.

I was quite upset by an issue that came out in the fall of last year. I have purposely lost that magazine issue somewhere in the house and I hope I don't ever find it. All I can remember from it was some horrible story about a runner and someone dying and page after page of grief. This haunts me still. I don't recollect any farmgirl spunk or "can do" articles, if there were any. I had picked up two copies of that magazine on my way to a meeting and gave one to my secret sister, though I hadn't looked at yet myself, thinking that it would have wonderful articles and craft projects, like usual. I was mortified to see what was in it later in the day when I looked at my copy and had to make peace with my secret sister to tell her it wasn't at all what I had intended.

I don't mind an occasional article that deals with trouble, we all have some, but I think magazines, and especially a "farmgirl" magazine, should help us make sense of life.

Anyway, I decided to take a deep breath and try the magazine again this month and hope that I would be blessed with inspiring women... and what a delight this issue is.

Thank you to all who put in long hours to give us something that brings so much joy. I am glad I tried it again.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Wow. It is so amazing how two farmgirls can read the same thing and come away with two very different opinions. I too read "The Runner" in the Lady Slipper issue and every page between the covers. I really love the article on page 20-21 by a wonderful up and coming writer with a great sense of humor and tons of talent... Oh wait, that is MY article :)... LOL so let’s move onto page 45... Truly you didn’t want to jump into that scene? I could smell the flowers and stroll down each path admiring the view? And for "How To's" the "reboot" stuff is amazing... I have been buying up boots at yard sales and the like ever since. Grow a Moss house on page 74... Come ON...there are NO old windows safe when I am around, anymore... between these and cold frames.....How to open a B & B on page 80....Eat safe.. Eat organic on page 83... Several amazing recipes, and to finish it all off farm Romance..............................We have got to be talking about 2 different issues, right? I hope that you find your lost issue and give it another look.

We wouldn’t be true farmgirls if we didn't spend some time dealing with the "harder issues" of life. What is the purpose of being a group of women who know how to "plow thru" if we never have to... well Plow thru. Life throws us big hurts.....things that can suck us in and spit us out. We could choose to ignore those things and paint life as a Rockwell painting...........but we choose not to. We know where we came from and what we came through to get here and that is worth celebrating, at least to this farmgirl...

Love you Elizabeth... Now go find the copy of Lady Slipper... sit down with some tea... and call me! I'll walk ya thru it.... :) LOL. So proud of you for grabbing hold of the "plum easy" issue.. Awesome!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello Lizabeth.
I'm glad you have picked up our magazine again and are enjoying it. I feel that I must reply to your comments, though, about our Ladyslipper (Oct-Nov) issue. I design the magazines here at the farm and I must say that this is my favorite issue so far. And just like all of our issues, it's full of beautiful photos, inspiring stories, nostalgic crafts, and farmgirl recipes. You commented:
"All I can remember from it was some horrible story about a runner and someone dying and page after page of grief. This haunts me still. I don't recollect any farmgirl spunk or "can do" articles, if there were any."

The article you mention is one of our reader stories in the Keeping in Touch section called "The Runner" by Ryan Law. Our bookkeeper at the time, Sunny, had met Ryan in a local writing class, and Ryan told Sunny about her daugher, Emmie, who was killed while running. When Ryan heard where Sunny worked, she revealed that her daughter had always wanted to be a published writer, and asked if she could write a story for our magazine about her daughter and include one of her daughter's unpublished poems. Of course, we said we would love her to write an article, and while I agree that the article is sad, it's a beautifully written article and includes a beautiful poem from Emmie, who now attained her dream of being a published writer.

In addition to this 4-page article, the Keeping in Touch section also includes a 4-page lighthearted, witty story about wearing high heels, a short piece about ladyslipper flowers, a short piece about an elderly roadside vegetable salesman, and a beautiful 1-page article about a gift of slippers.

Elsewhere in the magazine, you would find:
* all our regular sections: Here for Life, profiling a wonderful singer; our HomeSafeHome tips; and Newsroom stories
* An 8-page spread about a woman who became a flower farmer in coastal Washington state, accompanied by luscious photos of her farm and flowers,
* 8 pages of cute projects using repurposed shoes, purses, and hats,
* a story from MaryJane about a magical boot,
* a 4-page story about purses, including a nifty idea for a unique make-it-yourself purse
* a cute article about hats
* a cute article about kissing
* sidebars and photos of gorgeous slippers you can buy
* a project for making and growing a little fairy moss house
* an inspiring article about a woman who runs rivers
* another inspiring article about a woman who restored a falling-down cabin in the woods to a beautiful bed and breakfast
* a 6-page spread that will help you switch to an organic lifestyle
* 22 pages of wonderful organic farmgirl recipes, accompanied by the most beautiful photos
* and lastly, a 2-page spread about a farm wedding for MaryJane and Nick's son

So, you can see, if you do find your magazine again and take a minute to look at it, you'll see that it's not "page after page of grief" after all ... it's a normal MaryJanesFarm magazine, filled with lots of farmgirl fun. Once in a while, you might find a story that tugs on your heartstrings, just like real life, but we always work very hard to bring you a magazine filled with inspiration, projects, and recipes, and this one's no exception.

Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I know that the story about Emmie is a sad one, as the wife of a local firefighter at the time of the young woman's death I am especially humbled to recognize the story and to have heard it told many times (none more beautifully than Ryan's of course). One thing that resonated with me was how precious our 'every' days are...we are accustomed to thinking that we will be spared life's cruelties and I appreciate having a kick in the butt every now and then to remind me to savor each day. Loss is a part of the deal, so is sorrow and renewal and I am tired of brushing the first two aside- that is the primary reason I subscribe to Mary Jane's magazine...it is all real. There are very few media outlets these days that will let us face the things that might actually happen to us- and close to none who tell us how to cope once they do.
Lizabeth, I hear what you are saying...sometimes a magazine is about escaping and creating a special place in your yard, your home, your community to feel safe. The magazine is that too but that lump in your throat that tells you to hug your family and to be thankful- don't brush it aside, it can also help you to make your family and home a haven.
Warmly, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  5:40:36 PM  Show Profile
I almost forgot...you should go back and check out the great beet recipes, I love the Quick Roasted Beets on page 99 and the Beet Carrot and Potato pancakes are luscious.
Rene, your 'What is a farmgirl?" article was fab if you do say so! It inspired me to take full advantage of my farmgirl sisterhood membership and I just finished my first bunch merit badges as a result!!!

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  5:53:37 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Rebekka..

I submitted badges as well.. folks can read about it in the upcoming sisterhood newsletter....

Nothin' like "tootin' my own horn. I have to say, each issue of the Magazine, I find myself asking, "self, how can Carol and the gang possibly meet or beat the previous issue?" and by some stoke of genius they just do..............

Lizebeth, you made me ask myself, which issue is my fav.... and if I had to choose.. I think I woud say the "Raising Jane" Issue... Of course,, If I "HAD" to choose....

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  6:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Girls - Thank you for pointing out all the wonderful things in that issue. All I want to add is that I am so glad that you have found something that pulls you back Lizabeth. Isnt it great how this world is made up of so many different people. We all see things from a different perspective, come at things from a different angle. I'm glad you gave this newest issue a chance and hope that you continue to find things that uplift you and motivate you in that "farmgirl way"!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  7:54:49 PM  Show Profile
Thank you ladies for your understanding. After reading y'alls thoughts, it came to mind that last fall my new baby was three months old and I was dealing with all the hormone changes of post pregnancy, becoming a new mom to two children (my ds and my baby) instead of just one, PLUS in late October we moved out of our newlywed house of three years into a larger family house. Whew. just writing all that makes me tired!

So yep! time to open the curtains, let the light in, make some tea as Rene suggested, then clean the closet in my sewing room where I am sure that issue is hiding I want to read Rene's article for sure!

Your warmth and love are why I love this forum, thanks for the hugs and healing!

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:03:13 PM  Show Profile
Lizabeth, first let me say how thrilled I am that you are trying the magazine again! It has been a saving grace for me for a long time! Something brought you back and I'm glad but this post I'm afraid has affected me deeply. I suppose what I'm wondering about is why that story caused such a reaction in you. It must have been incredibly intense given your post and it sort of saddens me. I have a very personal reason for that, so please don't feel the least bit troubled by my sorrow but still I'm left wondering...

To my mind what encompasses the Spirit of a true farmgirl is her tenacity to weather Mother Nature's fickle mood granting seasons of plenty and those of near famine. A farmgirl shares when there is more than enough and graciously accepts from others when there isn't. A farm is an oasis for the teachings of life cycles and how every living thing is affected by it. Even those farmgirls sitting on their balconies in the middle of cities dotting the globe are not unaffected by life cycles. We are surrounded by stories of life and death. Sometimes they inspire. Sometimes they anger. Sometimes they bring us to our knees because they make no sense and we recognize with almost breathless humility how little control we have over the season of our lives.

I'm sorry Ryan's story haunted you and soured you. I'm certain that was not her intent, nor the intent of MaryJane's Farm. I read that story and was completely over-taken with sorrow because it made no sense. You want a magazine and stories that inspire you and help you make sense of life but let me tell you, I'm discovering that the only way to reach that place of enlightenment is to welcome as your bedfellow all the things about this life that stop you in your tracks and make you wonder.

I've welcomed sorrow into my life that is partnered with my 5 year old daughter enduring the brutality of chemotherapy for leukemia. It makes no sense to me. I'm baffled by it every single day. This memorial day I remembered several kids I knew who had died and I'm still shaking my head in wonderment and confusion. I can't make sense of it and perhaps that's ok. Perhaps I'm not supposed to. Perhaps I'm simply supposed to accept what is..that things happen..horrible unexpected things happen to every day people every single day. Can we really consider our lives more rich and more understandable by remaining sheltered from their tale of woe?

The story you found so disturbing about "a runner and someone dying" was a tribute by a grieving mother to a beloved daughter. I'm sorry if that disturbs you but it is real life stuff. MaryJane published an article in the Feb magazine about my daughter, who is still alive, thank God! The really hard truth of the matter is that I would be crumpled in a heap of hurt if someone read my tribute to my daughter and said what you said.

You see dear sister, MaryJane's magazine isn't at all about the spunky superficialities of being a farmgirl nor is it only about troubles and hardship. This magazine, this forum is a reminder that we are connected by a seemingly fragile but in reality tenacious thread. We weave in and out of each others lives not because we want to feel good and empowered by all things we can do, but because we simply want to feel alive! This is a place we come to remind ourselves what it means to be sisters and sometimes we are offered a glimpse into the harrowing aspects of life that call upon our farmgirl spirits to remember our humanity.

It is upon the spirit celebrating Life and honoring Death that I write.

love and light to you always, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh Mama- I know what you mean...when my babies were little I was a wreck at any mention of death, injury, injustice or politics. I could not read a paper for MONTHS after each little one was born because everything had me crying. But two was, and is, so entirely different from one as far as the adjustment goes- much harder. I would sit on the couch crying and smiling- knowing everything was bliss but feeling so heavy emotionally. Finally I broke down, bought a HUGE jogging stroller, and walked it all away. We moved into our first house just before Jack was born and I am glad- I could not have faced a move once he arrived. My Dad tried to teach me to drive a manual after many years of an automatic and I nearly lost my mind- too much!!!!

Jack will be three this fall, Bella is turning six and I am just now feeling really strong and together. I am glad you are reading the magazine anew, the latest issue is beautiful. Like Julie said, we are all different, walking different paths. What I need and can hear at any given time changes but since becoming a woman, a mama and a wife I am certain I need the love and support of my girlfriends to navigate it all.

By the way- your patterns are beautiful, I can't wait to find more time to check out your creations.
Love, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:34:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lizabeth, say no more!!! What I wouldn't do to sit and have a glass of wine with you letting the light in!!

I am so glad you have read all of these posts in the spirit for which they were intended; community, growth, love and understanding..

my love and respect, ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  8:56:45 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your family's sorrows, Julia. And I meant no disrespect to Ryan or her family. If I came through as such, to anyone, I appologise.

I had to make sense of why I was upset, and I now realize that at the time of that particular magazine issue, I was stuck in my own petty pain during significant life transitions so I only saw negative and did not have the capacity to better understand the bigger picture.

Walking sounds like a great idea Rebekka! now that the weather is sunny would be a good time to start the habit!

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile
We were typing at the same time, Julia, I've just had my browser open, musing, before I pressed submit

Wine sounds great, Julia, if you are ever on this side of the mountains I'd love to meet up. I am in the Olympia area--come on by!

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  9:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Lizabeth,
Boy I know what you mean. I remember the days. When the boys were babies and all that you wanted to see in the world was all the possibility, life and longevity. I think new mom's feel that so strongly. We begin to dream the dreams for our hope for our kids that being confronted with the "dark side" of life seems so out of the realm of possibility. I so get that. I can't wait for you to "blow the dust" off this issue and see it in new eyes.

And may I just say, how amazing I think you are. It takes an amazing woman to look on the inside to see what was going on in "self", and not assume that others meant harm in anyway. I have a new hero!

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  10:35:13 PM  Show Profile
wow rene thanks. off to bed with me now... with your lovely words. thank you! blessings to you!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  10:17:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh I so remember the first year of Nora's life. I was a total wreck whenever I heard a sad story, or on TV. I can't tell you how many days I bawled my eyes out over something or another because a kid was hurt or killed- even if it was fiction.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Magazine Feedback Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page