Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Sheep and goat wrestlin' all day
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep and goat wrestlin' all day Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  5:56:26 PM  Show Profile
Wow! goat and sheep wrestling should be an Olympic sport, I'm tellin' ya! They don't like to back up when the get their heads caught in the fences (grass IS always greener on other side) they just freak out and keep trying to go forward....Some of the older and smarter? ones will let you get them out with out the required ten minutes of wrestling...but not the young frisky dumb ones I always want to go to the other side and tickle their noses heehee You always have to struggle with the dumb bull headed ones a while and I'm plum tuckered out! goof balls! Not like they don't have PLENTY to eat on THIS side of the fence ... Silly devils!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile
I have been there and done that! I had one dumb buck that got his head stuck several times a day til I came up with the best way to get him to stop. A big long stick and duct tape. You put the stick on across the horns close to the head and duct tape away. He looked silly but it sure did help and he never did it again. That's why I dehorn my babies. I hate horns.

I hope you were able to take a break and rest between wrestlin'. That is a sport. You have to get reallt creative to try to figure how to get them out sometimes.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  8:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We had the Billy get stuck here the other day. I tried coaxing him out and when that didn't work I just picked him up and pulled until his head needed turned, then blocked him from going forwards with my body, grabbed his horn nubs and manipulated his head while bumping him back with my butt and pulling too. It worked for us, but I think he might have been a bottle fed baby so he was pretty cooperative. Or he could have been there all night and just been so glad to be rescued! LOL
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  9:11:22 PM  Show Profile
Alee, sometimes they smart up early. There was one buckling today that was just a panic boy, I ended up having to lift him off the ground and turning him sideways...I've got bruises to prove it! HA! I sound like I'm griping, but I love to live on a farm. I hope to have my own before I'm too decrepit to enjoy it! :P

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  2:08:38 PM  Show Profile
I so know what you are going thru - all of my animals (alpacas, llamas, sheep, goats and yes, even the Great Pry's) have done this and some it is a weekly activity. Here are a couple of tricks that have worked over the years.

If it is just you and they are not going to give up the fight to go the wrong way. Get behind them and take a simple dog leash, take one front leg and the other side back leg and gently tie the legs. That stops their ability to brace. Now you will not be doing the push/pull thing. If they are still struggling either pinch their nose or cover it with one hand and they will concentrate on shallow breaths and relax. I am not saying getting them to stop breathing but really they will calm down.. Also, when training animals If you are not breathing slowly and in a panic the animal will breathe faster and get paniced too...

There is a pressure point behind the ear that also will like magic release their struggle and you can get them out. As far as training them for those who continually ask for help because they are always doing this - after about three times I let the animal stay in the fence as long as they will not injury themselves and let them wait, wait, wait and wait some more... Really they learn from this and it is amazing to see the light go on for them. Sometimes we are too eager to help.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2009 :  4:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's some great information Grace- Where is the pressure point just in case I need to use it on the silly billy!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:05:22 AM  Show Profile
A border collie on the head side of the fence works great. This utilizes the "fear factor" and they back out of the hole quick hopefully not ripping out an ear tag on the way out.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:31:27 AM  Show Profile
The pressure point is at the base of the ear. Also I have found four the billies who are hard to catch - not that I have any of those - hehehe... This might be the best time to trim hoofs. Especially when it is just me - they are stuck for a couple of moments and it also seems to teach them that "Look what happens when I get my head thru this things - she messes with my feet"...

Jami, since my dogs are not a threat to the animals and they know this I could not use this but I remember when we had our American Eskimos here I would tell "Storm" that was my oldest son's female to give kisses which drove the sheep crasy and out their heads would go. Storm also was a great roundup dog - she could gather a flock up and put them up with no trouble - strange because this is not what they are breed for and she never had any training. Now she lives in the city with my son.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  08:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the pressure point info!
I'm going to get a Catahoula leopard dog puppy soon and teach it to herd, if you are not familiar with the breed, they are great dogs. My last one, died of cancer last summer and I'm ready for a new buddy.

But you are right Grace...a great time to "mess with the feet" heehee teach THEM to get stuck!
I use it as a time to check them over generally and found that picking up a front leg keeps them from lunging forward so much and I usually can balance the bent foreleg against my thigh and get them un-stuck..."The Annika method" as it were. Good to know that others have the same problem, and these sheep and goats aren't just super dumb ;P

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  11:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I've dealt with this problem too. It can be frustrating if you realize what has happened when you're out the door on your way to work. :^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  4:38:27 PM  Show Profile
I wonder if it's a "Generational" trait? I had a ram that CONSTANTLY got his head stuck (he was the SWEETEST thing on the planet!), one of his daughters did it MANY times, and his GRANDDAUGHTER does it too!!! Three generations of "Head sticken'" sheep. (my goats seem quite a bit smarter) Hmmm........
For me, I get so frustrated I either leave them there for awhile or.. --and this sounds BAAAAAAD-- I get on the other side and kick them in the head. Not HARD, but I put the flat part of my foot on their noggins and "Thump!" "Thump!" "Thump!" them a few times. Needless to say, nobody's gotten their head stuck in awhile. (he! he! he!) Guess I'm a brute of a farmgirl-- all 5 foot 2 inches of me! (LOL!) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Sheep and goat wrestlin' all day Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page