Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Please remember our veterans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please remember our veterans Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  05:17:04 AM  Show Profile
I don't know who these people are but it always touches my heart and thought it would be good to post today.

Patsy

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Please do remember to thank our vets, past and present. I told me cousin yesterday I had never actually thanked him for serving our country. He was in Nam. He told me in almost 40 years I was the ONLY person to ever thank him. Please remember to say thank you. I became more aware of my mistakes in not doing so when I lost my nephew 1 1/2 years ago in Iraq. As they say Freedom isn't free, somebody has made the ultimate for us!
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  08:47:38 AM  Show Profile
I try to stop every veteran I see, especially the older ones from Korea and WWII and say thank you for your service. I remember thanking an older gentleman, a WWII vet, at our Old Country Buffet. I shook his hand and I could see tears in his eyes. We talked for a few minutes and then he left with his family. I thank God for our brave vets who allow us to live the life we do. My late father served three years in Korea including many months in combat. They go through a lot for us. Let us never forget.

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  11:15:50 AM  Show Profile
I am so very thankful for those who have served and those serving. We would not have the freedom we do if no one served. I keep our military and their families in prayer. Whenever I see someone in the military I always acknowledge them and thank them for their service. It's the very least I can do.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile
We spent the day at Cantigny Park in Wheaton, IL. This is the former home of Col. Robert McCormick, a World War I hero, founder of the Chicago Tribune and McCormick Place in Chicago. Cantigny has a a World War I museum and every Memorial Day the First Division gives a concert there. We really enjoyed looking at all the monuments to our veterans and strolling around the grounds. My little boy was very excited to see all the soldiers there too. He loved climbing on all of the tanks outside of the museum. It was a great way to spend Memorial Day.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  2:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Dawn
And a great way to teach your child as well!!! Went to a local cemetary. Around the town where I live they rotate between 8 cemetaries each year, 4 a year and the local legion does the service. Short but still nice to go and acknowledge our heroes.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  3:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely. We don't do picnics or things like that on Memorial Day. Jus, Violet and I started our own tradition today, attending the service for veterans at Spring Grove Cemetery, then we drove to another cemetery that Justin knows of, which is an all African American Veteran (and their families) cemetery that was just recently renovated after 40 years or so of neglect. The folks who take care of it are prisoners, so you may well imagine it's certainly not immaculate. Sadly, we were the only visitors today, that I saw. A boyscout troup had put up a few flags at the very miniscule "memorial" put that was erected when they finished the renovation about 5 years ago. I cut about 3 dozen roses and irises from our garden before we left the house and put them into water and then we randomly put a flower on Veterans' headstones here and there. Next year, I should plant more flowers to cut so that every veteran can have one.

Quietly, at each headstone, I said,"thank you" and put my flower down. I can't wait til Violet can say it with me.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  5:20:29 PM  Show Profile
May God Bless you and your family Jonni, that is awesome. There were maybe 20 people at the one I was at, 10 of which were probably the local guard unit.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Rae, and you the same. It's so sad to me that many people just don't think of what "Decoration Day" is all about. I was thinking that by next year, I would like to find some fabric with Poppies on it, to make Violet a dress to wear for Memorial Day--I miss that veteran's groups (around here, I guess) don't give the little poppies any longer when you make a donation.

My father was in WWII, and it dawned on me today, that Violet will probably not know many WWII veterans. Very sad thought. Her Great Grandfather is 82 and was in the war with his 8 brothers, but he is failing.

Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  6:15:11 PM  Show Profile
If possible get some of his stories if he is willing to tell you. It is such an important part of our history.
Rae

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  05:53:12 AM  Show Profile
My uncle served in WW11. On his death bed he asked my if I thought he had any chanch in going to heaven, I said no doupt, Then he told me he had to shoot a little boy about 5 years old who was going to throw a gernade into the truck loaded with his friends.(soldiers)Can you image having that weight on your shoulders?
My dad served and rarely speaks of the war. My brother served on VietNam, He came home with a few holes in him but he's lucky no permament (real damage). I served during peace time. I can't image having to kill someone. We need to remember them every day, especially the war time soldiers.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  06:09:48 AM  Show Profile
I think WWII was a terrible war, for many reasons--and your poor Uncle, Diane. All the things that these men carry with them...terrible things. For those in Vietnam as well. My mother's favorite cousin, a farm boy from Darby, Ohio was killed when he was just 18 in Vietnam. His momma and daddy never had enough money to go to Washington D.C. to get to see his name on the "wall", so when I went with school in 6th grade, Mom told me to make a rubbing of his name for them. It took FOREVER (that I remember) to find his name, but the volunteers were so kind. I made a rubbing with the pencil and Mom sent it to his parents...apparently, it really touched them profoundly because they write to me still, every year at Christmas and thank me. They've been writing for 25 years...

My daddy never talked about it much--what happened before and what happened when he got home, but never what happened while he was in the European theater.

Justin's Grandfather and his 8 brothers all went--only one was killed, in Asia, and it literally killed his mother and father right along with him. One of Justin's great uncles, a passionist priest, was the highest decorated priest in WWII, saying Christmas mass at the battle of Bastogne in Belgium and travelling with the 101st Airborne Division. He had a purple heart and 2 silver stars. He later went on to serve in Korea where he punched a Colonel for being too loud and cussing a blue streak outside the mess tent where Father was holding mass--he was Irish AND a boxer...no account for his temper, I suppose :)

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Please remember our veterans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page