Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Look Who's Coming to Dinner - In Alabama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Look Who's Coming to Dinner - In Alabama Next Topic  

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  06:04:10 AM  Show Profile
Look Who’s Coming to Dinner – The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

The bounty for our locally grown meal was mostly bought at the Pepper Place Farmer’s Market, the eggs were from down the road, and my little garden supplied the basil.

The menu

Appetizer – pecan goat cheese wheel with sourdough points

Main dish - Ham and cheese frittata with basil

Side dishes - Sweet potato casserole crusted with pecans

Aunt Donna’s squash and zucchini melt

Honeyed peas and carrots

Spring mix salad with baby spinach and tomatoes

Dessert – Five flavor pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream

Non-Alabama ingredients – ham, cheese, raspberry vinaigrette and whipped cream

The details. Since almost everything had to be made right before it was eaten, I had to enlist most of the guests in the preparation of this meal. That was FUN! I conducted the making of this feast like a maestro with his baton, over here I had my brother and son cracking the eggs, my step-daughter cutting up the bacon and whisking the eggs, my husband cutting the bread, my mom, daughter and mother-in-law harvesting basil and cutting up tomatoes, while I orchestrated it all from the center of the kitchen. I forgot how much I enjoy giving orders and being the boss!

Mom said that we should open a restaurant. That was BEFORE we had even tasted what we were making. My brother and I just rolled our eyes. Must everything be about making money?

Throughout it all I promised that no one would go hungry and that they could let their dessert be their meal if they didn’t like anything that was being served. Poor Lovin’ Man, who won’t eat most vegetables, was eating dessert before most of us sat down with our heavily laden plates.

All went according to plan, the girls pronounced the meal a success and the boys were still pouting because they had to lift a finger to help AND they didn’t get any red meat or potatoes. Oh, boo-hoo.

Next all Alabama meal will be after I have had time to put in an order for organically grown meat from Goose Pond Farm, the boys will never go hungry again!

Farmgirl Sister #554

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Nikki, that sounds so good. And the picture is great. When I start getting enuf goat milk to make cheese, you can have some. I make a good feta. I'll have to try the cheve (?) cheese next, too.

I'm hungry now.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  09:59:53 AM  Show Profile
Gorgeous picture, Nikki!!! And you maestro, you! Way to rally the troops. I'm with, Kris, I'm hungry now!

You need to start your own blog.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:08:11 PM  Show Profile
wow...what time is dinner? Good job!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Nikki! What a great meal! And a beautiful picture too! Great job!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:54:42 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!!! You made me hungry! I'm having a terrible time finding markets and homegrown anything here that isn't hours away...it's hard to beleive but CSA hasn't really caught on down here so I guess I need to do my part! Great food and I love the fresh stuff and local! It's scary to eat some of the stuff from the store anymore. Yes....you need to blog your "adventure" and share those recipes!
Thanks for "a feast for the eyes" at least....a taste would have been better! LOL!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  3:28:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh, y'all are all so sweet! I really enjoyed doing this and I would like for it to be more of a regular thing, instead of a novelty as it was.

I was so hungry while I was reading Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Mineral, and this meal hit the spot. It was just what I needed!

Kris, I would love to try fresh, fresh feta! Yum!

I was thinking that nearer the end of summer we could have a make-your-own pizza party. Hopefully, I could find flour from around here (if not, then I would use MaryJane's budget mix), make a big batch of dough and sauce with some of my tomatoes (oh, please, God!) and have bowls of toppings for everyone to do their own. We could put some pizzas in the oven and others on the grills. I think that would be so cool! Lovin' Man said that he has a friend who offered to give him one of his organically grown pigs. So at least we might have bacon to go on them. HA! And I need an excuse to make me make some homemade mozzarella. Barbara Kingsolver talks about it. And she makes it sound SO GOOD!

Sandra, Alee, Melissa, Cherry and Kris, y'all should come by at the end of summer and we could make pizza and drink watermelon lemonade and light up some sparklers! I am serious!

Farmgirl Sister #554
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  4:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Now if that doesn't sound like fun .. I don't know what does!!!! If I could I would and I'm serious too!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - May 27 2009 :  12:09:12 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, I looked at localharvest.org - seemed like the closest would be Koshkonong, MO? Maybe if you got some friends to car pool and made a morning outing out of it? I found 2 farms in AR - Mountain Home and Calico Rock but they looked like a bit of a drive, too...

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Look Who's Coming to Dinner - In Alabama Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page