westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls, I dont know about you but I cant wait to start digging!! My hands are itching to plant. I have a garden shed this year finally and I am ready!! I started my seeds and am so anxious. My husband is making me a sign (dont laugh) for my "little peice of heaven" to put on the shed. I went out & bought a new hand lawn mower(no motor) my peice of heaven is probably smaller then most of your bedrooms, but I'm ready to dig, mow, plant and sow!! Spring starts in March and I am more then ready. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Rusty pins
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Paula
Oelwein Iowa
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I LOVE spring!! I usually start my tomatoes and peppers early in March. Here in Iowa they don't get put out for awhile. It's so wonderful to be thinkin' about Spring again...everything is so new and fresh. Isn't it funny how you forget about the 100* temps, the hornworms your tomatos had and the worms in all your apples, from last year?? OR...that the weeds outgrew your flowers in the beds and took on a life of their own?LOL AH...yes I do love Spring!!! Now..if only someone could come up with a candle smell for DIRT!!!! I'd be in heaven!
Sweet Blessins',
Paula :o)

"Life shall judge us harshly enough. Let us at least be gentle with each other."

http://www.rustypinsandoldlace.com/
'Antiques & HandMades for your heart and your home.'
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  07:49:52 AM  Show Profile
i'm gonna go snip some forsythia and bring it in and plop it in a vase to 'force' those sweet yaller buds .. to bring on a little early springtime!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm fixin to start my seeds inside this week. We have a pretty short growing season (especially for tomatoes) in this part of Idaho. I have to hit it just right or end up with a bunch of green tomatoes (which is okay too). Michele, while you're digging, I'll still be waiting for the snow to melt off Rathdrum Mtn. Around here they say not to plant any annuals til them, and I found out the hard way the first year that they're right!

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  10:41:40 AM  Show Profile
It is time to start some seeds. We are lucky enough that spring comes fairly early on the west side of the mountains here in the NW. Pansies and primroses are already for sale at the local markets. And I have buds on my daphne plus the Japanese irises are sending up shoots. I'd love to dig but the ground is still too darn wet. Can't do that yet but I'm sure going to get some pots of pansies planted for my front porch!

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  1:42:16 PM  Show Profile
It't time around here for some indoor seed starting, too. I was so interested to hear that in another part of the country snow melting off a mountain means it's time to plant. Where I am, the snow forms this weird "horned face" shape on one craggy mountain face, and the older farmers have admonished me not to plant "until the devil' off the mountain." I really didn't get it until last year, but now I can't wait for the tip of "his" face to disappear!

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  1:47:45 PM  Show Profile
I love that!!! I am ready to start my tomatoes inside this week too!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, thats funny. The old timers, I found, know what they are talking about most times. Spring is a great time! Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  10:20:48 AM  Show Profile
I too have been 'eyen' my yard. Have some serious clean-up. My DH pruned and I need to get out there and stake claim on the limbs for projects and such. We have had some great weather and I see some little sprouts, hoping it's the seeds I planted and not weeds. Makin lots of plans and looking over gardening books and magazines for inspiration.

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  7:10:47 PM  Show Profile
I got the "itch" last weekend because it was the first sunny day in the last 45 days that we have had. Of course I had to get a cold, so wasn't able to do all I wanted. But spread my bonemeal on the bulbs that are coming up - have crocus that are starting to bloom. Planted primroses and pansies on the porch and did a little clean up of winter debris. Next I will start tomato seeds this weekend and do a bit of steer manure/mulch spreading. It is still too wet to do to much digging, but I can start pruing soon - they say President's day weekend is the weekend to prune roses in the NW. So I will do that then along with pruning my blueberries and raspberries.

Anne Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2006 :  4:28:22 PM  Show Profile
We received a little reminder from Mother Nature over the weekend here, about an inch of snow, so my spring dreams were dampened a bit. But I can still dream of my gardens and plan what I would like to plant this year. My 2 year old Granddaughter helped me plant last year and so I expect she will be my garden helper again this year. I really enjoy her company and she is at the age now where everything is exciting and new. I can't wait for spring..my chickens probably feel the same way!

Margaret
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic SPRING WONDERFUL SPRING Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page