lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  6:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Not long ago I was very disappointed when I walked into our local Walmart and saw that they had done away with their fabric department. I use to buy my fabric there all the time, as well as other sewing and craft supplies.
Last week I decided to visit another fabric store and was shocked by the high prices on their fabrics. I thought to myself. How in the world can a person afford to buy fabric here?
It was then I decided I was going to do the thrifty thing about fabric. I did some shopping at one of our local thrift stores and noticed a wide variety of dresses that were made from all sorts of beautiful prints and patterns of fabric as well as solid colors. My mind was made up, and I knew that if I looked hard enough I would surely find all the craft fabric I needed. These old dresses would find new life in my crafts. Not to mention all the assortment of old blue jeans I could use to make frayed denim quilts.
Problem solved thanks to thriftiness!
I just love it when a plan comes together!

God bless

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  04:31:45 AM  Show Profile
I see a lot of women when I'm at the thrift loading up their carts with pretty sheets and curtains and quilts, they are for the most part buying them to cut up for other projects.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  06:44:39 AM  Show Profile
We did that not too long ago. I wanted cute curtains for the babies' room, but Walmart had little left to choose from. We went to the thrift shop and found adorable sheets in a kiddie print. I took them home,chopped them up, hemmed them, and now we are all set! :)
Desperate times call for farmgirl creativity!!

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
I've got an online buddy who recently made killer pillows from old skirts she nabbed at a thrift; they have such a cool vintage look!

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile
i think we should all get in the car and go to the thrift!!!

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  09:35:44 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of re-using. I always check out our local thrift store for buttons and clothing for fabrics.

Wouldn't be great to have a Field Trip to the Thrift Store? :) The only thing is we would probably be reaching for the same things

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 22 2009 :  12:10:37 PM  Show Profile
Great idea! I love it that you have the vision to repurpose these old garments and fabrics. I sure wish I was a seamstress...maybe I will be one day when I grow up!

On another note, I need to go to the thrift for clothes! I can't wear anything right now!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Yeah, Nancy Jo, I'm with you! I have a real urge to go right now....:D

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

MicheleyL
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Michele
Naples Fl
USA
2 Posts

Posted - May 29 2009 :  7:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I love to make olde world Santas. I use old scarves (the wool kind) I buy at the thrift store to create Santa's outfits. Each scarf is usually only a dollar and sometimes only .50 on half price day. I also often use coats to create Santa jackets. And the coat fur trim works so well and is so much more authentic.

Lovin' Country Prims...
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2009 :  09:09:48 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I just made the cutest apron with a skirt from a thrift store. I loved the fabric, but the cut was just hideous! So I cut it into quarters, using the extra for a ruffle and long ties that wrap around so the bow is in front, and I still have the back half of the skirt left to make one for a friend!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  10:07:28 AM  Show Profile
I have just started going to the thrift store with my sole purpose being to look for fabrics to use for my sewing projects. I have several cool vintage curtains that I am going to turn into aprons, a couple pillowcases for tank tops, and sheets for other projects. I am going to make an outdoor quilt for my boys to lay on and play while I am gardening from a couple cool sheets that I found. That way I don't have to worry about them getting a quilt I worked hard on dirty. I am also not very good at following patterns, so I thought I could practice with thrift store fabrics, then I wouldn't have to waste my "good" fabric if I messed it up!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
My problem is I like to actually make my clothes. I make some pretty fun skirts - but I like long skirts. I've modified one pattern that requires four pieces to put the skirt together so that I add in four triangular pieces about halfway up the seam - giving the skirt a lot more fabric and give (and femininity). But I can't find fabric! The stuff in stores is so expensive - how in the world can they charge so much for unimproved, often less-than fabulous fabric? I wouldn't call any of that stuff anything to write home about. It's just price gouging, that's what.

I also like making my own rip-offs. I simply adore Ralph Lauren and Anne Klein, but i sure can't afford those prices! So I take a good look at something I like, and then I go off and make it. Only now - I can't find convincing fabric - and if I do, it would cost the same to make it as to buy the outfit and have the fancy label.

I have been redoing old dresses and making them into presents for people - I make bags - but as to my own clothes, I'm having to get more creative.

Edited by - greyghost on Jun 19 2009 12:25:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Here are some possible ideas...Check the remnant bins, I have found six whole yards of fabric before. Check the swap meets, there's usually someone selling fabric! And yard sales are great for that sort of thing. People cleaning out their craft rooms/sewing rooms etc.

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:56:09 PM  Show Profile
greyghost, i have bought alot of really good fabric on EBAY, also at yard sales, and I watch for estate sales, one I went to a few years back, the women who passed was buying fabric on the bolts and never got around to useing it, I paid $5-$10 per bolt and bought a $100 dollars worth and still have tons that I use to make quilts from.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2009 :  6:00:38 PM  Show Profile
We have great thrift stores...My favorite is St Vincent DePaul...I have been there on odd days..mid week and have gotten loads of fabric very cheap. I also love that tey have 1.00 items that are usually name brands.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

cdmcan
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Diane
Homer City PA
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Our thrift store is not inexpensive being close to a college town, but I do still get a few good bargains for repurposing..

I suggest yard sales too... people are always willing to get rid of clothing etc at an inexpensive price = these items are not big sellers.

I love using old wool sweaters to felt and make handbags, etc.

Lover of Siamese Cats
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
wow what a great idea! I would have never thought to go to the thrift store to look for fabric.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2009 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile
A few of the craft stores in my area offer coupons if you get on their mailer list. I get 50% coupons at least once a month. Which REALLY helps, but I try to only go when I have a coupon or when things are on sale. I knit too, and sometimes the yarns are also half off. But yarns, like fabric, can get very expensive but I've found both at thrift stores too!

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchHazel
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Kylie
Rome NY
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2010 :  8:52:18 PM  Show Profile
I costume shows for a local theater company, and thrift store sheets and curtains help our budget quite a lot. We just did a traditional period production of Gilbert and Sullivan's Patience, and the cost of costuming the 28-person cast with multiple changes was only about $300. :}

Kylie

"It's wonderful what we can do when we're always doing." -George Washington
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  05:27:14 AM  Show Profile
What a great thread!

My sister works at one of the thrift stores here, and they always have tons of fabric there. But even if they didn't....I love making my own clothes, and I'm finally able to start looking at pre-made clothes there that I don't like for some reason (but are priced cheap!!) and figure out how to make them work for me. :) Now that's power!!

I agree that fabric in stores is WAY overpriced. I remember ten or so years back when I wanted to make a quilt because I naively thought that it would be a "cheap" way to make something for the bed. HA!!! Not unless you're using scraps from someone else!!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.wakeupstartlearning.blogspot.com
www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2010 :  08:12:24 AM  Show Profile
I love to but old wool sweaters at the thrift and felt them and cut them up to use in other projects
Currently, I am trying to gather enough thrift shop plaid flannel shirts to make a "manly" quilt
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:43:33 AM  Show Profile
So glad this Thread is back up...
yep, I peruse the Thrifts for sheets (rag rugs) wool coats & jackets (penny rugs), jeans (denim quilts & aprons) and if I spot a garment that has really awesome embellishments or buttons...I will 'harvest' them from the garment,,,with the price of buttons these days, It's almost cheaper to buy a dress for a dollar or two and re-purpost the fabric, and buttons....
Thrifts are a great resource...and most of them have 'special sales' days....but just get there early...
Remember, being a "Second Hand Rose" is a Good Thing!

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2010 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile
I find all kinds of craft-ables at the thrift shops! I'm glad to see this thread, now I know I'm not the only one!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  9:47:07 PM  Show Profile
Our WalMart is still selling fabric, but they told me they are going to quit. They don't sell embroidery thread anymore either. Boo! I also repurpose clothes from thrifts and especially yard sales which are usually cheaper. I have bought wool skits to cut up for material for old fashioned comforters. I feel kind of funny cutting up a good skirt somebody in the world could be wearing, but I do it anyway. I have a white Crhistmas tree I keep up all year in my bedroom with pink, peach and gold ornaments and I found a peach satin bridesmaid dress for a$1 with a beautiful lace collar that I was able to fold around for a tree skirt.
Go to Top of Page

beadbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Therese
Valencia California
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2010 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile
When my daughter was a baby, I would buy old large dresses and cut them up to make her clothes. She had very sensitive skin, and the old clothes were already so soft, it was perfect. I could sometimes get more than one garment out of one dress!

Therese
Farmgirl Sister #1217

If you ask me what I came into this world to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud. ~Emile Zola
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2010 :  5:35:03 PM  Show Profile
One day I was in a thrift store-- I purchased some small dresses (I"m a big country girl) anyway the checkout lady -- said Lila you cant wear those!! I said I know I buying them for the fabric to make a quilt! There were two ladies there that took off running and said "we never thought of that" as they are racing to clothes!

I have made dog jackets from fleece pajama tops; curtains from sheets; mini blinds from bedskirts; potholders, blankets & burp clothes with used mattress covers inside; a purple hippo for my niece for Christmas and tea dyed I don't know how many white cotton sheets for dolls and sheets/bed skirts for crochet rugs.

Lila
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Thrift Store Fabric Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page