Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Weather Report
 Crying in Appalachia Mtns SW Virginia
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Weather Report: Previous Topic Crying in Appalachia Mtns SW Virginia Next Topic  

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  4:49:40 PM  Show Profile
We had a late frost last night and my basil plants are dead. Nothing else, thank God, was killed and we're expecting more frost tonight. At least the rosemary looks to be all right and the tomato plants are still on the porch, ready to be set out...after frost is over. Our last frost date is 15 May but we've been known to have frost every month except July or August, can't remember which.
Blast.
All that money and hard work - gone.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  7:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Sandra, Sorry about the frost! My mom lives in Ohio and she said they had frost last night and are supposed to get frost again tonight!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 18 2009 :  9:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Gad Nabit! I hate that. We have been having a weird wave here too. One night it is below freezing and the next it is 91 degrees.... my poor plants are all messed up! Grr! Sorry for the loss!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  08:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I know how you feel - I cooked my plants in my cold frame a couple of weeks ago. So sad.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile
I hear ya! We're in Northern Kentucky and had a frost warning for Sunday night--I was the only goofball on our street who went out and covered all the "tender" stuff up...nothing got nabbed, though, so it worked.

Sorry that it happened--the weather is just REALLY weird right now!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  08:54:16 AM  Show Profile
I am so jealous that you girls already have your plants in the ground. We have been working on our chicken coop and getting the yard fenced in so much that I still don't even have the gardens turned over yet. And sadly none of my seeds are doing a thing in their little peat pots. I do know how that crazy weather works though. Nebraska is not much better.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  1:14:19 PM  Show Profile
well, im going for it this week end, going to plant as much as I can, everything is growing to big in my little greenhouse ,so have to get them in the ground. Wish me luck that the frost is over here.
Shirley in Oly WA
Go to Top of Page

CalicoCat
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

April
Oakland County MI
USA
82 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  06:25:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CalicoCat's MSN Messenger address  Send CalicoCat a Yahoo! Message
Oh I am sorry for your basil! We had a thick frost two nights in a row earlier this week (and high 80s yesterday - go figure), but my flowers were close enough to the house to not get the full brunt of it. My mother had given me a hanging basket of orangey/red begonias which I really did not care for, so it wasn't all bad that the frost did nail that. *whistling innocently*

~April
http://aprilsatelier.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  7:06:37 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about the plants. I would enjoy some cool weather here in Louisiana. The humidity is gross!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  06:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Marly,
I agree with you on that!!! Summers are like living in a sauna.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  8:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Tina:
It was a hot day today in Southwest Louisiana. My goodness. I stayed outside most of today. Tomorrow I'll wait until the evening to do all the watering, weeding, etc... And it's only early June. Can you imagine what late July will be like. I'd love some cool and dry weather.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1827 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1827 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2009 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile
You should be in Iowa it is in the 60's and 70's actually a little chilly. We have had a lot of rain and it is cooler than normal but really nice. I do not like the hot and humid weather.

Happiness is having
farmgirl friends.
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Crying in Appalachia Mtns SW Virginia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page