Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 We might have to move..........prayers needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic We might have to move..........prayers needed Next Topic  

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  11:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, some of you know that I took care of my MIL until her death last fall. Now my DH and BIL are haggling about the estate.
After my FIL died my BIL had my MIL change her will so he would get more, half of everything. Well my MIL had to take out a home equity loan on her house/land to cover her expenses as she didn't get enough social security to pay for everything. My DH sold his home and property down the hill and we bought a used double-wide and put in improvements on MIL's land and moved up on her property so I would be closer to care for her. My FIL asked my DH to promise to take care of his mother and NOT put her in a nursing home. My BIL wanted her in a nursing home 2 weeks after FIL died. My DH kept his word and we cared for her.
Now my BIL doesn't want to accept 1/2 of the debt on the estate he only wants his 1/2 of the assets and wants my DH to pay ALL the debt.
My DH hired an attorney to handle the estate as he figured his brother wouldn't be easy to deal with. The attorney told us last week that if the 2 brothers don't come to an agreement then the probate judge will say the whole estate has to be sold, the debts paid then split what's left. This would mean we take all of our farm equipment, our mobile home, all of our animals, and have to move to ......who knows where.
I know that everything belongs to God, and we've been praying for God to soften my BIL's heart, but my DH spoke to his brother tonight and he just isn't budging. This only means money to him, but it means our whole security to us, where we live, where we farm, our livestock, etc.
There is even more to this story.....my grandmother wants to move out here with us so I can care for her so she won't have to go into a nursing home, but now that is on hold too. She isn't really eating right anymore and needs someone to care for her. My parents are also looking to move out here, buy my MIL's house from my DH for the cost of his 1/2 of his mother's debt that my DH would incur. This would be an ideal situation for us as neither my DH nor I have good credit due to bad divorces in the past.
We really need prayers on this. I'm feeling so uncertain about our future. I'm beginning to plant the garden but wonder if I'll even be here to reap what I'm sowing.

Thank you girls for letting me come to you with what is really troubling me.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  05:00:55 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
My prayers are with you!!!! Has your DH tried medeation (sp)? Isn't it sad when familys fight over money. My brother is like your BIL. Money hungrey. You are an wonder taking care of everyone just don't forget to take care of you!! I know I am not much help but just know that I am praying for you.

Blessings,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  06:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,
I am praying for you and your situation.
I know how hard it is as I have a money hungry BIL also.
Just give it to the Lord.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Praying for you Cindy. Have faith and go plant that garden of yours, you are sowing positive energy in the ground for yourself, your parents and grandmother.
God bless you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  06:29:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Cindy! My old neighbors were going through something similar. One thing you might try is buying the estate when it goes up for sale? Or at least the property part so you can stay put? I know you said you have bad credit, but perhaps you might still qualify when you point out that you would have half the purchasing price to put right back into the loan?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  09:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Hugs and prayers are headed your way, Cindy. You have such a caring heart, I just don't understand how some people don't. I hope all goea your way and ya'll come out on top anyway.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, we really need all the prayers we can and I appreciate your support!! I'll keep you updated here on any new outcomes as they happen.

You know, when I moved here, I thought this would finally be my last move. It's such a beautiful place and my husband was born and raised here, he's worked at this property his whole life, even when he lived down the hill 1 mile. It's heartbreaking to think we might have to move.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 19 2009 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile
There might be a "saving grace" written into MIL's will. Hopefully a judge will uphold it........it states "if anyone contests this will then I bequeath $1.00 and no more". Maybe we will come out alright after all. We'll see what happens and what the judge says.
We're still praying though!
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  11:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, that's a hard situation. I'm sorry you're having to go through it now, it must be stressful. You and your family are in my prayers and I hope it all works out for you all. I hope the judge upholds what your MIL put in her will.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/

An Angel says, 'Never borrow from the future. If you worry about what may happen tomorrow and it doesn't happen, you have worried in vain. Even if it does happen, you have to worry twice.'
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  7:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Prayers to ya'll. Keep in touch and let us know what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  07:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Cindy,

I am keeping your family and this matter in prayer. I pray that you will be able to stay and things would be settled in a fair way.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on May 21 2009 07:39:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  2:34:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Elaine, Suzie, and Sharon.

DH hired an attorney to represent him in this matter, to protect him really. He isn't wanting more than 1/2 like the will says.

I was talking to a woman in town here this morning and she said her husband's grandfather had a will in the same county as us with a stipulation that if any of his 3 sons contested it, he got $.01, yup, one cent. She said that it was about 14 years ago and that it was upheld in probate by the judge.
I think when it comes right down to it, that my BIL will accept his portion of the debt(albeit he won't be happy about it) as well as his 1/2 of the assets as he will sell the assets and still be ahead of the game.

Time will tell.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic We might have to move..........prayers needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page