Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Training a dog to come Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  4:14:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions on dog names. We are still mulling it over to see what fits him best.
The only problem we have with our adopted dog is that if he happens to get out the door without a leash he bolts and does not come when called and doesn't even look back. Today I had to chase him three blocks to the park and the only reason I caught him is because he ran up to a group of people and they grabbed him for me. He acts like he can't even hear me when I am calling him outside (He comes when called in the house every time). I'm afraid he is going to get hit by a car or lost next time. I'm sure he will get out again because of all the kids coming in and out of the door and not always being careful. I've never had this problem with a dog before. Our other dog comes every time she is called. How can I solve this problem before something happens to him?
-Elizabeth

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  5:27:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't know that much about dog training...but maybe controlled sessions in the yard...let him loose and when he DOES come when you call, reward him with a treat or something...? Until it becomes habit for him to just come when he hears the command...? Dogs don't listen to me too well, either, so maybe that only works theoretically, LOL.

~Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

www.jodielyzabeth.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  5:32:26 PM  Show Profile
One thing I read is when a dog is on the loose, and people are chasing them, they typically call just the dog's name. "Spot, Spot, Spot!" But if a dog is trained to the commands, you should give the dog the command, "Spot, COME!" and that sometimes clicks with them. (Just calling their name means nothing to them, but if they know their commands, that does.) Or you could try "Sit!" or even "Sit, Stay!" if they are strong on those. But try giving them a command. I did that once when my brother's dog got out when I was visiting, and surprise! it worked! Good luck!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  6:02:38 PM  Show Profile
Practice in the house with treats. Maybe some clicker training, I would check the dog whisperer website.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile
Check out the book How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend by The Monks of New Skete. It not only tells you how to train your dog but the whys of it.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  06:40:39 AM  Show Profile
And whatever you do, please don't ever call a dog to you and then scold it.

You can purchase a long leash of about 50 feet to maintain control. Keep one foot ob the end, so if she doesn't come when called, you can at least prevent her from going further. Call the dog and use a big hand sweeping motion toward you. Use a happy high pitched voice, turn it into a game and heavily reward when the dog is at your feet.

Use a high value item/treat, not the usual dog food.

Leaning over a dog is percieved as a threat, as is direct eye contact.

Try turning your back and calling --or calling and moving away very quicky as you call and clap your hands.

The key to training is consistency.

And I'll also echo the use of a clicker or whistle. I'll recommend The Other end of the Leash by Patricia McConnell and Don't Shoot the Dog by Melinda Prior. This second book teaches positive training fundamentals.

good luck
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I bought a long lead and will work on having him come to me while outside. I've had a hard time finding a treat that he really enjoys, is it okay to use a little bit of cheese to reward him?
It's just hard knowing that if he gets out again he will bolt, so I hope that with consistent training he will listen to me when I call him. Has anyone actually experienced a dog that was like this and was able to correct the problem? Considering we have just had him a week I guess I can't expect him to be perfect, especially since it seems he wasn't trained at all, we are still working on "sit" with him. He listens to "no" pretty well when he chases the cats or is doing something bad. He is a year and a half old so he has probably learned some bad habits from his previous homes. I just want to keep him safe and his bolting out the door and running like the dickins will get him into trouble sooner or later! I didn't scold him when I got him back yesterday, I just hooked the leash on him and walked home. I know that we need to teach him that it is "fun" to come to us, not a bad thing.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile
All dogs seem to love hotdog

a little goes a long way

if you use cheese it does cause gastric upset (slight bloating and gas) dogs can't digest the lactose

a cleaner alternative is freeze dried liver bits

it is expensive though so stick with tiny bits of hotdog
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  08:55:58 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
I did have this problem with my rescue Keeshond. She was just about a year old, had lost a litter of puppies just after the rescue group got her and she was a very gun-shy baby. She was afraid of men and brooms. But she would stalk me and if I opened the front door to get the morning paper, she was between my legs and off like a shot! She wouldn't stop, just run. Lucky I always had a robe on, as there were quite a few mornings I gave chase in my nightclothes and slippers. Down a residential street! Then I had to pick her up and carry her home...ah, memories :-) She was also a stress barker, just fearful of her surroundings, until she finally (after a year or so...) realized she was in a safe place and loved for herself! But I had to consult a trainer (mainly for the barking) and she recommended taking her to basic obedience classes and looooong walks - to where she would get home and just "drop" from exhaustion. Well, we did the classes, and that, along with extending the walks I was already giving her (and my other two dogs) did the trick.
My dog was picked up on the street by Animal Control and they turned her over to the Keeshond rescue. She was very good at stealing food off the kitchen counter, so I figure she had been a street dog for some time, after escaping or being tossed out of an unhappy situation.
Give your little man time and attention and if you can swing it, I found the obedience classes extremely helpful. And as it has been mentioned, consistency on your part is key.
Good luck! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  4:55:25 PM  Show Profile
I spoke to a trainer at the humane society and he recommended teaching him first not to go out the door without my permission. I've been working on having him sit and stay by the door today before letting him out and so far he is doing okay. THen once we have mastered that we will work on the come part. As long as he learns that he can't go outside without the word "go" he hopefully won't bolt!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile
Cesar Mullan (Dog Whisperer) says that a dog needs to be trained to be the last one out the door. I know that is difficult when they bolt (mine does too and I have to go after her in my truck before she comes to me), but she never knows where she is and of course doesn't know the way home.

Good luck with the training. It definitely isn't a one-shot thing.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  5:42:16 PM  Show Profile
This is true

We are supposed to be the pack leaders. This means we eat first and go out the door first too.

Hard, as I also have one who bolts. As a pup, our dog would hit the screen door with both paws and keep on a gettin' it. glsd we broke her of that before she reached 20 pounds plus!

Generally she'll wait for the ok. It depends on what's going on outside too
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Training a dog to come Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page