Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  4:16:51 PM  Show Profile
Gr.

Thought I was so smart, getting the garden in. MN had other plans, and I'm not smart at all. Frosted tomatoes, maybe my potato... the one I started in my kitchen and babied along until it flowered and I found little potato-lets on as I transplanted it to the newly tilled garden. Everyone's covered in plastic now. Mini green house rows.

Sigh. More frost coming. Hail today. The Ag teacher joked and said I'd better get more and plant them by Friday. At this rate, if I do grow any tomatoes, they will have cost me their weight in gold (lol). But I guess the school will do okay financially. Didn't mean to support our little school bugdet entirely on tomato re-purchases. Sigh. I guess there are worse things. :)

Ah, the best laid plans of mice and farmgirls...

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  4:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh no Michelle! That is so disappointing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile
This is the strangest weather year so far. We have had way too much rain here. It's been cool the last few days. My potatoes were all probably drowned. What has come up is few and far between. It's just too strange.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  8:13:58 PM  Show Profile
Hope it all works out. Gives new meaning to "a snowflakes chance in July". Doesn't seem
not so likely with springs like this.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  2:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Well, I bought twice as many and threw in a few peppers too. Still haven't planted them. Gun shy. I might sew a grain sack into a long tube and plant a few of them so they come out the bottom and hang it from the porch. Might stay above the frost. Worth a try. I've heard we can get a crazy late frost even into June. Maybe I'll just have a few "greenhouse teepees" around for the ones in the ground JIC. Thanks for the encouragement. Still have enough garden to work with that didn't freeze. Learning curve.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  12:32:18 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, I know how you feel being gun shy. I've planted lettuce (which likes cooler weather) and some onions and just put some beans in the ground. I'm too nervous to put out any tomato or pepper plants yet. The weather in this region is nuts too! 85 one day, 50 the next with frost at night. One day sunny, next stormy, just never seen anything quite like this before last year. Although I think this year is even crazier.
Right now my house is beginning to look like a forest for all the plants I'm afraid to put out.
Good luck on the rest of your plantings.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Frozen 'maters Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page