Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What is your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder book? Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  5:21:27 PM  Show Profile
I was unpacking my books into my bookshelf in our new cabin and came upon my collection of Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I remembered each one and how much pleasure they brought me. The first time I was introduced to them was in fourth grade when the teacher would read them aloud to us every day. I was hooked. I was just wondering which one is your favorite and why. Mine is "The Long Winter". I just love hearing how the family made do during that horrible, cold, winter when no supplies or firewood was available. (I may use it as a resource book when we move into the cabin! I hear it gets to 30 below in our part of Montana sometimes!)
Tell us your Little House stories!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  6:41:14 PM  Show Profile
The Long Winter is my favorite too..and the one that stuck with me long after I read it as a child! Over the years I have actually had some long winters...not as bad as theirs of course, but it made me realise that things could be alot worse, and what is important is family.

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:08:03 PM  Show Profile
I like all of them...it would be hard to pick just one. When my girls were younger, we used the books as our main schooling...if Ma made butter, we made butter. About the only thing we didn't do was make the balloon out of the pig bladder!!

I tend to think about Laura's life a lot...trying to figure out what she would do in a situation I may be experiencing or just thinking about all she went through. I have it so much easier than she ever did!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:33:57 PM  Show Profile
I like Little House in the Big Woods and Long winter. All of them are so great! When I was at Bible College,many moons ago I met 2 girsl who were couisins who came from Faith, SD. Yep! They were Ingalls. I was more excited about their ancestory than they were.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

NicoleG
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Illinois
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  7:55:23 PM  Show Profile
I like all of them too but my favorite is probably the first one "Little House in the Big Woods". I love the very beginning when she says something like "as far as you could go in a day or a week, there were woods and the animals that lived in them"
That would be wonderful.....
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I hadn't read any of them until a few weeks ago! I'm totally hooked on the Little House TV show and am just now starting to read the books! Right now I'm reading Farmer Boy. Wow, I would be sooo excited if I found out I were an Ingalls! Heck, I'm excited that my name is Laura Elizabeth!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2006 :  11:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I have been addicted to her books since I was in 4th grade. She passed away right before I was born, so I used to pretend I was her reincarnation (hey, I was a kid with a big imagination, okay?)

BUT my paternal ancestry is all from South Dakota same area and about the same time Laura's family lived there. I like to think maybe we are related or friends or something!

Can't pick a favorite book.All of them are.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  04:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey Laura Elizabeth, you mentioned the tv series. Did you know you can purchase all the seasons on dvd? We started out a few years ago with buying a season at a time. My girls had never seen the show but had read the books. It was funny how they would critique the differences between the show and the books.

At some point we had all the sets that had been released. It was awful waiting for the next set. Sometimes it was months before another set was released. We'd just watch the others over again. We recently purchased season 9. It's been our family routine to watch an episode after supper. It's fun to get mad at Nellie all over again!

I've bought some of the books in the series "The Caroline Years" but we haven't read them yet. We also have a couple of the ones from Rose's series....not read yet, either.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you gone to DeSmet and visited her home and school? I believe that is where the book "On the Shores of Silver Lake" is set. The surveyor's house is there as well as her parents house when they were older. VERY interesting and well done.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  5:21:04 PM  Show Profile
I've been to DeSmet!!! It was twenty years ago (eeghads!) and I was living in South Dakota for the summer (I was a park ranger at Wind Cave in the southern Black Hills). The nine year old neighbor girl and I did an overnight trip there. It was GREAT!

I also drove through (by?) Walnut Grove, Minnesota a couple of years later. Not much there, at least at that time, from what I remember.

When I was in DeSmet I got some more biographical books about the Ingalls family. I think they were written by Richard Anderson (or something like that). I need to unearth them as my new co-worker is also into the prairie/farm life and is a big Laura Ingalls fan, too.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
It's funny because I was just looking at the DVD sets today at the mall! It's on 2-3 times a day, but they don't show them in order! So I would really like to get the DVDs. And I'm definitely going to read all the books! I've never been to any of Laura Ingall's homes, but would like to!

Much love,
Laura Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2006 :  7:12:25 PM  Show Profile
I think Long Winter (brrr...) and/or ALL of them!! My daughter and I have read them through twice. First, for "fun", second time (two years later) as her history unit for third grade.
Catherine, I have bought a few of the "Caroline Years" books, but they haven't caught us the way the LH books did!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  10:11:07 AM  Show Profile
If you are ever in MN you should check out the farm in Walnut Grove and the museum. I think there is even a road named after her. In the summer they have a pagent, festivals and camping which is really neat.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:29:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Small town girl!!! Neat to have another Laura enthusiast here!!! I really encourage you to go to the welcome wagon section and introduce yourself..we would all love to meet you...I am glad you found us!!
I used to live in Minnesota and dang it all..never did get to go to Walnut grove!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  12:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Have any of you Farm Girls been to the house in Mansfield MO? That is high on my wish list along with DeSmet!!
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2006 :  9:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Just had to mention, today is Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthday! Happy Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2006 :  09:16:16 AM  Show Profile
I loved all of them.

"The Long, Cold Winter" gives me chills everytime I read it, even in the Summer!!!

"Farmer Boy" makes me want to eat. She spends so much of the book describing food. I read once that she was fascinated by Almanzo's upbringing because he didn't experience the "hardscrabble" she did and never went to bed hungry.

"Little House in the Big Woods" more than any of the other's seems, to me, to capture the feelings and emotions of a little girl.

But, my favorite is "On the Banks of Plum Creek." For me it brings back memories of all the camping we did when my parents let us play outside from dawn to dusk and we never tired of picking and eating wild fruit, fishing with our homemade fishing poles, and just lying on our backs and watching the clouds go by.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite Laura Ingalls Wilder book? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page