Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Farmgirl Chapter questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Farmgirl Chapter questions Next Topic  

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  8:39:59 PM  Show Profile
How many members do you have, how often do you meet, what do you do in your meetings? I'm trying to start a group, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew! Thanks in advance for your help!

Cherian
Durango Farmgirl

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Cherian,
We have a very strong farmgirl chapter here in Prosser, but I tell girls all the time if you have 2 "you can be a chapter... the number doesnt matter. We meet every third Thursday for our regular meeting, and try to add a "field trip" in.. so we are getting together as a big group 2 times a month.. We do projects that we have found in MaryJanes books or magazine... Like when we all did the duct tape dress forms.... ahahha!!! Such a hoot.

Currently we send out a little "email" letting the gals know when and where and what the topic is each month and if there is a gal that is the expert in the group she will usually lead the class.. so it doesnt fall on just a few.... it has worked well.

I would say just jump in, you will find that your group will form it's own "personality", which will quickly show you what will work best for you! Good luck, and email me if you have questions, I would be happy to help!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  06:59:18 AM  Show Profile
Hi Cherian!

Our chapter is much smaller than the group up in Prosser. We have about 6 members now. When the first three of us ever met, about 9 months ago, we had decided that we would keep things very informal. So far for us that has worked pretty well. We meet generally on the Fourth Monday evening of the month. Two of the members own a CSA and sell at the local green-farmers market so their end of the week schedules are hectic. Anyways... mainly just sit and visit. We have been meeting at my home primarily but have also met after hours at a local antique store that has a lovely sitting area.
One of the things that we are planning in the near future is to make a honey sugar scrub, creating duct/paper tape sewing models and hosting an Earth Dinner this fall. I think that since our first year is almost upon us I will be doing more to expand our group a bit.

Cherian having a chapter is so much fun. For me so far it has not really been so much about what we do but rather the fellowship of the sisterhood that bonds us together. So I suggest you just go for it! Have fun and don't get to discouraged if it just starts out as you and your best friend, you know the one that thinks you are a little crazy but figures that since you will have food and drink she will come support your crazy notions of utopia on a farm of your own one day.

Rene is a great source of help and inspiration so definitly don't hesitate to seek her out and ask for help and suggestions. I may have never taken the leap had it not been for her! I would also be more than willing to answer any other questions you may have.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 26 2009 :  09:14:34 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Christina~ thanks for the kind words.. and Cherian; Christina is right.. Keep it loose and fun, just girlfriends getting together.. it seems to work well for all~

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  11:04:57 PM  Show Profile
I just started a chapter as well, and also am organizer and co organizer of some meetup groups, so I think monthly meetings are a good way to start, but am looking for ideas, or would like to hear what other chapters are up to!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  07:58:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi New Chapter Leaders..
Here is what we do here in Prosser. We find the ideas in four ways:
1) What is in the current MJ Magazine
2) What is in the MJ Books
3) What badges are we working
4) What is the interrest of the group

We are at a point where we have one Main meeting and then some little field trips or smaller gathers where gals themselves lead it. It has truly grown organically. Hope this helps! My best advice is, "dont make it difficult" Keep it fun and easy!

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  08:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Farmgirl Chapter questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page