Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Got A Rooster (Really Already Had One)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Got A Rooster (Really Already Had One) Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  7:46:18 PM  Show Profile
I do have a rooster after all. One of the auction chickens has turned out to be a roo. I kinda thought it might be because of the pretty long neck feathers. And he's so sweet. I've been calling him Sweeti chicken before this because he lets me pick him up and pet him. That name will have to be changed now. He's the one with the crooked feet, poor thing. But today I was looking out at the chicken yard and saw him on top of a hen. And they weren't fighting either! I guess he just never showed himself like this when Russell Crowe was around, so I did not know. I have not heard a crow yet, though. He is still pretty young so maybe soon now. I am happy that I have a rooster again. Well, I actually had 2 and did not know it. He looks a little like a Rhode Island Red, so he may have to go to a new home later when my Buff gets bigger and if I get a Barred Rock roo out of this new herd of chicks. I'm not a big fan of the RIR's.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  7:51:57 PM  Show Profile
Gotcha Kris. I can remember my run-in with an RIR rooster when I was about six. Good thing I had my jumprope with the wooden handles. I really klunked him a good one. Gave me space to get away.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  8:23:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kristin- how are the Russel Crowe chicks shaping up? Any JR's known yet?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
They are 3 weeks old now and all scruffy looking. I've had them in the hen house all this time with the momma but the momma and 1 of the black ones flies over the door. So today I left the door open so they can all go out. The ducks are in the yard, so they can't bother them. I'll just have to keep an eye on them. As far as roosters, I can't tell for a long time what they'll be. Til they crow, then I know. So it will be several months. But they all look good so far.

Now the Buff chicks are all getting their feathers, too. They are all the same age as the others. The roo has a green spot they put on his head so we'd know who he is. But he is so much smaller than the girls and he still has no tail. Weird, but true. I wonder why. I have never had these kind before so I am not sure if that is a normal trait for them. But all of them are doing great. I had to move then to a bigger cage and put sticks for them to roost on. They like that.

But the RIR roo is a sweetie. He may just be called Sweetie anyway. I do like him so far. But I don't want too many roosters here. They just fight and it's not a good thing for them or me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  10:17:13 AM  Show Profile
Oh. My. Goodness. Kris! The hubs has been very discouraging every time I have ever mentioned getting chickens. In his mind, it's more work than necessary for eggs when you can just buy them. Every argument I ever made never phased him. Every promise I ever made never phased him. He is right in his reasoning to a certain degree that I usually bite off more than I can chew. And I sometimes get side-tracked and don't quite finish some things I start. I kinda get on a kick about something and before I realize it, something else has got my attention. But I've wanted chickens for years now. (And the bees.) I've even wanted a few head of cattle after a friend paid the hubs for some work he'd done with fresh butchered beef. (YUM! Best beef I've ever had!) We have 39 freakin' acres that is doing nothing! The hubs is very "money-making-minded" and I get so frustrated that we have all this property that could be making us money and he won't put it to good use. His idea of it making us money is to sell it all. I have mixed emotions about that because I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE where we live, we were just short-sighted in building a log cabin.

But I digress...last night he told me he was opposed to the chickens because he felt he'd end up doing all the "work". I told him I might need help, but have not intentions of him doing all the work himself, don't I take care of my garden? And he relented! He didn't quite say "yes", but he didn't say "absolutely not"! So I've decided that I'm just gonna do this. Once they're here, they're here. Kinda like our little dog. The hubs was all against me rescuing Harley, but Harley is now Brian's baby. Brian can't go to bed without him! And where I was once first in line to get attention when Brian gets home, now Harley gets it!

So, I need to be well-armed. Would you be willing to help me?

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  12:40:38 PM  Show Profile
I'll help if I can. I have had chickens several years now and I just kind of learned as I went. It is a learn-as-ya-go sort of thing. No 2 days are ever the same. But really, chickens are about the easiest creature to have on a farm. They can pretty much take care of themselves. You could go off for a week or two and they'll be fine as long as they have water. And most of them are duel purpose, too. Eggs and meat.

And there are alot of farmgirls here that have chickens, too. So you will have all the help ya need. Get thee some chickens now! Well, first ya better build a hen house and have all that ready, then get thee some chickens. What are ya waitin't for?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  7:30:14 PM  Show Profile
The hen house, I guess! Now that I will need the hubs help with! Thanks so much, Kris!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Got A Rooster (Really Already Had One) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page