Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 need for help, please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need for help, please Next Topic  

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  9:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Happy May 10. Hope all of you had a really nice day! I sure did. I found a beautiful embroidered piece in a Salvation Army thrift store a few days ago. The piece is still on the wall of the store. They don't want to let it go without knowing what it is, and value. I believe it is a pre-stamped kit. Maybe it is an embroidered "kitchen helper". Maybe 2 or 3' x 3 or 4'. It is in perfect condition. White cotton background with a bit of wisdom stitched around a family dining scene, with beautiful floral motifs. It's truly. They were hung on the kitchen walls for decoration, and to catch spatters from cooking and baking. Then could be washed and rehung. The puzzle is the embroidery writing is worked in another language. Maybe Czek or Slavic. I'm not having any luck with translating. "Komo se u nasnilebi at si lo loma jinak zaredi." Can anyone out there translate this or recognize the language? I think I'm on a mission, and am seeing this piece in my sleep.:) Thanks for any help!

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  10:52:35 PM  Show Profile
I googled the words and could not find a match with any of the countries listed.
I understand when something speaks to you and haunts you until it comes home. Sometimes, if I'm not sure, I will wait a day to see if it's still in my mind and waiting for me. If so, it's meant to be.
The charities are getting wiser about donations of valuable items..and some they just think are valuable. Some still think Ty Beanies are worth a lot.
I think if it's on the wall, it should be for sale. Offer them what you think it's worth to you and maybe they'll sell.
I was haunted by an art deco diamond ring at Goodwill. They didn't know what they wanted to do...put it on eBay or sell from the store. First appraisal was low cause the dealer wanted to buy it and the other two pieces. That's so unethical. I asked about it every week and they finally called and told me I could buy it for about half the correct appraisal. All were kept in their safe, so I wasn't worried about it being sold to someone else. I was going to try it on and ask if I could sleep on it to be sure, cause it was a substantial amount. Once it was on my finger, it felt so right and I've not taken it off except to clean it.
I do hope it works out right for you-please let us know.
and welcome to MaryJane's Farm.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  07:33:23 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for taking my quest seriously. I also googled and didn't find a match. I e-mailed the czech museum in Cedar Rapids, and hope they will write back. I don't really need the piece for myself. But, I do think such a lovely embroidery should be preserved after all the work that was put into it. Have a super day.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  07:53:34 AM  Show Profile
I think it's Czech or Polish (or Latvian). The word "loma" is used in several different languages--it can be Spanish, Latvian or even Finnish (each has a totally different meaning). The word nasnilebi is an extension of nasnil which can be Spanish, portuguese, polish and even islamic.
Whew. You've got quite a puzzle! I'm very curious as to what it says! Please keep us posted!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  08:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Well, I googled language translation and found a few sites..
one site says the language is Serbian and 2 others say it's Czech

If you translate it with the Serbian.. half of it comes through but it's gibberish -
"Casualness yourself from nasnilebi at them lo rotten jinak ordain"

The Czech translation doesn't read through. I hope the Museum will be able to help you. If all of their records didn't get washed away! I'm from that area myself, and my mom is in C.R. I know Czech village got hit pretty hard. The museum is on a little rise and I heard they were trying to save as much as they could.

Hope you find the answer, it's got me curious now!

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  08:21:46 AM  Show Profile
Judith, Welcome to farmgirl connection!! I tried to figure it out last night and the one thing I found said it was Czech, but I could not get a complete translation! Good luck and I will see if I can find anything else!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  3:36:31 PM  Show Profile
Judith,
Welcome to farmgirls. Isn't it wonderful to see all those girls out there willing to help. Good Luck in your search and sorry I know nothing about your sampler. Thrift store shopping is so much more fun than buying something new. Let us all know when you have an answer.

barnagainkristin

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." John Muir
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to each of you ladies for the encouragement, and your efforts to translate this piece. I got a little braver this morning and stopped at the thrift store again before work. (different workers) I asked if the embroidery was for sale. The workers said they thought so, but couldn't find a tag. They did sell it to me for only $3.00, and a promise to let them know what it translates to. Now that I have it at home..I see it reads: "Komu se u na's (little mark should be over the a) nelibi at To si Lo doma jinak zaridi" ..I think. Not so sure about the letter T in -at or To- as they are quite fancy and I don't know the language. A co-worker e-mailed her foreign language instructor for help. I still believe it is Czech, and will certainly let all of you know as soon as we find out. I'll also see if I can get one of the grandkids to take a picture of it for me to post here. Thanks, again.
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Yay! What a steal!! I'm glad they finally sold it to you. Can't wait to see a picture :)

A Bear of Their Own

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  12:41:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm sooooo glad that you are the "guardian" of this piece, Judith! You will actually love and care for it (unlike whomever gave it to the thrift!!!!). I found that Komu se u is something like "Who's in the..."

Please keep us posted...I'm very curious!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  4:37:01 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jonni. I think you are correct about "Komu es u"..now, if we can go further. Yes, I do love handwork. I have collected magazines on the homearts from 1900 forward. Can't bear to tear them apart to frame or sell as individual pieces. They are a lot of fun to curl up with in an evening. I usually find those at thrift stores. (sigh) People won't know what they have missed. I wonder what will happen when my grandkids or greats find them years from now. Haven't heard from the museum or teacher yet.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:18:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. Here is the latest embroidery update: While I was at work today my dh surfed the net and found a site http://www.translation-services-usa.com/free_translator.php. He found a Czech to English translation for "komu se u nas nelibi at si to doma jinak zaridi". Literal translation is "with us who do not litke it at home otherwise arrange". Now, I just have to figure out what it really means. Again, I'll let you know. Thanks, again.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  07:20:13 AM  Show Profile
To all of you ladies who were interested: I received a reply from the Czech museum. They have a "splashcloth" that says this in their collection. A Czech speaking employee recognized it right away. They also had reproductions for sale in their store. It means: "Whoever does not like our home-go and arrange yours better". a splashcloth is a linen or cotton piece that hangs behind the sink to protect the wall from splashes of water. Now, I will go back to the thrift store to let them know. Have a super day!
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  08:09:44 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful adventure, Judith! And now you have a treasure! I love that saying, too. Mind if I "borrow" it for my own embroidery work?

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile
YAY! Glad you found an answer! I too love the saying :) It has a nice way of saying Get Lost lol

A Bear of Their Own

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:06:45 PM  Show Profile
I loved reading all of this! Thanks for posting Judith;) Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

couggardengirl
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Bridgette
Clarkston WA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:18:58 PM  Show Profile
What an exciting treasure hunt! So glad you now know what it says.
Go to Top of Page

Lorie Marler
True Blue Farmgirl

265 Posts

Lorie
Guymon Ok
USA
265 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:34:41 PM  Show Profile
Can we see pics?? It sounds amazing!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic need for help, please Next Topic