lilliesfarm
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Lillie
Jones OK
USA
43 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  12:20:32 PM  Show Profile
A few days ago I was trying to come up with a new idea for using cereal, mac and cheese, as well as other boxes. Throwing them away seemed so wasteful when the cardboard the boxes were made of could still be used for something. I've used the boxes in the past for cutting out applique patterns for my sewing projects, but now with a growing grandson I came up with another idea, and this idea may help those of you with small children as well.
Once the cereal is done, take the box and stuff it with old news paper to give it some added strength and then tape it shut. Then take the box and wrap it with brown paper and tape it securely. Once you've collected enough boxes, your little one can use their imagination to build forts or even castles. Because the boxes are wrapped in brown paper they can also color on them.
This idea not only cuts down on trash, but it's also an inexpensive way for your child or grandchild to enjoy a recycled toy.

God bless

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  1:24:24 PM  Show Profile
That's very clever. I know we had a set of building blocks when I was a kid that were just corrugated cardboard with a "brickish" pattern on the outside. This should work just as well.
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  5:36:23 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Lillie. I've got grand kids who will be old enough for this soon. Thanks for sharing.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  3:27:48 PM  Show Profile
Just a note from experience: Be sure to stuff them really well with newspaper, as kids will stand on them. I used this idea in my kindergarten class when budget constraints prevented us from buying "big blocks". They held up well. I didn't cover them with brown paper, I asked parents to save used gift wrap.

quote:
Originally posted by lilliesfarm

Once the cereal is done, take the box and stuff it with old news paper to give it some added strength and then tape it shut. Then take the box and wrap it with brown paper and tape it securely. Once you've collected enough boxes, your little one can use their imagination to build forts or even castles. Because the boxes are wrapped in brown paper they can also color on them.
This idea not only cuts down on trash, but it's also an inexpensive way for your child or grandchild to enjoy a recycled toy.

God bless

If it's not illegal, unsafe, or immoral, why not try anything once? Who knows? You may come back for a second helping!
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Recycling boxes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page