mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  1:33:28 PM  Show Profile
What is made in America? Other than the wonderful homemade stuff you girls make?
EVERYTHING or parts for evertything comes from China, India, Indonesia, and other developing countries where they lock children up for ten hours at a time and pay them a dollar a day. And most companies, you may think are "American" are foreign owned.
Did you know NESTLE, the Swiss owned largest food company, owns CARNATION< GERBER, PURINA, STOUFFERS,L'OREAL more? So when you think you're buying Purenia dog food you are putting money in some Swiss peoples hands. What matters most now is what companies are not destroying the planet and treating their workers like slaves.
I hope they come out with a product grading label that tells us about a product that is earth and people friendly. I'll bet we'll be saying Adios to MONSANTO then!
How did I get off on my Monsanto rant when we are supposed to be talking about cars? Sorry, Can't helpmyself sometimes.
My girlfreind sells electric cars (pros and cons- producing elecetricity is a big poluter at the moment)... But I'd get one if they had more than a 50 mile range, and I'd have to carry my HONDA generator to get home.
Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  2:00:36 PM  Show Profile
My son calls my '99 GMC 1/2 ton 4WD P/U (Sierra) the sheepmobile. I have sheep stickers and signs and farm license plate on it. But I say go ahead and laugh..it's paid for, advertises our farm, hauls trailers, feed and has a border collie in the back seat all with 154,000 miles and a set of chains in the toolbox along with a rope, shovel, hammer and extra blankets and coats in case I get stranded. It's taking me to Wyoming in 2 weeks so let's cross our fingers! I've put 2 sets of brakes on it, 4 sets of tires, had a few mechanical fixes but until it costs more to fix than it's worth I'll be driving it. Mileage is around 20 on the highway. Still shines up like a new penny too.

Tracy, you had me laughing hard at your story! I've driven a "boat" car before too, possibly in better shape than yours. I remember you couldn't reach the kids in the back seat while driving to help them out or hand them something...or to improve their attitude! The AC worked so good it would freeze you right out of there but didn't get to pass up too many gas stations either...those cars are made for cruising.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://cookecreeksheep.blogspot.com
http://cookecreekwool.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile
>> Before I had the wagon, we had a 1990 Geo Metro, and when I finally had to get rid of it, it had over 230,000 miles on it!! <<

I bought a 1994 Sable Station Wagon, which I call "The Very Fine Automobile.." -- It can be packed with as much as you can stuff in the back..I know I've written about how low to the tires I've packed that thing with mulch, potting soil..

When I got rid of the metro, I actually traded some work on the Very Fine Automobile for the metro -- that's how little value was on the metro!! -- a mechanic I knew did the work, so my wagon could pass the virginia state inspection. Saved me nearly $100 --

And by the way -- the guy sold the Geo for $100 to somebody. I yelled at him!! -- "You Sold My Car!!??" "Well...you said it was a trade, actually..."

Men!!

-- Laurianne --
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  11:53:32 AM  Show Profile
I have a '03 Chevy Impala, don't really like it. After my Husband passed away, I started driving it and my daughter drove our van. We traded the van in, it was old, for a car for her. I miss my van. I used it like a truck. My plans are once I get resettled is to get a medium sized truck or something comparable.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  12:38:26 PM  Show Profile
A 1997 Chevy Yukon. Plain vanilla variety, but I absolutely can't live without it. I have to haul feed, groceries, plants, junkin' finds, small animals and no telling what else.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  12:55:33 PM  Show Profile
2006 PT Cruiser *Marine Blue*

Diana, I have to agree...fold the seats down and take out the shelf in the back and you can pack this thing for breathing room only..I should have taken a picture of her on this trip to the cabin...it was unbelievable how much I had in her. And yes, as goofy as it sounds, my cars are always a "he or she"...her name is Little Blue Lady.

Queen of Dreamsz ~ keeper of dream kingdom
* * * * * * www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com * * * * * *

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Albert Einstein ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  7:32:11 PM  Show Profile
I may be an anomoly but I love my 2002 Pontiak Aztek. I LOVE IT!!! I paid cash for it, luckily, and have had a few repairs which my wonderful husband has been able to do on his own without taking it in to the dealer. Eight years of trouble-free performance, and haven't had any issues that kept me off the road. It has really been a great car.

It got the award for the 3rd ugliest car of all time, but everyone who owns them actually LOVES them. See [htm]http://www.aztekfanclub.com [/htm]

Since they don't make Azteks any more, I am considering a Chevy Equinox or a GMC Terrain as a replacement. They get 32 MPG!!!!! Amazing mileage at 32 MPG, and lots of room to transport compost, plants or farmer's market stuff in the back (or the grandkids!)

For those who mention that foreign manufactures have factories in the US, please remember that the profits from the sales flow back to the home country and do not add to the money circulating in the US.

Buy American, support US workers, and also remember that the capital for investment should stay in the US.

I've worked for GM clients for 30 years and really believe in the integrity of the company and the way they treat their workers, their safety record, etc. They got a bad rap from decisions made in the 80's but the last 10-15 years have shown amazing gains in quality and safety, don't think there is another company that is anywhere near them. I am scared to death about the current situation and what it will do to our economy if GM fails.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  05:31:53 AM  Show Profile
On the buy American thing...until this Volvo, I've never owned a foreign car. Virtually all Chrysler, except one Chevy Malibu. I prefer buying American products whenever possible, but I'm discouraged by the poor quality of Big 3 autos these days.

Of course, I've never bought a car that was less than 10 years old, so any profit that was made from it is way back in history at that point.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  06:06:07 AM  Show Profile
2004 Ford Escape ... love it
a baby blue retro woman bicycle .... love it too
and on the back of a Goldwing ... my fav
Tammyb #541
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  2:51:39 PM  Show Profile
By necessity we drive a '96 Chevy Tahoe (great except for the mileage) and a '01 Toyota Camry. We hope to buy in a few years a hybrid. Maybe they will be perfected by then and not cost so much! For now it is great not to have a car payment!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:11:39 PM  Show Profile
I am really excited by the new SUV's coming out from GM - Equinox from Chevy and Terrain from GMC. MPG on the Equinox is 32, just confirmed by independent testing..

They are making the 2010 models cost less than the 2009 - really good deals, especially if the "Cash for Clunkers" deals go through,trade in a vehicle getting less than 18 MPG and get a new one, get a tax credit...

I wish the tax credit and vehicles were available now!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 13 2009 :  7:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jsmi. You put 154,000 on your GMC truck. Back in 1998 I bought a new Suburban LT-Looooded. I put 389,000 miles on it, kept it serviced,many new tires.U-joint, general upkeep. It was an awesome vehicle. Looked like new when I sold it in 2005. It was running perfect and I sold it to a dealer who shipped it to Saudi Arabia. Had a 1991 Ford Aerostar Van I put 350,000 on and ran perfect until daughter wrecked it in college in 2002. We drive our vehicles more miles than most folks and take great care in maintaining them.

www.cottagebythebay.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile
my car is a 2002 BMW, however, my daughter drives my car and i drive her car which is a 2008 or 09 lexus. i bought my car new and intended to just keep it, i really like it, HOWEVER...when jill turned 16 last year, her dad bought her a new lexus but it is a stick. she can drive it, but only in a wide open parking lot, that is flat without anything in the way for about a mile around! so since i would prefer her to stay alive, i have her drive MY car. the only problem is that she has hit, or banged up 3 out of the 4 corners of my car. destroyed two rims (ouch, they were expensive!) had 3 or 4 flat tires in the past year....her foot slipped off the brake and onto the gas while it was still in drive so she went through a chain link fence at school (that was a real fun meeting with the head master) she almost took down the wall of the garage that separates the two garage doors (dick could not figure how she ever got the car at THAT angle!) she came racing down our dirt road at 40-some miles per hour and we yelled at her for going so quickly, she told us she was trying to get home before the gas got totally on empty! i'm still hoping that she'll end up her car when she goes to college next year, however, i have a feeling that i'll be looking for a new car!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile
Right now we only have 1 vehicle: a Chevy Silverado. I love it. My husband does have a couple of projects (a 55 GMC PU, An International Scout II, and an International PU)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - May 30 2009 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile
I drive an Island Blue 2001 Ford F150 crew cab pickup with a tonue cover. Not sure if that is how you spell tonue. You know one of those cover things so the back end is like a trunk. I love it. My husband wants to trade it in but no way am I letting him. It has chrome pipes for running boards and a sign on the back that says "My Other Car is a Horse". I love it. It will pull a trailer with four horses and keep the tack dry all at the same time. I get offers to buy it at least once a month. Cowgirls do drive trucks.

Farmgirl Sister 572

May the force of the horse be with you.
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  05:05:06 AM  Show Profile
I have a purple 1996 Ford Ranger pickup, named Miss Violet. She's my baby.

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  06:01:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I used to always prefer a pickup truck, but since I got my Subaru outback, I love it. It is perfect for this part of the country with snow, freezing rain, and windy, narrow roads.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:17:24 AM  Show Profile
I drive a new Volkswagon Toureg! And LOVE it!!!
Go to Top of Page

pnygrl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Adrianne
Chazy New York
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:21:38 AM  Show Profile
I here that Teresa Sue!!! I always had trucks but I got a subaru outback in 2007 and I LOVE it!!! great for family outings, grocery shopping and even trucking dogs, goats and hay bales. Gets pretty good mileage too. I still miss my trucks (its hard to put a couch in a station wagon but I think its a pretty good car :)
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile
I love station wagons and hatchbacks. They have the advantages of a smaller car - easy parking, good gas mileage, etc. But they can haul lots of stuff. If they are big enough, you can sleep in them in a pinch. I've had a Dodge Monaco wagon (which we drove from Philadelphia to Colorado and back, sleeping in the back all the way), two Plymouth Satellite wagons, and now a Volvo 240 wagon and a Geo Metro hatchback. I could see myself buying a truck for some applications, but no way will I go back to a standard 2 door or 4 door sedan.
Go to Top of Page

berrygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Angela
Hendersonville NC
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  4:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Send berrygirl a Yahoo! Message
I love small cars. I drive a Suzuki Forenza 2008. great gas mileage, plenty of room and you can change between manual and automatic drive.

The good old days are the ones you live today...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you drive??? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page