Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you drive??? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chinook Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

63 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  6:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Chinook Cottage a Yahoo! Message
I am starting to think about getting a new car or small suv later this year..
I was wondering what do you drive and why do you like it??
Thanks,Lisa

Chinook Cottage
http://chinookcottage.blogspot.com/
FarmGirl #553

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I drive a Nissan Versa - manual transmission, 'cause it was cheap (brand new even) and it gets 33 - 37 mpg. I love it, had it for a year, it is very economical, roomy inside, big trunk - enough to haul a strawbale - and comfy for long trips, even for my 6 foot 3 husband
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:16:49 PM  Show Profile
2009 Jeep Wrangler! LOVE IT! This is my 3rd Wrangler!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I have had an Isuzu Trooper for years now. I love it. As alot of you know, I have hauled calves, sheep (4 grown sheep), goats, pigs, all kinds of poultry, several hundred pounds of grain for all these critters, plus 5 bales of hay will fit nicely, too. The seats fold down and back. It is a very roomy vehicle. I would love to have an old VW camper and another VW beetle. Or even a Subaru Outback, because that's the name of my farm. But until then I will keep my trusty ole Trooper.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:27:45 PM  Show Profile
05 Chevy Equinox, the color of the Emaeald City. It was roomier and less $ than subaru Outbacks. I have to have AWD up here. It has a hatchback space with an adjustable table that divides it up. It is perfect for changing diapers in nicer weather.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  7:29:25 PM  Show Profile
07 Dodge Durango love it
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

GreenMeAlison
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Alison
Longmont CO
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  8:48:02 PM  Show Profile
We have 2007 Toyota RAV4 (first year of current version). Comfortable, a huge amount of cargo space with the back seat down (I've moved 8 dining room chairs, beds, tables, all sorts of things). And decent mileage as we average around 22 mpg (we have the V6) with partial city/partial high way driving and as an AWD it handles great in the snow. I also like that it drives more like a car and has lots of zoom when you need it...I can definitely see why it comes out on top for a crossover SUV in rankings. My only complaint would be that it is not a hybrid, so it doesn't get better mileage. My cousin has a Ford Escape Hybrid and loves it too...

Alison

Suburban tree hugger with three hearts: one on the farm, one in the city, and one in the woods!

http://www.greenme.vg
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  8:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Honestly, I drive a piece of CRAP! It's a 1980-something Cadillac Brougham (sp?) (HUGE grandma car!) with a "Salvage" title (meaning the plates had been turned in at some point and my husband had to get new ones for it) NOTHING on it works right. The radio goes on and off with every bump in the road, the headliner is falling down and it looks like swirling black snow inside if you roll the windows down. The windshield wipers will turn on, but they'll only turn OFF when they want to. The door locks quit working about a month or two ago, and the mirrors won't move anymore either. (Everything in the car is electric-- and there is OBVIOUSLY a "Gremlin" in the system!).

So far I've had a leaky tire, a FLAT tire (right in the parking lot of Wal-Mart) a RIPPLED tire (it was separating). I've been locked out of it once because the "Door Dinger" quit working and I hadn't realized I'd left the keys in the ignition until I left the store (again, Wal-Mart. I spend waaaaay too much time in that store) the water pump went out, the rear view mirror fell off in my hand one Sunday right after church, AND the shocks in the back have gone kaput so it looks like a kid in a saggy diaper .... sigh....

I drove a Toyota Camry for 15 yrs (bought brand spankin new in 1990) and I LOVED it. It was a great little four door family car. We never had a single problem with it until it was 12yrs old-- the clutch went out. At the age of 15 both CV joints went out. Something else happened to, but I can't remember what-- it got parked and sat behind the shop for two years.

My husband bought me a Mini van (Dodge Caravan) and I cracked the block on it when it over heated in 108* weather. He replaced the engine, but then one of the tie rods needed to be replaced -- it started EATING TIRES -- and he refused to work on it again. So I was back in the Toyota. It LOOKED like crap with it's cracked windshield and different colored trunk (I'd gotten mad at DH and slammed into the front of his old pick-up truck in the driveway so he replaced the trunk lid. The car was a pretty Maroon color -- the trunk lid was an UGLY COPPER BROWN!!), but I was ok with that.

THEN he got me a Chevy Lumina. I was REALLY MAD at him too because I had just started a new job and wanted to buy MY OWN car!! I wanted to pick it out myself, but he'd already bought the other car from a co-worker. I really LIKED that car though. It got good gas milage and it was pretty roomy and had nice tinted windows. About 8 months ago it blew a head gasket. Now I'm driving a NIGHTMARE on wheels! If THIS car breaks down on me, I fear the only thing left for me to drive is the 1960-something MOTOR HOME!!!! I swear my husband is PUNISHING ME!! That's what I get for marrying a MECHANIC I guess.... you know, "the plummers toilet never flushes"... and the Mechanics wife drives JUNK that's held together with rubber bands, chewing gum and DUCT TAPE!! Don't mind me, please. I'm feeling a bit peevish today.

Happy car hunting Lisa! ~~~ HUGS! ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  9:01:00 PM  Show Profile
I drive a '98 Ford Windstar Mini van. ugh. What I WANT to drive is a Jeep. Someday I will..but need the seat belts and no car payment right now. But someday for sure..I will have my green Jeep Wrangler unlimited...with black trim.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  9:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Yukon XL aka suburban, great for hauling kids and cows and driving in the snow. Would like to drive a big ol lifted pickup, but not feasible now because of all the car seats. I tend not to be too eco friendly... don't tell Mary Jane!
Go to Top of Page

Merry
True Blue Farmgirl

765 Posts

Merry
Ankeny Iowa
USA
765 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  9:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Tracy you are a hoot!

I drive a 95 Honda accord, its been a great car.

http://afarminmyheart.blogspot.com/

"Nobody has ever measured, not even poets how much the heart can hold."
Zelda Fitzgerald
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  11:51:34 PM  Show Profile
A bike :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  03:26:09 AM  Show Profile
If roads and people around here were a bit more bike friendly, that's what I'd prefer to get to work on. As it is, hubby does all the cycling these days.

So I drive a 96 Toyota Tacoma with a nice lins camper shell.

I put everything in here.

Gas is fair, roominess for 1 person is ok. I just love this truck. Best of all, it's been paid off for almost 8 years now. I'll probably drive it into the ground and get an engine rebuild. So far it runs like a dream.

I figure if the Aboriginies in the Australian bush drive toyota, it must be good! (Was there in '89 and they drove us around in 1970's Toyota jeeps).

Hubby drives a Chevy Silverado--- that's also paid off. It rides like a Cadillac and is MUCH roomier. So we carpool in it.

Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  05:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Tracy I feel your pain. You reminded me of one of the jallopies I had to drive while I was married to my ex who considered himself to be a backyard mechanic. It was a Buick LeSabre, can't remember the year. The back left strut was completely locked up so when you made a turn, you made it on three wheels instead of 4. Then I had to hold the head light switch in to keep the lights on, had to let off the head lights when I wanted to stop or the brake lights wouldn't work, flip the turn signal switch back and forth to get them to work righ. Oh and the defroster was wired to a toggle switch on the dash in an attempt to defrost the windshield. I am so glad I only had to drive a few blocks to work back then. And I refused to drive it any further than that.

Now I drive a 2000 Ford Windstar. I like it. It's paid for and has plenty of room for me and the kids. It does pretty good on gas, but my honey man's Chevy ZR2 4WD does better on gas. Does that make any sense?

Melanie

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  05:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I drive a '98 Ford F150, this is my second one and this one just got a new engine put in it - ugh! But that's how much I love it! My hubby and I both have them, it's the only way we can get through the snow out here in the winters, the driveway (clay mud) in the rainy spring and the hay fields in the summer!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:35:27 AM  Show Profile
I have a 2007 Honda CRV. It gets 30 mpg. It is the perfect small SUV for me. I also haul goats, baby pigs, but mostly my large Bernese Mt Dog and Great Pyrenes dog.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:40:52 AM  Show Profile
I love my Honda...even though it's a 1996 and has 248,000 miles!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:54:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a Subaru Forrester. I love it. We have had ice and snow the past few winters and I have not had to put chains on, the car handles well. We take it on all of our vacations and it gets good gas mileage. The only thing that we found that was a draw back to the car this winter is that if you get 2' + of snow, it can get high centered because it is kinda low. It seats four adults comfortably. Has plenty of cargo space in the back and it has a cigarette outlet in the back so you can plug in a refriderator/cooler. We bought a coleman one a few years ago and it works great for long trips. Has lots of head room too.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  07:28:54 AM  Show Profile
We have a '01 F-350 crew cab diesel. It works for us because we have a gooseneck trailer to haul and I love having a truck to bring home groceries and parts from town. I can take a tote and cooler for my groceries and still have room to take a tire to town for repair and flats of cans when the store has their case sale. The diesel is nice for the fuel mileage, we only get 14 mpg, but it's better than a gas truck for that size. The engine runs great always gains speed while going uphill and I just love it.

But, we are expecting our 4th child, so the truck won't have room for us. We are looking into getting a Ford Expedition (sp) I'm hoping that will still give us room for my town trips and all the kids!

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  07:39:59 AM  Show Profile
I drive an '05 Honda Element. I really like it, but wish I got a bit better mileage (getting about 25/mpg...Could be worse; our ancient Astro Van gets about 14/mpg. SHe doesn't leave the hill anymore unless she needs to haul something). I like the roominess of the Element, but the only four seats can be a pain at times. On the other hand, after years of being the one to haul everyone in the van, I get some time off!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Oh Elise, we have a Ford F350 crew cab diesel too! It's HUGE! It's got a lift kit in it so I am eyeball to eyeball with the truckers in their Semi's when I drive it!! But I'm only allowed to drive it when the CRAP-mobile is getting some new part. Most of the time it just SITS and collects dust. My husband is very paranoid about it because it's NOT paid for yet. I don't know WHAT he was thinking when he bought it. Not like it's in perfect condition. It had so many problems when he bought, it wasn't even funny --- BUT, that's a Mechanic for you! No one else could have done the work to fix it unless they REALLY knew what they were doing, and he did get it pretty cheap I guess. But it's still got Gremlins!

Melanie-- ok, you've got me SOOOO beat! The Caddy is bad, but it's not THAT bad!!!! Anyhow, I look at it this way-- it's a set of wheels. It gets me from point A to point B. I am NOT into flash (though I do think NOT being able to drive with the windows open because of the black SNOWSTORM is unfair!!) and I have driven UGLIER cars... (the Caddy's worst issues are "Behind the scenes"). I would just like vehicle that I know for CERTAIN is not going to leave me stranded. Again. And AGAIN, and AGAIN!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! Do you think it's too late to teach a 20yr old horse to pull a buggy? THAT'LL be my NEXT "car," I guess. (LOL!!) ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:28:15 AM  Show Profile
I drive a 2005 Chevy Equinox. I got it because I was trying to support American car makers and because I need something big enough for DH, my 3 dogs, and my camping gear. We can really get all of our camping gear and then some into it. I'm not sure what the mileage is, but it's pretty good. DH drives an '05 Pontiac Grand Prix. I really don't like his car so much 'cause it's so small and I'm used to driving bigger cars. Every time I drive his car, I hit my head and getting in and out isn't really fun. I don't know how he does it 'cause he's 6'4" and I'm only 5'9".

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

mulegirl
True Blue Farmgirl

184 Posts

rosemary
cottonwood pass co
USA
184 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:31:51 AM  Show Profile
Tracy...you should write country songs...or a book, Me and My Cars...too funny.
I'm on my 6th Honda, counting a beloved suitcase sized Honda generator and my Honda dirt bike. It is a Honda Ridgeline (21mpg) and is fabulous, except.... for when you don't clean 2 or more inches of snow off the roof, because it will slide at some point and it clogs up the wipers that they won't work and you have to get out and dig out the snow that fell and blocks the windshield!! This first happened in a blizzard and Icouldn't see to begin with, the roof snow slid and now I'm totally blinded, driving down the highway. I contacted Honda, but never heard back. It has happened since then when I think, oh, it won't happen, and it does.
otherwise the Ridgeline is indestructable as I fly over the ruts on our dirt road and it has never needed anything in 70k miles.
What clinched the deal in purchasing was the "hot tub" (in-bed lockable tool box) that someday I will fill it with water and bubblebath and have a true red neck soak.

Rosemary

smile, follow your heart and don't look back
http://web.mac.com/rosemaryart
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile
lol Tracy. I feel high enough, I wouldn't want a lift on my truck! When I ride in cars or smal vehicles, I feel scared, like I'm right on the ground. I don't ever want a car! I drive ours everywere, it's our only vehicle, but hubby wanted a new truck, then that new one would sit in the shop and we could run our '01 all over, but that will have to wait, with the baby and all. We haven't had many problems with our truck. Just some normal wear and tear and I'm so thankful. Easy on the pocketbook that way.

I do have a chevy 1500 work truck I drive around a bit. It's a ranch truck, not ours so I have it to run for parts if that's all I'm going to town for, saves on our own truck. And I can drive the 6 miles to the bus stop with it everyday. And it's off road worthy enough to go put out salt for the cows, so fencing if it's close by and all that. Hubby can use it too instead of his work truck, saves on the diesel.

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  08:52:50 AM  Show Profile
Love this topic. Been there, done that. Back in the 60's we had a 55 Olds with power everything except none of the power things worked. It had power windows that didn't work and when I went to the drive in bank, I had to open the door. The heater broke, ON. It was a real B---h to drive in the summer. Windows wouldn't come down and the heater was on. It was one heck of a winter car. Went anywhere in the snow or mud. One day I let it run out of gas and Ole Ron not being a machinac, had it towed off. Can't remember how long we were without a car till we were able to get another one. It was a used Taxi. The holes in the roof where the sign was mounted were filled in. Looked great but the odometer had rolled over who knows how many thmes. We finally got ahead $ and I had 2 new Cadilacs and 2 new Lincoln town cars. My last car was a Honda Accord. Drove it for 15 years and it had 250,000 miles on it. We now drive a 2003 Honda CRV. LOVE it. We bought it because it has an automatic trans and you can pull it behind the motorhome with the wheels down. Since we bought it, we have gotten rid of everything else because we like it so well. We even sold the old pickup because we can haul almost anything in the back of the CRV. Except a load of rock for the driveway. We get 27 MPG. That is from here to town and back. Don't know what we would get on the hiway because it is always behind the motorhome if the trip is long.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  09:15:01 AM  Show Profile
I am a mechanics daughter, so Tracy and Melanie, I feel your pain! My poor mama! She can tell you some stories! Daddy bought me my first car, a '69 Mustang, on my 16th birthday. I finally got to drive it to school on graduation night! The thing had to be rebuilt, front to back! He traded his baby, a '70 Econoline van that was dirt brown in color and had gold shag carpet covering every available surface inside, and $50 for it!

Currently I drive a Mazda 3 (Zoom!Zoom!) and it's okay. It does all right on gas mileage, averaging about 23 mpg, and it is fun to drive. I went from driving a '99 Tahoe 4x4 to the Mazda and it took a lot of adjusting! I loved the Tahoe 'cause I could haul almost anything in it, it was great on roadtrips, would go anywhere and I just felt safer in it. I really, really miss it! If I get to missing it too much, I'll drive the hubs Dodge dually flat-bed with a dump. It's black. Has a 5-speed. And I swear it growls!

~~Cherry~~

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you drive??? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page