Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Suggestions: Perennials--color and height needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Suggestions: Perennials--color and height needed Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  07:26:56 AM  Show Profile
I have this silly front flower bed that borders my sidewalk where things just don't really work out...in the last year, I had 5 lady's mantle plants filling out the exterior edge and then Sweet William and a Lemon Burst Coreopsis...well, the only thing remaining is the coreopsis. So, last year I planted these really tiny yarrow plants that I got on clearance at the end of the season and now they're not so little anymore. In fact, they've spread considerably and are about 12-14 inches tall. They are on the exterior border, so now I guess I need something TALLER than them to go behind them!!!

OR should I simply move them back and start over? I've never been very good at the "height" thingee in gardening--and I have a tendency to have "onsies" in my plant choices so there is little impact.

The yarrow is yellow, and the coreposis is yellow. I have a LOT of purple in my garden, and I'd like to have a riot of color in this bed...

Help is needed...guess this is why I'm much better at vege gardening!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Hollyhocks are nice and tall (4-6 ft), and they come in a variety of colors from pale pinks to bright reds and even black. If you plant them from seed, they won't flower until next year. Also, the plants themselves do not maintain a very big presence in the garden except in late summer when they are sending up the tall flower stalks.

Amaranth is a tall and dramatic looking plant. It has long, dangly flower pods in either red or pale green.

You'll probably want to fill in the height gap between the yarrow and the really tall stuff with something in the middle (2-3 ft). If you put in a clump of peonies, and another clump of mums, you would have bushy foliage all through the growing season and flowers in both spring (peonies) and fall (mums).

Those are just the first things that come to mind...I've got a rather empty new bed in front of my porch and I'm putting in some of these things this year. Mine is tricky because it gets at least half sun on the two ends, but then the middle is shaded for most of the day. It sounds like you've got a lot of sun if your yarrow is doing well.
Go to Top of Page

NudeFoodFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Heide
Benton City WA
433 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  09:57:28 AM  Show Profile
Amie, great suggestions, I love love love both Hollyhocks and Amaranth. The Amaranth always gets peoples attention because of it's brilliant colors. I love the common name, where my love lies bleeding.
And Hollyhocks are great in dry places they take so little water.
Also I wanted to add, my personal favorite, the Sunflower. I have never been disappointed. This year I planted red ones and teddybear, so hopefully I get more color and texture. They are annuals but always make volunteers for the next year.
Best,
h

Nude Food Farm
~Grown so good,
Dressing is Optional.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  11:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amie and Heide. Amaranth is a beautiful plant. I'm sitting down to make my list tonight for the mother's day shopping trip, and that will go on it. I have Hollyhocks on the side of the house (in full sun) by the rain barrel, but this bed is a little like yours, Amie, in that the perimeter gets full sun, but there is a nicely trimmed (but large) burning bush planted against the house, and that creates a bit of shade underneath it. That's why I thought lady's mantle would do well, but they just all died.

Peonies are one of my favorites, so maybe I'll do that for additional height, and then some sunflowers behind them for REAL height. I too love them. When Violet gets older, I'm going to plant them in the shape of a square or circle with an entrance for a "fairy" house....

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  12:50:42 PM  Show Profile
Phlox are nice, about two feet tall here, and come in all sorts of lovely colors. Last year we got some purple mallow, they might get to two feet this year. The flowers are gorgeous and the leaves are nice too. Calendula are not perennials, but oh what a color, like the most golden egg yolk ever, and of course I can't remember the one with big beautiful orange flowers, my brain gets empty after two in the afternoon. Pincushion flowers are very pretty and come in several different colors. Your columbine and the white violets on your blog are just gorgeous.
I tend to get sucked in by the names of the plants too, last year I spotted a six pack of love-in-a-mist and was so thrilled. The lady at the nursery gave them to me. They're not perennials either, but so sweet. Well I'm no help, I'll just stop babbling away here.
Oh, I just remembered bleeding hearts, they are so pretty, also have lovely leaves and Solomon's seal. Okay. I'll stop. Time for more coffee.

karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  1:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, I forgot about phlox, Karin! I love them, too...so fragrant! Calendula...I know I've seen it but I'm going to have to look it up. Karin, I am getting a cup of coffee for the commute to get Violet from her nana's. I run into my wall of "duh" about 3:00, so you must get about 5:00 instead of 6:00, like me :)

I always get sucked in by names of plants...that's why I have Jupiters Beard. Don't ask me what it's really called...I could NEVER tell you. It's a pretty thing, though!

The list grows. Tomorrow, my boss is in a mediation, so I'm going to hit some websites and "finalize" my choices :)

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  2:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Jonni - I'll be digging up some white peonies next to my driveway in town. You're welcome to some of those. Of course, you may not get to experience blooms until next year. Unless I dig them this week and carry some to Burlington, blooms and all. ;) They don't really like shade, though. The ones I had in the backyard got too shaded and all died out.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  2:12:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
And have you ever grown spider worts?(Ugly name, I know) They have blade(grassy) like greens and little blue(most of them) flowers at the top. They rebloom if you cut them off and would be okay in sun/part sun. They get a little taller than 12 inches(15-16?)and look better(and stand up better) if something is in front of them. My grandma had them...an old lady thing. I could bring you a pot of them. Also Siberian Iris if you want them.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on May 07 2009 2:14:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:06:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Janice! The spiderwort sounds lovely--I'd love some, and if you have any peonies to spare, I'd really love some of those, too. I don't mind if they don't bloom until next year--gives me something to look forward to :)
Thanks for the offer of the siberian iris--I have those coming out the wahzoo...which reminds me, some separation is needed, especially on the oldest bunch in the front bed.

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:19:51 AM  Show Profile
I love torch flower. I dont know the latin name. But its red and yellow and shoots straight up like a....duh.... torch. It looks like a flame. Liatris is tall and skinny (and purple). Yarrow will take over everything, but I love it. How about Delphiniums? they are tall and skinny. Also astilbe is another tall-ish plant. I have so many bushy plants that I like to fill in the gaps with tall and skinny. Also, carnations get pretty tall and come in vibrant colors. If you are looking for some annuals, try snapdragons. OH! OH! Lupines too!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~live big, ride hard, and shoot straight~
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Okay, Jonni. I'll bring peonies and spider worts. I have spider worts in back of yarrow in the bed on the side of my camper. The yarrow seems to do a good job of propping up the spider worts.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I am sitting here laughing at the name of spider worts, now I am going to have to go see if I can see a picutre of them. Great sharing girls, I don't think I could have added anything other than what you have. The only suggestion might be for a hosta or two in the very shady spot. I love their colors......

www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Jonnie I have some Jo PI weed if you want some let me know you to Janice and Lisa

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  06:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I'd love some, Miss Wilma--it's native to Kentucky so it will hopefully grow well in my spot...I've been really trying to "go native" for the last few years as well.
Thank you so much for your offer!

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  07:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wilma - I'd really love some Joe Pye weed if you have extra! I used to have some in the back yard in town(a little too tall for there) but it died out on me. I love the stuff. Butterfiles and hummingbirds love it, too.

Do you want any of my starts of Rose of Sharon? I checked on them yesterday, and it's been two weeks since I slipped them and they look pretty good to me. I have Blue Satin and Bridal Bouquet(pink/white). I also dug up a Sweet Annie yesterday. It wilted down a lot, but I'm hoping it perks up(put it in shade today). Do you want some of that if it makes it?

I was planning to bring a bunch of plants to Burlington. Are we still going? I haven't heard a weather forecast.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  08:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps me and my trusty friend, The Weather Channel, can assist you.
Cloudy and 68. No showers listed (that's two days prior) and then of course, Sunny, Sunny, Sunny, for 3 days AFTER Burlington. Cloudy is fine as long as there are no showers.

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  08:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I can live with cloudy. In fact, we've all been living with cloudy for quite a while now. Just not rainy, please....Have we ever had a Burlington day without rain????? I think Mother Nature owes us one.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 12 2009 :  09:03:14 AM  Show Profile
Agreed! I think the only precipitation free day was the one in September, when my mom was able to come. That's probably it--she brings the sun

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Suggestions: Perennials--color and height needed Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page